FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FIDEL CASTRO IS DEAD?

klaviermann
Raúl Castro, No. 2 in Cuba’s political hierarchy, is President Fidel Castro’s designated successor, although he is seen as lacking his older brother’s charisma and political flair. The Cuban leader had surgery on Monday for intestinal bleeding and delegated power provisionally to Raúl.

Raúl Castro, 75, heads the Cuban armed forces as minister of defense and is first vice president of the Council of State, constitutionally first in line to take over from the president in case of incapacitating illness or death.

A low-key figure without the oratorical verve of his brother, Raúl also wields political influence in Castro’s shadow as second secretary of the governing Communist Party.

Since the guerrilla days of the Moncada assault, the Sierra Maestra hills and the triumph of their 1959 revolution, Raúl Castro has always been his brother’s most trusted right-hand man.

He has taken on a more visible role in public, but indicated in June that collective leadership would probably govern a post-Castro Cuba. Only the Communist Party can succeed his brother, he said. “That’s the way it will be,” he said. “The rest is pure speculation.”

Cuba watchers say Raúl Castro lacks the political skill, the health or even the ambition to succeed his brother and lead Cuba’s economically crippled one-party state. Some see him serving as a brief transitional figure who would open up Cuba, a mediator for a “softer” communism or a figurehead for a younger collective leadership. All scenarios include him in the picture.

ANY OPINIONS?!
S3nd K3ys
For all intents and purposes, yes. I think he is dead.
JoeFriday
it would be somewhat ironic if Castro died during surgery, considering that he often touted Cuba as having the best medical care available anywhere
Praes
Really?
That M-Fer needs to stay alive until the US gets everything back on track.

The last thing it needs is a buncha cubans going ape and decides to blow some stuff up.

Mark my words...

If Fidel is dead or dies within the next six months......USA is going to have a BIG red problemjust off it's coast.

Fidel is A BIG Red member, but he also keeps in check. W/o Fidel, CUBA is dangerous.
JoeFriday
I have to agree with Praes about that.. as oppressive as Castro is/was, at least he knew not to act too aggressively.. reports are that his brother is much more 'radical' than Fidel.. ie, as crazy as the Iranian president
horseatingweeds
To bad Cuba doesn’t have any oil to steel. Darn it.
crasso
I watch TV news every day, read some newspapers and read some news portal on the Net, but I didn't find any data which may confirm his death. I think he just doesn't look so beautiful (for the Cubans expectations for their leader) in this condition and that is only reason why you can't see him on the television.

I expect speech ten hours long near the end of the summer, he would mention this topic surely! Very Happy

Of course, he had never put authority to somebody else in his rule history, and that may lead to this conclusion, but I just don't think it would be nice job by God to take him in this perversely world's time... I think that world just need somebody of his charisma.
tribe
The Cubans have to cover this one up. Fidel Castro is dead in my book. They will continue lying and saying that he is in stable condition, but that will be for the next month.

If I were a betting man this SOB is dead. At least I'm hoping he is dead, that could be big for this world!
ocalhoun
I think this is an overreaction: he only went in for a surgury to repair intestinal bleeding. It's not like he had a heart attack or anything. I would not at all be suprised to see him back in office before long.
cbf-cma
It's hilarious how many times the US said he's dead and then Castro gives a big show by saying "look Im not dead". Of course that can't go on forever. I think he was probably best thing that happened to Cuba because he led a revolution against a repressive US backed dicator. I hope their gov't stays strong in its defiance of US imperialist goals to gain hegemony over the island once again. I think that also would have been the intent of Jose Marti who also feared Cuba's powerful neighbor.
crasso
This link
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cuba/story/0,,1835930,00.html
doesn't follow the topic exactly, but surely could be significant. Very Happy
Tycoone
If he's really dead are the US going to plan a celebration as well?
Soulfire
I wonder, if he is dead, that his successor will carry on Communism. Looking at Cuba, I see communism weakening rapidly.
tuncay
I don't think any rapid change will happen even if he dies.

Let's hope health for him.
nopaniers
I don't know. Compare Cuba to Jamaica or Haiti. Being communist doesn't look so bad. Personally I don't understand why the US hates them. If they just ignored them and lifted the embargo then what difference would it make? Living standards in Cuba would go up, and you'd be able to buy Cuban cigars in the US. I think the US needs to realize that the cold war is over.
maclui
I think he suffered a sudden death that nobody expected so very few arragements were done. Fidel is not too old but I heard he had cancer. In previous ocasions he appeared on TV hours after he was declared death in previous occasions, today not even his brother the new chief has appeared in public.
alkady
JoeFriday wrote:
it would be somewhat ironic if Castro died during surgery, considering that he often touted Cuba as having the best medical care available anywhere

I do admit that they have alot of Doctors, But they don't have the money to have a State of the Art Hospital.

