FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


PhP for morons like me?





DivineConclave
Hey everyone. I was wondering if there were a PhP tutorial site that was well written and easy to follow? I have always taught myself what I know about computers which is a very minute amount compared to some, but extravagant compared to many. But I have to admit... PhP has me baffled and I feel like a complete moron because of it. Are there any good sites out there that can give me a hand? I would like to use PhP-Nuke for my site (because I have a "raid tracker" [WoW thing] that requires it).

I know that I sound like a complete n00b for asking this question. I assure you I'm not so you don't have to talk like "Are you sure your computer's plugged in" kind of support. I just can't find any good documentation on the topic.

Any help would be extremely appreciated by myself and the guild. Thank you in advance.
ninjakannon
Yeah, there are loads of php sites. You only had to search "php" on google...

www.php.net is great. No, actually... it's the best Exclamation I almost always use this site.
http://www.phpbuilder.com is OK.
http://www.phpfreaks.com is pretty good.
TomS
I got only a german one. But it's really good.
Translation by Google
Original in german

Isn't php-nuke a content management system? I thought so.
If it is one, you don't need to know anything about php.

I can't give you a full tutorial at the moment, but if you have a specific question I will try to answer it.
ninjakannon
ninjakannon wrote:
Yeah, there are loads of php sites. You only had to search "php" on google...

www.php.net is great. No, actually... it's the best Exclamation I almost always use this site.
http://www.phpbuilder.com is OK.
http://www.phpfreaks.com is pretty good.


For specific php nuke stuff I suggest going to:
http://phpnuke.org/, the official website.
And ask people for help - when needed - on the frihost forums.
Lyrics Center
php is a really easy scripting language to learn i think but if your not sure wot to do look at some tutorials at www.php.net www.techtuts.com those will help you with PHP
DivineConclave
Excellent. THanks for all the input, everyone. And yeah. PhP-nuke is a content management system, but I think it ignorant to start delving into something without a basic knowledge of how it works. I leave that to the president.
ninjakannon
DivineConclave wrote:
Excellent. THanks for all the input, everyone. And yeah. PhP-nuke is a content management system, but I think it ignorant to start delving into something without a basic knowledge of how it works. I leave that to the president.

Lol. Yeah, you're too right. Too many people delve into things they know nothing about; imagin if php-nuke went wrong, if you didn't know a thing about php then you there's a good chance that wouldn't have a clue what to do. And you wouldn't be able to make your own modifications if the need arrose. Smile
DivineConclave
Exactly. And even after learning the basics of it, I may not know enough to fix it myself, but with the basic knowledge, if I have to ask for help, I will at least be able to comprehend what is being talked about by those who help me. I did tech support for networking for a while and it was really frustrating to get those who have had their router for quite a while, but didn't have a clue how to get into the admin page or even check their IP address. Or my favourite, "open your START menu." -- "Ok. How do I do that?" -- **facepalm**
Makes ya wanna say, "reinstall windows and take the tutorial then call me back.

I don't wanna be that guy. LOL
Lyriqz
IMO php platinum owns all! *altho it is php nuke* but it has better seq. and alot more options, u can get it via search on yahoo for PHP Platinum... i would give the link to the site, but dont have it in my favorite listings at the moment =(
ninjakannon
DivineConclave wrote:
Or my favourite, "open your START menu." -- "Ok. How do I do that?" -- **facepalm**

You're saying that people have actually said that to you?#@! How stupid can you get, I mean what the hell have people like that been doing on their computers? Just staring at the welcome screen? Shocked

There some people who do / use things on their computers but haven't a clue what they are called. But, not knowing how to open the start menu, it actually says "start" on the button that opens it, and it's obviously a menu... thus it is, even without being told, obviously the start menu.

Arg, people like that frustrate me, they just don't use their initiatives. Confused
DivineConclave
ninjakannon wrote:
DivineConclave wrote:
Or my favourite, "open your START menu." -- "Ok. How do I do that?" -- **facepalm**

You're saying that people have actually said that to you?#@! How stupid can you get, I mean what the hell have people like that been doing on their computers? Just staring at the welcome screen? Shocked

There some people who do / use things on their computers but haven't a clue what they are called. But, not knowing how to open the start menu, it actually says "start" on the button that opens it, and it's obviously a menu... thus it is, even without being told, obviously the start menu.

Arg, people like that frustrate me, they just don't use their initiatives. Confused


Yes. I have encountered that. I usually have to bite my tongue but I have an ability to be sarcastic, yet professional. For instance...

"You see the big button on the bottom of your screen and to the left that says START? Yeah. Push it."
DivineConclave
Lyriqz wrote:
IMO php platinum owns all! *altho it is php nuke* but it has better seq. and alot more options, u can get it via search on yahoo for PHP Platinum... i would give the link to the site, but dont have it in my favorite listings at the moment =(


What's the charge on that? I may check it out. I just got PHP-Nuke, though, and haven't played with it yet.
PatTheGreat42
Not PHP for morons. PHP for Dummies!

I read PHP for dummies. It's pretty darn good. Plus, I like the book feel as opposed to reading a webpage. I'd go for the book.
Hammy
Thanks for this thread Wink

I would really like to learn PHP and MySQL myself Smile
Anyone who wants to contribute to my knowledge is very welcome too Smile lol

Hammy.
Related topics
http://tuvanonline.com/library/index.php
PHP-Nuke platium?
PHP Write to line
Anyone good with PHP-NUKE?
PHP safety?
req: PHP to list files in directory, and link to them
php admin and mysql admin console
Mysql And PHP HELP PLZ
Great php editor
Script php about gallery
File upload with PHP, Build an upload database for your site
[php scripts ] phpweather&email
Including With PHP
help me upgrade php to 5.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Scripting -> Php and MySQL

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.