FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What has religion to do with philosophy?

hazaramat
Quote:
The Suggestions forum is there for you to make suggestions about anything on this website. We need your feedback, so please don't be too shy if you want to suggest something.

However, before you start a new topic, please search if someone else didn't suggest the same thing yet.

A list of things you shouldn't suggest (because we will never add them anyway or are already working on it):

-so I assume it's ok to suggest about: forums directory-

SUGGESTION: split "PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGION" in two: "PHILOSOPHY" and "RELIGION".

What has philosophy to do with religion, in the topic "Philosophy and Religion"? I'm shocked.
I mean it's not because philosophy sometimes deals with the concept of God (does it exist, and so on) that it should be put in the same topic (or bag, as the french say).
Or else, why not a subject "Marilyn Manson and Religion"?
Or "Sociology and Religion"? ... or "Any Topic and Religion"?

This suggestion is not just to get annoying. I think it would be very more interesting. In the "Religion" forum people could talk about their beliefs, in the "Philosophy" forum people could talk about this systematic reflexion about various topics.

To be more direct, no offense: I'm afraid the philosophic discussions are getting polluted by posters who talk about their beliefs or values, or try to convert, while philosophers try to explain.

I could rephrase:
- Philosophy is an intellectual exercise, trying to put things clear by assembling concepts, deductions, and ideas on a rhetoric outline, and where you should always question everything.
- Religion is a belief, where you try to avoid questionning (maybe I'm going too far but like this you see what I mean).

I find these two things highly contradictory.
Am I wrong?

Furthermore:
I'm not a philosopher but a sociologist, and I really would be upset if there was a topic "sociology and religion". What do philosopher have to say here to back me up? (or burn me down)

Thanks for reading and considering.

NOTE: we could even consider a topic "Philosophy of religions", while there is a topic "Philosophy" alone somewhere.
Bondings
First of all, it's pretty hard to separate them and it would result in even smaller forums.

Secondly, religion is a (part of) philosophy.

Quote:
Religion is a belief, where you try to avoid questionning

This is rather a characteristic of organized religion and a "close-minded" view of the world I would say. I'm sure this is not the case for a lot of people here which do subject their beliefs to constant questionning (or at least they should imo).
hazaramat
Bondings wrote:

I wrote:
Religion is a belief, where you try to avoid questionning

This is rather a characteristic of organized religion and a "close-minded" view of the world I would say. I'm sure this is not the case for a lot of people here which do subject their beliefs to constant questionning (or at least they should imo).

You got the point: at least they should.
But it's not sure they do. Because it doesn't belong to the general approach of religion. But it does, for philosophy.

Anyway it's not the place to discuss that.
I understand the point that you cannot afford to split this topic, but I'm still deeply shocked. Anyone else is?

Thank you for answering so quickly!

Bondings wrote:
religion is a (part of) philosophy.

arrrrrggg vade retro common sense
or maybe FriHost isn't laοc (oops)