FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beware Mobile users.

bpdwg
If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or tells that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press # 90 or #09 or any other number. End this call immediately without pressing any numbers.

There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense. Forward this message to as many friends as you can, to stop it.

All mobile users pay attention if you receive a phone call and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the screen don't answer the call, END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY, if you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a virus. This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make your phone unable to connect with the telephone network. You will have to buy a new phone.

This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia. There are over 3 Million mobile phones being infected by this virus in all around the world now. You can also check this news in the CNN web site.
Helios
Oh.. Thanks for the warning Shocked

Is this virus affecting regular phones or just "smart" phones?
mabuhay
Wow that's the first I've ever heard of that.
bpdwg
its a hoax I apoligise it fooled me. see the description of this virus from trend micro.

Quote:
Ace/Xalan Mobile Phone Virus Hoax

Type: Urban Legend

Discovery Date: Jul 18, 2005 5:53:17 AM GMT -0800

Description:

This email hoax claims that a destructive virus, capable of rendering mobile phones useless, will successfully infect a mobile phone if the user answers a call that displays Ace or Xalan.

In order to look credible, the email hoax drops names like Motorola, Nokia and CNN.

Trend Micro advises the recipients of this email hoax to ignore it and not forward it to anyone else.

Original Message:

All mobile users pay attention.

All mobile users pay attention if you receive a phone call and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the screen don't answer the call, END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY , if you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a virus.

This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make your phone unable to connect with the telephone network. You will have to buy a new phone.

This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia . There are over 3 Million mobile phones being infected by his virus in all around the world now. You can also check this news in the CNN web site.

Description Created: Jul 19, 2005 5:51:24 AM GMT -0800.

i am really sorry to post it in the forum without checking. please apologize me.
FunFunkyFritz
Was the "#90 or #09 fraud" a hoax too?
Helios
Use "quote" tags next time you post something you haven't wrote by yourself Wink

BTW, phew.... Very Happy I'm glad it's not a real virus.
Soulfire
I didn't think it could be real - but you never know. And funny thing abotu urban legends, they're designed to make you think it's real - so real you warn others about it. Very Happy

Btw, did you find that at snopes? I often go to snopes for awhile, just for fun.
mstreet
It's amazing what people can make-up and get us (the general public) to believe them.
Traveller
Yep. This is just a variation of a much older urban legend, adapted to cell phones. In general, there is a genuine scam involving having someone dial 9-0-#, but that only works on PBXs, and not for normal home or cell lines. Thus, any warnings about the 9-0-# scam that are targeted to anyone outside of businesses, libraries, hospitals, etc., are hoaxes.

For more complete information, try Snopes and AT&T.
Dustylunchbox
impressive!!!! thanks for the warning but i dont think any phones in my country are capable of being infected by viruses i live in new zealand and so all our phones are like 6 years behind Sad but still in six years time i will be careful about viruses
The Czar
Soulfire wrote:
I didn't think it could be real - but you never know. And funny thing abotu urban legends, they're designed to make you think it's real - so real you warn others about it. Very Happy

Btw, did you find that at snopes? I often go to snopes for awhile, just for fun.

You mean like Freddy and Jason? I used to believe that they were real ...
mephisto73
too funny.
thanks to the internet in is now easier than ever to spread disinformation.
desertwind
Too funny.

One of the many hoaxes around about mobile viruses.
pollux1er
You are right desertwind! That's really funny!
FunDa
It is funny, but there r some phone setting codes for nokia phones which can cause the phone to reset - not destructive though. Like *#0(something)# or something. Try *#06# to see ur IMEI number.