FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting your name out there

hobbkins
I'm still in high school and a full time student, but I'm looking for a way to harness my computer/photoshop/web design/coding skills to make some money on the side. I'm not really sure how promote myself though.

I can do all types of computer repair, network setup, graphic artwork, tons of stuff. I'm just unsure how to go about advertising my skills...

Have any of you had similar experiences? How have you gotten projects that pay? What are some great forms of self promotion?
Sappho
Its all about your work, if your designs are good it will show, attend some web contest here and there, get award here and there, you know word of mouth is still the best way to get known even among the elitists. Wink
grajpotti
Well Its time you study now and concentrate on what to do..

Whatever you do, Do it sincerely., It will really affect one day or the other.

YOU SHOULD HAVE AN AIM IN YOUR LIFE ... That is important

You can get registered to freelance sites to get paid.. for what you do.
Better to have good knowlegde on what you want to do.
c'tair
Ok, IMHO, like Sappho said, go to some contests, make a portfolio page, and you gotta think like a marketeer, meaning you gotta actually fight for the client, watch your "enemies", make better offers, put something like "made by hobbkins" and other ads on the sites you make, but mind you, dont overdo them , dont make them too big, and get into the bussiness, ask your friends, ask your parents friends, do it for some half price or so. Thats what I plan to do, and even if i do it for half price ill be making more money then alot of people out there, and i hope that low prices will give me more clients, although that in itself isnt too good either because as you know you need alot of time per single client, to get to know the subject, to make some research on it so a very basic site with no php/mysql/flash, but made nicly would take me ap. 2-4 days.
juliox
Hi man nice job at your portofolio, but still you need to improve try some more interactions on it, but i still like it the way it is, im also a newbie about doing this kinds of designs even if thats not my field but i like it, keep going man i i wish the best for you...
ajukdisco
the best thing you can do realy is make contacts, try and visit trade shows and do some networking, Approach small business's create a website for people to view your services .

A mail shot can be very benificail if you target the correct places.

A good way is business cards think of a company name and try it free lance you can get cards for just the postage from vista print !

good luck mate