FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RESOLVED] Audio Codec Problems

Farhad
Hey all,

I have this very annoying problem that developed recently, basically I get audio in everything within windows but not online, things like WMV video, YouTube videos and Google Video.

I think the problem is with a missing audio codec, because this did not occur previously until I had to play with some audio/video to get a certain anime to play properly.

Does anyone have any ideas what the missing audio codec is?

Specs:
Windows XP latest build with Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Edition with latest drivers.
Bikerman
Farhad wrote:
Hey all,

I have this very annoying problem that developed recently, basically I get audio in everything within windows but not online, things like WMV video, YouTube videos and Google Video.

I think the problem is with a missing audio codec, because this did not occur previously until I had to play with some audio/video to get a certain anime to play properly.

Does anyone have any ideas what the missing audio codec is?

Specs:
Windows XP latest build with Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Edition with latest drivers.

OK - google on GSPOT and download a copy (it is a freeware codec utility). Gspot will give you a liting of the codecs installed with any problems highlighted. It will also let you load a video/audio clip into it and then analyse it and tell you what videoi and audio codecs are required by the clip. Once you find which codec is the problem you can then download the correct one.
One tip - avoid these mega-codec packs that you see on the internet - like the Nimo one - there are several. In general install just the codecs that you need, otherwise you can get into more severe problems with codec routing and interference.

Cheers
Chris
Farhad
Well after much wheelin' and dealin' on the PC i finally fixed the problem myself.

Basically some codecs were messed up and I had to fix them, however since they were internal you can't download them.

I fixed it by downloaded Kazza Lite Codec Pack Standard edition which has a utility to fix sound missing within Windows, it scans the system and repairs any broken codecs.

Gspot would not have worked as this was a problem with videos being streamed through Flash in the browser.
orno
good job

problem resolved
topic -close-d