I think what they meant was they had a system accessible to all, Like any communist medical system. Not Top of the Line Care.
HDirtwater
Richard Nixon is celebrating in his little corner of hell is Castro is indeed dead. He was so close to having Fidel killed when he was vice president, and good ol' JFK just couldn't follow through.
mstreet
I was watching the BBC last night and I got the impression that he is just really ill. Who knows. I just hope that if Communism does die in Cuba that it is a slow proccess instead of a fast one so that there is no corruption like there is in Russia
horseatingweeds
Castro had stomach surgery. He is getting along but his little brother is in charge and will probably stay. Once Castro does die or enough time passes, Cuba will likely revert from Castro’s tired old Soviet-wanabe economic policy to a more China like policy. i.e. will be bum rushed by corporate America an will be able to pick and choose the sweetest fattest contracts. Perhaps some Michigan residence will start floating on rafts to Cuba. I guarantee some will fly there.
The Czar
Fidel Castro, Dead! Noooooooo! He can't be dead ... I read news about him recovering ...
Unrestall
Yeah same here, but who cares, he was leading for long enough Very Happy
sketteksalfa
nopaniers wrote:
I don't know. Compare Cuba to Jamaica or Haiti. Being communist doesn't look so bad. Personally I don't understand why the US hates them. If they just ignored them and lifted the embargo then what difference would it make? Living standards in Cuba would go up, and you'd be able to buy Cuban cigars in the US. I think the US needs to realize that the cold war is over.

I agree with you. I think with this kind of US reaction on Cuba, they just making their relationship worse. Why not lift embargo and help them instead of criticizing the Cuban government. Its already long year of cold war and conflict which proves nothing but getting the situation worse. Its time to prove that US really cares for Cuban people. I hope they prove it in action not just words in CNN.
Tiger
As far as I know, he's not dead yet, but he's bound to die soon. Even his brother is in his 70's, and nobody lives forever. In any case, his death is bound to have an effect on Cuba, since he's been leading the country for almost half a century.

It seems likely his brother will take over, but it's still too soon to tell what kind of leader he will be. Indications are that he will form a ruling council with himself as head, but who knows - we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the changes on the Cuban economy, that will depend on the new leader's world view. One thing that's been proved beyond any doubt - old soviet /communist economic policies don't work.

It's doubtful that the US will change it's stance toward Cuba until there is a full blown "democracy" in Cuba as the US understands it, or perhaps a new administration with a different view on things. Generally though, I don't see US policy changing overnight.

So now, it's a case of watch the news and see what happens...
poet
Well to start with, this man will be around for a while longer, that I am sure you can count on. Will Cuba go crazy on US because of transfer of power, I am sure they will give the states a few pokes here and there, but might wake some of our leaders to the caos they cause through out the world.

Tiger wrote:
Quote:
It's doubtful that the US will change it's stance toward Cuba until there is a full blown "democracy" in Cuba as the US understands it, or perhaps a new administration with a different view on things. Generally though, I don't see US policy changing overnight.

You know I live here in the states and almost wished I didnt when I read these things. Like any where else in the world the citzens get bunched in with all the political bs this president trys to shovel out.
crasso
Ok, Fidel is getting better, spending time with the global best friend:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/08/14/castro.cuba/index.html

scroll to the (Watch Chavez comfort and cheer his Cuban counterpart -- 1:05) )

So, one news become no news. Surely Chavez did use this situation to do marketing of his politics, and surely Fidel Castro would lean on it for a while also...

And many boxing champions would take their medals in the future especially for "dear president".

Anything new in that part of the world? Wink
clowdiaa
I hope that his brother can do as well as Fidel did politically against Bush and the US.

Cuba unlike most latin american countries, actually defended them selves against America who has screwed my native countries, El Salvador and Paraguay, over.

thank god for people like him and Chavez who stick it in Bush's face and don't let Bush walk all over them.
Linda_B
Quote:
touted Cuba as having the best medical care available anywhere

It's not just Fidel Castro who says it, it's actually true. They have one of the best medical care in the world, it just doesn't always get to the people.

I really doubt he is dead. I don't believe Fidel Castro is a character who would want to be hidden away just to keep an idea alive and I'm sure his brother would be the person to recognize that. Besides, from what I noticed when I was there it seems very much that he himself believes that all is going peachy well in Cuba at the moment and that everyone is a great supporter of the revolution. I doubt he believes he would have to trick people into sticking to the revolution. Hearing his "advisors" speak didn't really convince me either that they are capable of such a lie, at least not for a very long duration.

I think the rumors are wishful thinking combined with gossip.

When he's dead, I'm sure he'll want to be honored like he honored his fellow revolutionaries and then we'll hear about it.
elincinerador
he's not dead to date. end of story.
joshumu
I definitely don’t agree with all of Fidel's policies but I support his resistance to the US whole heartedly. Hopefully, what ever happens, they will continue that tradition. If only Che were alive.
lunatic07
hey you guys listen my dad works with the government of cuba and works very close with fidel in buisness just to tell you all hes not dead hes resting in his home while raul castro takes over to see how it is being president of cuba because fidel told him that when he dies or stops being president raul is taking over and this is true no joke. So the answer is hes still alive yes he is not dead.
simp
This is Fidel speaking. No, I am not dead. It appears, in the words of your great American writer Mark Twain, that "The reports of my death were greatly exaggerated." Thanks to our world-class (and free!) Cuban medical care.

I hope you can get the same great quality of medical care (at no cost!) when it's time for your next major surgery. Oh, that's right - you can't get good (or any) medical care, because you can't afford medical insurance, because you live in a pay-or-die capitalist country.

Sorry.
bulek
I watched him on televison yesterday and his speech. Well, he simply isn't dead (yet).
HoboPelican
Seems pointless to leave this open.

-LOCKED-