FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy 40th Birthday Star Trek

Miniwood
Like me, Star Trek is forty this year and my relationship with it goes almost back to the beginning.

The original series first aired here in the UK in 1969. Although I watched some of those with my Dad I was only 3 and I don't remember much, I remember sitting and watching the Moon landing that year much better. It was when the series was re-run in the mid-seventies that I really got into it. It was on in the early evening, on Mondays, before The Waltons. The rest of the family were not fans so I would watch it alone and uninterrupted before they came into the room for the latest installment of John Boy et al.

The idealistic view of the future with all countries of the Earth cooperating really appealed to me and shaped my philosophy. The vibrant colours; the amazing (for the time) special effects; the intelligent plots, the short skirts and skimpy dresses. I loved it all. Looking back on it now it is cheesy and wooden, but I still enjoy watching it. Shatner is an a**, but I still enjoy watching it. It's forty years old but it's still being shown, how many other shows from 1966 are still aired?

How about you lot? Any fans of the original series or are you strictly TNG? Maybe you don't like Star Trek at all?
jeremoi
I liked the original. I could watch it in the morning before going to school when it aired on the Space network when it first started.

There was also the animated version the the original serie but it was only half an hour. I think Teletoon used to air it on Saturday along with other space themed programs.
ylmun
Has it been 40 years? Gawd. I never got into the old series until TNG came out. They had been showing TOS (The Old/Original Series) every week on our syndicated TV channel, but I never paid it no mind because I could never grasp the full meaning of the show. I do remember the animated series, but can't remember any details.

Miniwood wrote:

How about you lot? Any fans of the original series or are you strictly TNG? Maybe you don't like Star Trek at all?

As y'all might know, they have acronyms for the different series: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY. So even though I'm really, um, 21 years old, I had a funny experience. I was in a conference and we were talking about Star Trek. Everybody in the room was talking about The Old Series and this one wet-behind-the-ears guy pipes up how much he loved The Old Series. As we all agreed, he then proceeded to say that Data and Capt. Picard were his favorite charactere from The Old Series. To him, TNG was The Old Series! d'oh! We had to slap him for that.
lunatic07
wow i never knew its been 40 years thats pretty long i only started watching it when it was startrek with william shatner i thought that was the first one, wow i guess not.
cr3ativ3
I love Star Trek not so much the original series but when its on t.v. and the others arn't I watch it I like ST:VOY(Star Trek Voyager) more then the others. But I guess the special effects back when the original series was coming out were the cutting edge.

The thought of the world in that view is realy realistic. If presidents priministers and other leaders watched it. The world could replicate that world all it realy is getting rid of money so we feed people equaly use the supplies of the world for things that will help the *WHOLE* world. But country's are to stuck up with there oil. No offence to anyone.

Star Trek Inspired many new devices to be invented to name a few: Cell Phone (Star Trek Communicator), MRI (tricorder), Lasers (Star Trek Phasers) . Many people at nasa were inspired by star trek which probly meens alot of nasa's things were made with star trek minds.

Last I have noticed there are alot more "Treky's" in the world then people think everyone I have talked to that are not kids and are not part of my family most of them like star trek or at least the original version. Many of these people for some reason never want people knowing they like star trek eles they see another treky its strange I wonder what there afraid of.

Hey anyone here going to the SFX in toronto in september?
HoboPelican
Well, back in the old days, Star Trek (TOS) was about the only Scifi Show on TV. If you liked SciFi, you watched TOS!

I gotta say now, though, that I can't watch it without laughing. Laughing And I am really looking forward to Comedy Central's William Shatner Roast. It should be a blast!

I think TNG and Voyager are my favorites, but I was always disappointed at how "clean" the future was portrayed. I was looking for Wesley to show up on a beat-up freighter after he left the show. More of the gritty side of the future.
That would have been a great turn around for the wimpy Wesley!
Miniwood
lunatic07 wrote:
wow i never knew its been 40 years thats pretty long i only started watching it when it was startrek with william shatner i thought that was the first one, wow i guess not.

That was the first one, it started production 40 years ago in 1966. I guess it doesn't look so old or 40 years is not as long as you think.

HoboPelican wrote:
I was looking for Wesley to show up on a beat-up freighter after he left the show. More of the gritty side of the future.
That would have been a great turn around for the wimpy Wesley!

Wesley being slowly eaten, feet first, by an extremely toothy sehlat was my dream script.

cr3ativ3 wrote:
If presidents priministers and other leaders watched it. The world could replicate that world all it realy is getting rid of money so we feed people equaly use the supplies of the world for things that will help the *WHOLE* world.

I agree wholeheartedly, not likely though as the rich want to keep their money and their slaves. Sad
Svarn
Is this the longest and most successful franchise in television history? How long a reign it has had after a relatively short run for the first series!
rightclickscott
I'm actually watching Next Generation right now. The one with the Borg named Hue.
illegalhost
Hmm, i have never understood what was so fascinating about star trek! It seems abit boring. Some guys and gals travel on a spaceship in the universe and going somewhere noone goes before... Duh? So what?? Does anybody know why they love the movie so much in the first place?? I do not seem to find it interesting at all.... Either i'm not into spaceships, or what??? HELP!! There are so many star trek comics in the library but i would rather get the X-Men or the JLA.... No offense.. Laughing
cr3ativ3
3 words "your not human" if you do not like exploration like star trek does.
Nigeria
wow 40 years that is amazing i LOVE all the star trek spin offs they were so good.

Happy Birthday ! LOL
standready
My hat is off to the late Gene Rodenbery for giving us Star Trek. The original series was produced Paramount for NBC. They restricted many of his great ideas for the show. He stood his ground on casting people of different races. His plots covered issues of the day (equality, war, etc.) just set in space.

When Paramount asked him to create a new series many years later, they gave complete and total control of everything. He delivered a great series called Star Trek: The Next Generation.
SusieSmacktard
I'm a big fan of The Next Generation. I was about 10 or so when it first started, so I have lots of happy memories of watching it with my dad and brothers. Then my husband found it on one of our satellite channels every night. I've seen some episodes of TOS, but I think Picard is a better captain than Kirk. Picard wasn't always busy hitting on the hot alien women. Rolling Eyes
Hojo
i never really watched the original startrek much, it didnt really appeal to me. i started watching TNG and liked it, also liked DS9 and Voyager. i dont really like the new enterprise startrek though (sorry, im not too sure about the name since i dont watch it. i am however aware that it is not really 'new' but i also dont think there has been a startrek after that one yet)