FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memory stick help

fionab
Hello all
I have a 1GB memory stick whick is only registering 8mb and 12 bit FAT system. How do I get it to read 1GB?
Bender1337
hmm is it a sd (secure digital) memory stick like 4 a camera. you might want to call the company. or tey formating it.
psycosquirrel
Or your reader may not support that large of a card, especially if it is an old reader...
ocalhoun
Or for that matter, your OS might not support it. (unlikely, but who knows) This might happen if you're trying to boot off of it.
ganbate
as far as i know, 12 bit FAT system only support up to 16 MB.
correct me if i'm wrong.
fionab
I am sure you are right I just cannot get it to format higher.
Donutey
fionab wrote:
I am sure you are right I just cannot get it to format higher.

What's your OS and what's the model of the card?
sprk3
Dear friend

I feel the problem is with the os.Try to upgrade your os to windows xp or like.
otiscom
DOS determins the FAT depending on the drive size.
Floppies are 12 bit...............
Hard disks up 15 MEG are 12 bit.
I think you need a new OS or HDD or PC!

Probaly the PC is to old.
fionab
Nope none of the above Pc is new, XP pro is the OS. It seems this falsh disk does not like being removed without going through the safe to remove process. Took it back to supplier who has replaced it as they have had similar problems with them. Thanks for all your efforts.
bnbrown
May be because u use it under win xp. That usually separates 8MB for himself...
marioflory
So what should the guy do now? I also have a PRETEC 512MB Stick that says disc is write protected, but there is no such thing as a protection switch. Is it just broken?
bnbrown
marioflory wrote:
So what should the guy do now? I also have a PRETEC 512MB Stick that says disc is write protected, but there is no such thing as a protection switch. Is it just broken?

I dunno. Windows XP separates for itself a 8MB space at any hard drive you may use with the system. But not taking all from 1GB and leaving 8MB - that's strange....

Disc write protected.. Out of my understanding. Do you still have the warranty paper? How old is the pendrive?
fionab
Unfortunatley the only solution they had was to give us a new one as they said there was no way of repairing it. Sorry could not help out.
marioflory
Hey!
I have good news! I used Ubuntu Linux and fdisk and removed the partition on the Pretec 512MB Stick that was reported write protected and unformated under windows. After installing a new partition and a filesystem everything is back on track. I can use the memorystick like a new one. So if you have the same problem, try a live CD from ubuntu or knoppix and repare your memorystick. It is quite easy. I'll check if I can find the tutorial again that I followed to repair it.

Have fun and repare your sticks...

See ya
fionab
Wow that is good news. Would this also work for the diffrent memmory cards used by digital cameras? CF and SD cards?
psycosquirrel
In theory, yes.
TheGeek
If you already returned the messed up card, this thread is dead. However, if the new card is still having the same problems or you still have the old card then what interface is the flash card being plugged into (IE. USB port, card reader plugged into usb port, 5 1/4" bay card reader, ect.) That may help us determine what is wrong with the card as well as eliminate any variables.

However, off the top of my head, that does sound like either a faulty format from the factory (if it truly can be fixed using fdisk in ubuntu) or just a defective card, though i hate it when i have to say that.
ashok
bnbrown wrote:
marioflory wrote:

I dunno. Windows XP separates for itself a 8MB space at any hard drive you may use with the system. But not taking all from 1GB and leaving 8MB - that's strange....

Disc write protected.. Out of my understanding. Do you still have the warranty paper? How old is the pendrive?

what i observed is that 8 mb is reserved but it is only for hard disks.. there won't be any reserved space from memory sticks and pen drives..