FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mobiles a nono at fueling stations!

Xavier
Hey friends,
Why are we advised not to use our mobile phones at petrol pumps?
what can be the harm?? How can there be fire because of a moble phone?? Does anybosy have an answer to this question?
rightclickscott
The myth was that cell phones could set off the gas pumps, but it was only a myth...

The real problem is when people talk on their cell phones while fueling their cars, they can get distracted, and do stupid things like forgot to put the nossel back on the pump, or taking it out of your car too quickly, causing it to spark. Basically, it's to prevent stupidity at the gas pump.
Josso
I beleive some TV program recently proved that there was no threat from mobile phones but as said above it can be a danger via distraction.
Becky
yeh, it was disproved (is that even a word?...) on mythbusters, a tv show where they prove myths wrong or see if theyre true.
They also found out that the type of fabric in our clothing is more dangerous than people using their mobile phones in petrol stations. This is because some fabrics can cause static, and when people get out of their cars, their clothes rub against the seat some static can be created which could then cause an explosion to happen if there was some exposed petrol nearby Smile
Josso
Quote:
disproved (is that even a word?...)

I beleive it is.

Yeah mythbusters that was the one.
Hammy
Yeh, It's just to stop people from talking and holding people up i hear. It was on the radio, talking about why mobile pones are banned in petrol stations.

They said it was proven it cannot set off a fire at all, it was imposible, They found that someone had tested this theory by placing 10 mobile phones in a room with petrol and petrol fumes in and rang them all at the same time. And.. Nothing happened. lol

They also said it can possibly affect the reading on the computer when you go to pay, because they recieve the cost via radio from the pump, it cld affect the price, lowering or raising it lol.

Hammy.
bluefossil
But I had a friend who was a brother to someone's third cousin whose roommate exploded because they were on the cell phone in the car while pumping gas.

OMG. It has to be true. Cell phone give brain cancer also. so just stop using cell phones all together.

Laughing

Seriously though, Yeah Do you guys watch mythbusters? They did the same experiment. I've used cell phones all the tiem when pumping gas. I've yet to suffer a burn from it's use. But I'll let you know if I ever explode.
Hammy
[quote=bluefossil]Cell phone give brain cancer also. so just stop using cell phones all together. [/quote]

Yer, thats true also.
So when you have your phone in your pocket and you recieve a phone call or a sms txt, all you guys out there canjust think about how it's screwing with your nuts! lol. They can cause infertility and breast cancer.

Sad
Hammy.
pjv
It was said that some sort of electro magnetic energy ??? emitting from the phone when your using it is somehow poses danger of igniting the fuel ??? Don't know how true it is but it is better to be safe than sorry. Who wants to blowup a gas station with you in the middle of it??? hmmmnn....
Agent ME
No, electromagnetic waves and/or magnetic fields won't affect gasoline. It'd be a spark that would set it off, and about all electric devices are capable of emitting a spark.
IceNinjaa
yeah to limit the chance of a static shock setting off a spark that would in turn ignite the gasoline, make sure to ground yourself (touch your vehicle when you get out). thats the main cause for the gas station fires. becuase the way many people get out doesn't result them in being grounded with their surroundings.
izcool
I'm assuming this only is around in other countries than the United States, because it's a bit uncommon to use the word "Mobile" to describe a "Cellphone" (which is what we call it). I've only seen signs that say "Turn car off when pumping" and "No smoking" at "Gas stations" (which is our way of saying, I'm guessing, "Petrol stations").

I've never heard of that before, not being able to use a cellphone at a gas station.

- Mike.
Mental2k
OMG you're not allowed to smoke at petrol pumps, that explains why all those petrol stations blew up when i stubbed out on the pumps, i thought that was too much of a coincidence!
hades9366
izcool wrote:
I'm assuming this only is around in other countries than the United States, because it's a bit uncommon to use the word "Mobile" to describe a "Cellphone" (which is what we call it). I've only seen signs that say "Turn car off when pumping" and "No smoking" at "Gas stations" (which is our way of saying, I'm guessing, "Petrol stations").

I've never heard of that before, not being able to use a cellphone at a gas station.

- Mike.

Yeh cellphone=mobile and gas station=petrol station in Australian parlance.

I was always pretty sure this was a myth but I'm still trying to encourage it. The way I see it the petrol station may be the last bastion of freedom into which we can retreat from the bluetooth handsfree mobile fashion accessory wearing morons who are taking over our neighbourhoods with their disturbing primal gesticulating and shouted conversations with empty streets. Tell your friends. Mobiles emit dangerous electromagnetic waves!
OutlawSpirit
ye... so theres no danger Rolling Eyes

just the other day i got stopped... answered a call in the station (in my car) and on the anouncers radio across the station he asked me to turn off my phone...
David_Pardy
Just FYI, Bluetooth and wireless networks operate on the same frequency as a microwave oven - 2.4GHz. This is the resonant frequency of water. The way a microwave works is it emits this frequency, causing the water molecules to vibrate and produce heat.

76% of the human body is water - over 90% of body fat is water.

Mobile/Cell phones, on the other hand, operate at 800MHz, 900MHz or 1.8GHz (IIRC, could be wrong). They have never operated at 2.4GHz. As far as I know, these frequencies have no effect on any function in our bodies and are not resonant frequencies of anything we are made up of so theoretically there should be NO risk from using mobile phones - just bluetooth.
sibbahz
I always assumed that the phones were banned as a spark could ignite the fumes if they get inside the phone but it is so unlikely. maybe if someone dropped the phone and the battery split onto spilt fuel it could be dangerous.
Aiz
o.o; There's a rule like that? Never saw such, but then again, maybe it's because it's the US (like izcool said). I never saw anything against using a cell at gas stations o.o but then again I'm pretty out of it most of the time.

I mean, smoking and car engines make sense, but cellphones? >.>
linexpert
The saying that an electromagnetic wave from a cell phone tower to the cellphone can cause enought static to cause a fire. I think this is a myth and they just don't want people talking on their phone and not paying attention to what they're doing at the gas station. I think cellphones can also trigger someother things that my cause a fire. Very Happy
silvermesh
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

actually it started as a CALIFORNIA thing...
california being part of the United states, but also being outside the planet earth at all times. Nobody actually proved that it ever happened, but the idea was that somehow while talking on one's mobile phone(i don't use the term "cellphone", because they aren't always on a cellular network), the battery shorted out, causing a spark which must have been magical in nature to jump directly down towards the gas and surrounding fumes. I think one gas station fire had been blamed for this, though it's entirely debateable whether or not a phone of any variety had been to blame.

anywhere i've been in the US it's always been more of an urban legend, not something people took seriously enough to write a fancy warning label on the pump.