FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Calling all wireless experts [RESOLVED]

fionab
I have a home network with 2 pc's using cable and 1 wireless. All working well. I have just bought another notebook so added another wireless connection. I have aloowed the wireless connection by allowing the MAC address. Saved and rebooted the router. Alas the new notebook finds the network but will not connect. The wireless adsl router is a DSL- G604T. What else must I set up to allow the connection. Any suggestions?
turbosquid
Wirless networks can be difficult to fault find as they offer very little feed back as to where the problem lies.
I'm currently running two pc's hardwired (CAT5E) on a wifi enabled router, and use my PDA via wifi on the same network. I did experience a few problems when i first setup my PDA on my network the only real way to analyticaly troubleshoot your WIFI problem is to start out from scratch, try the following:-

1> Temporarily turn off encryption on your WIFI (encryption can quite often cause issues)
2> I would advise you temporarily disable MAC address filtering also.
3> Some routers allow you to select Wirless B or G or MIXED modes. To cover both eventualities if possible set the router to use 'mixed' mode.
4> Reset the router and try connecting again, if you can now connect then your problem would seem to lie with either 'Encryption' or 'MAC' filtering.

Obviosly you can't leave the encryption turned off but if you find you can connect without out it then at least you know where the problem lies.

Have a go at the above and let me know the results, it will give me a better insight as to where the problem may lie.

TurboSquid
fionab
Thanks it seems I was picking up the PC MAC address and not the notebook, once that was correctly set up all is working well. Thanks for the help though.
Animal
fionab wrote:
Thanks it seems I was picking up the PC MAC address and not the notebook, once that was correctly set up all is working well. Thanks for the help though.

This issue sounds resolved, so I'll -close- this topic. Please PM any mod if you want it re-opened.