FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adobe bought Macromedia?

kazikame
I right-clicked on a flash page, and saw "About Adobe Flash Player 9". Am I the only one who didn't notice this before?
Josso
Yeah I also said to myself "Strange, I thought it was Macromedia Flash Player".
Bondings
Yeah last year.
Quote:
On December 3, 2005, Adobe Systems acquired Macromedia and its product portfolio (including Flash).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash
James007
Moved to Software.

Please look for the right forum Smile

Danke sehr!
VidE
A rose is a rose... I don't know what is going to change with Adobe taking over, I've had issues with both. But yes, slowly Adobe is trying to pry away the Macromedia branding from its line of products, a no doubt difficult task.
faker_phil
Josso wrote:
Yeah I also said to myself "Strange, I thought it was Macromedia Flash Player".

I saw that too, so I just decided that there was two Flash Players out there Wink
yairbd
Adobe is growing fast, I think it going to be one of the biggest software's companies in the world.
photon
yup, adobe brought macromedia. i think the deal was announced about a month back... now if definitely one of the fastest growing companies. and macromedia's reputation and products will only add to its existing s/w lineup
dude_xyx
i saw this few months ago too, First i noticed coz Macromedia site has changed then i d read somewhere about this it was a us$ 4 billion Maga deal i think.
crimson_aria
Oh, so Adobe bought Macromedia. I was thinking if they did but didn't mind to some googling. Adobe's really climbing to the top.
internetjobs
yes... i noticed it, now adobe becoming a very popular one.....
nomokokoa
I don't like seeing adobe's name on evertything. It makes me so MAD!
brycearonium
Adobe did buy macromedia...a little while ago. I think this will be AWESOME. i mean dreamweaver and flash and fireworks were cool...but they needed a lot of fix ups. Adobe can get that done. Looking at the improvments adobe has made to their line of software over the past few releases, it's easy to see that macromedia will definatly get better. I am so exctied about this, and i can't wait to see where it will go. I am hopeing for better intergration between the creative suite and macromedia studio. does anybody know any plans?
Josso
yairbd wrote:
Adobe is growing fast, I think it going to be one of the biggest software's companies in the world.

Yeah that's true, I used to hate Adobe. For example Adobe Reader annoys the hell out of me, PDF's are so awkward but on the other side they have Premier Pro 2.0 and Photoshop CS2, applications of pure quality.
screamingdecay
I don't hate them, I'm sure they wont ruin Macromedias software. But I just hope they don't change anything that I like about Dreamweave and the other programs I use from macromedia.
GProject
Yeah, if you go on the Adobe Products page now you can buy (or download trials) of Flash, Dreamweaver, Captivate etc. They've left the Macromedia name in the title for now.

I hadn't heard about this until recently either, it seems to have slipped in under the radar.
photographerguy
I really like Photoshop/Illustrator and Dreamweaver/Flash 8. I use them all the time and think both are good companies that make excellent products. I guess merging them might make the products even better, also maybe a price break if you buy them in bundles (just my speculation)

The only problem I see could be trying to eliminate some programs by combining some feature sets and making the programs too bloated or a new interface that isn't as good.

They will either make everything much better or try to change alot and mess up. I just really like the software and hope it will continue to improve.
avk
ADOBE TOOK OVER MACROMEDIA A LONG TIME BACK..

BUT THE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER IS A REAL NEW THING.. I HAVE NECER COME ACROSS SUCH THING..

BUT BOTH ADOBE AND MACROMEDIA HOLD THE WEB WORLD.. BOTH ARE REAL GOOD COMPANIES..
bytebase
is's a good news for ps user.

bytebase
izcool
That happened a long time ago, I think last year.

I was quite shocked to read the history on Flash, as it was originally FutureSplash Animator. That was Macromedia's competition with their version called Shockwave. Macromedia bought it out and started to promote Flash (they renamed FutureSplash Animator), since it had smaller file sizes than Shockwave files would have.

Interesting stuff isn't it, like how names can be changed like that in very little time ?

- Mike.
Kyoushu
This occured sometime last year before the 8 series came out, Flash 8, dreamweaver 8, etc. I thought this was a very good thing because macromedia products improved greatly. Flash 8 and Fireworks 8 has alot of filter effects that have only been seen in Photoshop, which made alot of things easier and better.
Anyways, Macromedia Flashplayer has just recently been renamed(about a month and a half ago??) to Adobe Flashplayer.