FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DISK Space

the-geek
This is not a problem, just looking for info.
it is not possible at all to request for more disk space? not acceptable, nah?

one more thing, can i upload a .tar straight to the server and unpack it in the server? if yes then how do you do it? i guess it would be very nice theres such facility available. i have uploaded couples of MB which was in tar format. i must be a nut then!
SpellcasterDX
At the moment, no, it's not possible to request more space. Maybe sometime in the future that will be possible.

As for your second question, you can upload a straight .tar file to DirectAdmin, but, you can't extract it. The only file types you can upload and extract in DA are tar.gz files.
the-geek
SpellcasterDX wrote:
At the moment, no, it's not possible to request more space. Maybe sometime in the future that will be possible.

As for your second question, you can upload a straight .tar file to DirectAdmin, but, you can't extract it. The only file types you can upload and extract in DA are tar.gz files.

Thanks for your quick reply. would you have some more time to say me how can i extract a tar.gz file in the DIRECT ADMIN? hanging here for your replay

Cool
mathiaus
Upload the file, in File Manager next to the file where you usually see edit, rename etc, the option Extract. This will extract all the files automaticly. You should then remove the unused tar.gz file to save space Smile
SpellcasterDX
Yes, I'm on Frihost almost every day for a good while. I have plenty of time.
Well, first upload the tar.gz file into the directory you want. (Upload the tar.gz file either with an FTP program or the DirectAdmin upload files option.)
After the file is uploaded inside the directory of your choice, find the file and there will be 3 options.

Quote:
Rename
Extract
Copy

Choose the extract option, and then all the files will be extracted into the directory you're currently in.

Edit: Mathiaus beat me by 4 minutes. Smile
the-geek
Thank you two Smile for your replay. this is the second reason what makes me come here almost everyday.
but theres one more question i left to ask..
how do you make tar.gz files? what application you use? i am getting interested because it seems tar.gz files are more lite comparing to .zip or .rar files.
Thank you Smile
SpellcasterDX
I can answer that.

At the bottom of the page in Direct Admin there's an option that says:
Code:
Compress clipboard files to /domains/yoursubdomain.frih.net/public_html/[textbox].tar.gz [Create]

The [textbox] is the box where you type in the name and the [Create] is the "Create" button you click when you're ready to compress the files.

Edit: Here, I took a screencap.

http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daexampleug5.png

(Click the link.)
the-geek
Thanks SpellcasterDX Smile
i really appreciate it.
Applause
SpellcasterDX
No problem. Glad I could help. Smile