FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Poker and the ESRB

lockwolf
I would like to focus on this section of the rating system for one reason:

http://www.esrb.org/search_results.asp?key=poker&x=0&y=0&type=game&validateSearch=1

Notice something wrong? Look closely. If you havnt noticed, a large ammount of the games on there are rated M for the same thing that the E rated ones are rated for! Does this make any logical sense to anyone? I dont see how a poker game can fall into the same catagory of ratings such as Halo, Doom and Leisure Suit Larry just for simulated gambling. Looking at this sickens me for the fact that there is absolutely why these poker games should be rated M!

Let me give you the ESRB standard for an M rated game:

MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content, and/or strong language.

Poker Games
Violence: No
Gore: No
Language: No
Blood: No
Sexual Content: No
Rating: M?

Does anyone see any logic in this? Please help the cause by passing this message on to people throughout the web and signing this petition
Monkeydog
Well you don't always know what is on the disc(which is happening to GTA:SA)
Plus if you can do what the ESRB calls real gambling then it is going to be Mature.Also poker games can have strong languge and drugs which would also suggest a M rating...
lockwolf
Monkeydog wrote:
Also poker games can have strong languge and drugs which would also suggest a M rating...

But doesnt the ESRB have to put everything on the box? If there was language and drugs, wouldn't that have to be on the box?

also explain how This can have language and drugs? its one of the games listed with an M rating on the ESRB site (ignore wal-mart screenshot of the box, I also saw in real life). it looks like an old game out of the sega genesis-super nintendo era. Its near impossible for it to have drugs and pretty hard for it to have language.
Monkeydog
Well i unno since i'm not the ESRB and i don't have those games,mabye your right i unno.