FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


UNSTABLE





Dragate
For some reason, whenever I go on, (my webiste) it is always very unstable. I have trouble connecting to the server every 10 mins.

I have had this problem with other computers in other people homes too.

http://dragate-elzamaro.frih.net

please help.
SpellcasterDX
It's not your site, it's the server. It happes on all sites. The server still weirds out.
Fire Boar
Yes, I've had that problem too with my community forum. One of my users (staff, thankfully) has noticed and asked what can be done about it and I said I'd look into it.

Any idea when it'll be fixed? If ever?
Dragate
oh, thnx. Hm... so everybody has this error....

Maybe I"ll find another host(not) but just to scare the mods and admins. o.O
SpellcasterDX
lol Dregate

@FireBoar

Bondings is looking into it, but it's just that Sever 2 is still new and buggy. He says he's trying to find the solution. I dunno a specific date as to when the server will work normally.
Dragate
That's good to hear ^^

I have faith.
Bondings
Is it already a bit better? I still have a few things to fix on the server, but I never got a connection problem the last few days.
SpellcasterDX
Bondings wrote:
Is it already a bit better? I still have a few things to fix on the server, but I never got a connection problem the last few days.


Yes, the server is a bit better now. But I sometime's still get connection problems. My site also goes down once every half-hour or so. But, it's getting there, Bondings.
Dragate
For me, because I'm alwasy on my forum:

It used to happen around every ten minutes with a connection problem that lasted around 10 seconds

Now it's less frequent, but unpredictable.
Bondings
The thing is that I still have to remove an enormous ammount of accounts of inactive people and I currently don't have enough time to do them all. This should definately help a lot, even if only by reducing the server load (which should make the restarting quicker).

But I still think this is mostly caused by one (or a few) account(s), although not deliberately. We used to have a similar problem and the removal of one account fixed it.
SpellcasterDX
Bondings wrote:
The thing is that I still have to remove an enormous ammount of accounts of inactive people and I currently don't have enough time to do them all. This should definately help a lot, even if only by reducing the server load (which should make the restarting quicker).

But I still think this is mostly caused by one (or a few) account(s), although not deliberately. We used to have a similar problem and the removal of one account fixed it.


Maybe add some mod that automatically removes accounts that have been inactive in, say, 3 months or more?
devroom
SpellcasterDX wrote:

Maybe add some mod that automatically removes accounts that have been inactive in, say, 3 months or more?


Not handy. If your site is running fine you dont need to do some things on your account and so you would be deleted. So thats not a good solution. The biggest problem is for fixing the server is that bondings is the only 1 who can fix it. There are no other ppl who have an admin account. And bondigs has also some other things to do next to keep the servers up.

And the server is running smoother last time. I dont have much times-out any more, so its better Very Happy
Lilystock
I'm happy to read that Bondings is trying to do something about it. I was even considering moving out...

As I have a e-shop, it quite scares people to see some downtime like that Laughing

Thanks for your work, I know it's not easy and time just isn't extensive enough Wink
devroom
Lilystock wrote:
I'm happy to read that Bondings is trying to do something about it. I was even considering moving out...

As I have a e-shop, it quite scares people to see some downtime like that Laughing

Thanks for your work, I know it's not easy and time just isn't extensive enough Wink


If you make money with your site and you want a 'more stable' server, you should really consider to move to a paid hosting account. Just because they are more stable.
Lilystock
devroom wrote:

If you make money with your site and you want a 'more stable' server, you should really consider to move to a paid hosting account. Just because they are more stable.


Yes I know... Except that I'm not making any money with this website at all... You should see the prices I have Laughing Not that you could buy anyway, except if you live in HK too Wink No, this website is only to buy some extra Christmas Gift to my sister's employees.
Dragate
Hm... For a while back (up until two days ago) it was fine and it was not frequent at all and the errors it made were timing out. For these past two days, it has gotten quite backto the way it was before with server connection errors, but still just a tad less frequent. Bondings has a lot on his mind, but I have faith.

When you say you need to get rid of inactive people, do you mean like people who have - 10 points or less right? Doesn't the forum do that by itslef though?

If you not we should do that.
mathiaus
The forum and the accounts are on different servers. Its not as easy as saying, 'just remove inavtive accounts' either Smile
jon9314
i am also having periodic connection drops. agrivating but survivable.
Dragate
mathiaus wrote:
The forum and the accounts are on different servers. Its not as easy as saying, 'just remove inavtive accounts' either Smile


Okay. I was just thinking. Because after you get -10 points you get a notice. If you can get a notice, then can't you also make up some php/mySQL code to delete them after like 1 week of being inactive for -10 points?
orno
because we are nice people here and like to give ppl a second chance

or something like that anyways Razz
Bondings
Dragate wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
The forum and the accounts are on different servers. Its not as easy as saying, 'just remove inavtive accounts' either Smile


Okay. I was just thinking. Because after you get -10 points you get a notice. If you can get a notice, then can't you also make up some php/mySQL code to delete them after like 1 week of being inactive for -10 points?

I definately don't want to do it automatically. I am making something to remove a lot of them at one time, but still manually select them.

For your information, if a user has well over 100 posts and they are pretty good, it can take quite a while for his/her account to be removed. Certainly if he/she posted recently something. I try to rather use the points as an indication of inactivity instead of banning everyone at <-20.
Lilystock
Bondings wrote:

For your information, if a user has well over 100 posts and they are pretty good, it can take quite a while for his/her account to be removed. Certainly if he/she posted recently something. I try to rather use the points as an indication of inactivity instead of banning everyone at <-20.


