FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old Software

Tony The Tiger
I just noticed looking at my most recent Belarc Advisor Profile (www.tonythetiger.frih.net/Temp.html ), that several pieces of software seem to continue to reside on my computer even though I have installed newer versions of the same software.

For example, I see multiple versions of Windows Media Player, Real Player, AVG Anti-Virus System, InstallDriver (whatever that is), and Winzip. However, when I go to Add/Remove programs only 1 of each of these appears. What is going on?
S3nd K3ys
You should typically uninstall previous versions prior to installing new ones for most programs, unless specifically advised not to. It's often advantageous to back up settings of programs you remove first, if possible, or to install over the top of the programs that have lots of modified settings, making sure you specify the exact same location for the new version as you had the old version.

Most programs let you choose where to install.
Tony The Tiger
S3nd K3ys wrote:
You should typically uninstall previous versions prior to installing new ones for most programs, unless specifically advised not to. It's often advantageous to back up settings of programs you remove first, if possible, or to install over the top of the programs that have lots of modified settings, making sure you specify the exact same location for the new version as you had the old version.

With that being said, what is going on with my machine. I.e., didn't know I installed two versions of certain software. Add/remove programs doesn't believe two vesions exist. Can I do anything to get Belarc to acknowledge only one full version is still on my machine or to actually erase remnants of old versions?
balaum
Tony The Tiger wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:

With that being said, what is going on with my machine. I.e., didn't know I installed two versions of certain software. Add/remove programs doesn't believe two vesions exist. Can I do anything to get Belarc to acknowledge only one full version is still on my machine or to actually erase remnants of old versions?

hey buddy

why dont you save all data you do not want to delete in a separate HD or CD, and then just format this thing out?

i'd do that if i was you
S3nd K3ys
Tony The Tiger wrote:
didn't know I installed two versions of certain software.

Shocked

You installed one version but there's more than one version installed? What program(s) did that?
Tony The Tiger
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
didn't know I installed two versions of certain software.

Shocked

You installed one version but there's more than one version installed? What program(s) did that?

I listed the 3 or 4 above that I have more than one version of. From what I understand, XP includes both WiMP 6 and 9 (because a lot of people did not like 9). Then I installed WiMP 10. I also specifically installed some WiMP 9 codecs.
tamilchild
What is the version of the program did you installed..
Tony The Tiger
I now use 10
Tony The Tiger
I now use 10