FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

arch linux

tony
Anyone else use this linux distro? It's relatively unknown but all the reviews online seem to suggest it is one of the best.
anurag_bhd
Not tried it personally yet. But the reviews about Arch Linux everywhere is just tempting me to try one.
I'll surely let you know about it when I've tried it. Wink
tony
yeah - go for it. only con i've ever heard about it is that it requires use of config files to customize. i like config files but some ppl dont.
surdy
i never heard of it ...so what are the great fetures of this distro tha makes it one of the best ??

can someone please enlighten
djclue917
tony wrote:
Anyone else use this linux distro? It's relatively unknown but all the reviews online seem to suggest it is one of the best.

No. It's not a relatively unknown distro. In fact, it's becoming more and more popular. I'm currently using it right now. I prefer Arch over Kubuntu. Smile
djclue917
surdy wrote:
i never heard of it ...so what are the great fetures of this distro tha makes it one of the best ??

can someone please enlighten

Well, for starters, Arch Linux is like a Slackware + Gentoo hybrid.

Like Slack, Arch's packages are plain tgz files. On the other hand, unlike Slackware, which is i486-optimized by the way, Arch is optimized of i686. In simple terms, you'll get the most out of your CPU cycles. Arch is built for speed. Cool

Arch is like Gentoo because of Arch's build system--Arch Build System (ABS). It's like Gentoo's portage where you can easily build or rebuild software and make packages.

Also, Arch is more on the bleeding-edge. In fact, most of the time, it is more bleeding edge than Debian Unstable.

Arch's philosophy is "Keep It Simple" that's why they use BSD-style init scripts as compared to other distros using SysV init style scripts. The main config file of Arch is also very clear and clean. It's very simple to understand.

I hope these info enlighten you and clarify misconceptions.

Arch Linux website: http://www.archlinux.org