Oh, that's very nice to know as currently I don't have much time to post Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Thanks Bonding, any news on the unstability of Server 2?
The_Gamer294
Bondings wrote:

I definately don't want to do it automatically. I am making something to remove a lot of them at one time, but still manually select them.

For your information, if a user has well over 100 posts and they are pretty good, it can take quite a while for his/her account to be removed. Certainly if he/she posted recently something. I try to rather use the points as an indication of inactivity instead of banning everyone at <-20.


Oh, thats good to hear, I was recently around -20 and i was worried that maybe i was still on the list that says inactive. But I'm glad im not! Very Happy
Dragate
Bondings wrote:
For your information, if a user has well over 100 posts and they are pretty good, it can take quite a while for his/her account to be removed. Certainly if he/she posted recently something. I try to rather use the points as an indication of inactivity instead of banning everyone at <-20.


I don't really get that part. So if they have 100 posts, they can be inactive for a long time, so if they still have something like +20 points, but have been inactive, will be remouved too?

If someone has just started to join and they have-20 because they just didn't post for a while, couldn't you change the settings up for a bit. (this is not a argument of lack of faith, I'm just trying to help make some stuff easier and understand some stuff, sorry if this is somewhat offensive to any of the staff or members)

Couldn't you juse make it something like that it doesn't just base on points, well first I have to understand the 100 post thing first and the -20 and you don't delte them. I can only think of it in the way that they just joined and they have not posted and are trying to figure it out, but eventually gets -20 because they havn't done it yet. So you ban them, or not?

If someone like me who stays around 15, doesn't post for a week and gets -10 can't be banned?

What's wrong with automation deletion of around -20 points?

Sorry this is kind of confusing.
Bondings
Dragate, I'll give an example.

User1 has 6 posts (the ones he made before requesting) and never posted after getting a hosting account. Once he reaches -20 his hosting account will be removed. (at least when I have the time to do it)

User2 is pretty active on Frihost, writes nice posts and has quite a few of them. But something happens and he/she rarely posts or not at all for a while and his/her points drop to -20. In this case I won't remove the hosting account as easily.

I only remove accounts due to inactivity if they have less than -20 points at that moment of time. I also don't ban the users for your information. With a few new posts they can request a new hosting account.
tony
It seems the server is particularly unstable today. I'm getting incomplete page-loads on all my sites, and even this forum at least 50% of the time. Is there any hope of better stability in the near future?
tony
well it looks like things are back to normal. thanks whoever for doing whatever to fix whatever!
Bondings
Tony, to completely fix this I should be recompiling/reinstalling everything on the server and also check all accounts for weird stuff that might potentially cause the crashes/restarts. However this takes very long and due to personal reasons I don't have enough time to do that at the moment. You'll have to wait for september unfortunately. I'm currently trying with some little tweaks to fix it a bit, but it isn't helping much or not for long.
tony
Well thanks for the info. I havent had any problems now for a few hours.
Dragate
Bondings wrote:
Dragate, I'll give an example.

User1 has 6 posts (the ones he made before requesting) and never posted after getting a hosting account. Once he reaches -20 his hosting account will be removed. (at least when I have the time to do it)

User2 is pretty active on Frihost, writes nice posts and has quite a few of them. But something happens and he/she rarely posts or not at all for a while and his/her points drop to -20. In this case I won't remove the hosting account as easily.

I only remove accounts due to inactivity if they have less than -20 points at that moment of time. I also don't ban the users for your information. With a few new posts they can request a new hosting account.


Sorry if I"m being annoing and presisten ( just trying to free up some of your time)

So i understand now that if a person has to go somewhere and cannot post, but has been for a long time posting before that, is still given more chances.

Couldn't you also make the the system look at the number of posts? It's like 10 minimum posts for a hosting account right? So if they only have 10 and haven't posted since then (or around that number becuase they just quit after a while, or forgot)

You can also tell dates right?

Just make it so that if the person has not posted for a while and points only were lost during that time, give them another 20 points when they reach -20 and have a counter counting how many times they have been given points. if after like you give them 20 points 2 times ( I don't know what your prefernce is) you then delete them. ( I mean you make code for all this, and not manually)

if they joined and only have around 20 posts and haven't posted more, and after giving them points once, you dlete them. This of course are all very bad examples, becuase I don't know what your preferences are for this.

I'm sure it can be done by coding.
truespeed
My sites been down for over half an hour .. is anyone else having this problem this morning?
Rhysige
Obviously this is on the to do list for bondings so I wont state to much other than my users are winging (ohh great -_-) and it is going through a very long down time atm :/
truespeed
saturday 9am.. my sites been down for about an hour.. i can see the pages but they are all mashed up.. is anyone else having problems with their sites?
Rhysige
no the other 4 topics on this exact problem are totally unrelated and you are totally unique in your site being mashed up -_- [/sarcasm]
poisonhzkj
I got the same problem...
tehk
At least now I know I'm not the only one with this problem Smile
poisonhzkj
Now,the php script works. but it's still unstable..I got message " it could not connect to the server" more than 30 times this night..
shoes22
Server 2 is acting up again Sad
photon
yeah.. not able to access my site Sad hope bondings can fix it when he is free
Bondings
I'm currently removing hundreds of accounts on the server and this may/does cause quite a few problems. But this is needed and doesn't need to happen often.
Ducksteina
I must say the server is much more stable now. I didn't have a single downtime for the last hours. Smile
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Linux or Windows on your computer?!
wont load images
The server seems to be unstable
Trillian
GIMP?
Interner Explorer Aborts!!
hello (...another stupid user :p)
Firefox unstable..
Why is the American Culture so unstable?
Most Christians do not read the Bible, this is a fact!
Server 2 unstable
Apache on server 2 unstable?
Wireless network setup. Unstable connection
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.