FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Build a Computer for $200. ~PLEASE LOCK~

william
OK, I don't know if it can be done, but is it possible to build a computer for $200? One that has an AMD CPU and with low price parts? The $200 is just the computer. (No monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc.) I know it's hard, but I think it can be done. Please let me know.
gh0stface
This probably CAN be done. Depending on where you live and if you are risking to use used parts.

I know that in AMDMB.Com Trading section of the forums offer used/new goods with strict guidelines to minimize people cheating each other.

Hardfourm.com also has a trading section for used/new goods.

There also online retailers which, such as NewEgg.com who offer open box items.

A lot of newer motherboards also have onboard sound and onboard graphics card to minimize costs.
alkady
It's possible to build one for $200, But used. You can actually get a used one for $20 on craigslist.

If you want it new, It's nearly impossible unless it's a combination of NEW/OLD

Go for the Lowest Semprom CPU which should cost $50 or Less.
128 MB SDRAM Less Than $20
20 GB HDD Less than $20
CD READER Less than $20
Case + Power Supply As Little as $40
Generic Motherboard Less than $60
Used 17" Monitor Less Than $30
Keyboard/Mouse Less than $10
william
Yeah, but can it be done with new parts? I've found some parts using a Semprom CPU, 256 MB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive, and a DVD-ROM drive, all totaling about $270. I think I can drop some money by downgrading to CD-ROM and a smaller Hard Drive. And, like gh0stface said, the motherboard has onboard audio and video.

EDIT: Here are the exact specifications.

Case/Power Supply: APEX TM-302-3 MicroATX Mid Tower Computer
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF Socket 754 Micro ATX
CPU: AMD Sempron 64 2800+
RAM: Patriot Signature Series 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA
Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive

The total is about $245, and when you add shipping it's about $270. What parts should I downgrade?
psycosquirrel
Definently hard drive and cd drive. Buy a CD drive from a thrift store and go to Fry's and wait for one of their crazy-good hard drive deals (sometimes $0 after rebate). I am guessing after that you will be at your limit of $200.
william
Yeah, the hard drive is about $47, so I see what you mean. Though, I don't know if I can get much lower with the optical drive. (Current is $16.99).
psycosquirrel
Thrift store 48x CD-RW drive in an old build cost me $2 and the dvd drive in it cost $4 or so...
william
Oh, really? Well thanks for the information. (I'll probably buy most of the parts from a thrift store instead of newegg).
Xeniczone
only buy cd drive hard drives and stuff from them cpu, motherboard, memory or powersupply(case) go with newegg. I wouldn't trust highly sensitive and most inportant parts of the comptuer with a company that sells cd-roms for 5 bucks.
william
Yeah, that's what I was going to do. I would never buy a used CPU and/or motherboard. Anyway, by downgrading the hard drive and optical drive, I'm around $200.
Xeniczone
You may be able to work your way to a low class Athlon 64 if you work everything else down.

Like don't get a fansy case 10 dollar cast with a good powersupply and rating will do just fine.
TheGeek
It can certainly be done.

AMD Sempron processors using the Socket AM2 are only $50.00 right now and a compatible motherboard is only about $50.00 or $60.00 now. Here is what i would recommend:

AMD Sempron64 2600+ $50
ECS RS485M-M Motherboard $44
CORSAIR ValueSelect 256MB DDR2 533 $22
COOLMAX CA-400 400W PSU $20
HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 (0A30356) 80GB $43
SAMSUNG CD/DVD-ROM Combo Drive $24
COOLMAX CV-560 Case $10

Total Price: $213 + Shipping & Handling

Thats not a half bad system though and all those parts except for the Hard Drive (which is OEM) are all retail in box items straight from newegg.com

The thing that saves a lot of money on the system is the case for one, as well as the motherboard having both onboard video and sound.
william
Thanks for the information. Those parts are pretty much what I had in mind. Though, I'd probably go for a lower hard drive.
tamilchild
my listing is

1. Motherboard & CPU - intel 2.8 Ghz : Rs. 8300

2. cabinet : Rs. 1011

3. LG monitor 15" : Rs. 3800

4. Memory (DDRam)1GB : Rs. 6500

5. Harddisk : Rs. 7500

6. keyboard : Rs. 275

7. Mouse : Rs. 525
-----------
total Rs. 28901
----------

This is equivalent to 650$
izcool
Been there and done that, 3 times over. I built 3 PC's of my own and each of them cost me less than $200.00 for each machine as I was using a TON of spare parts that I had lying around. Heck, if I find another motherboard, I think I could build a 4th PC with my parts. I have the case, the drives, memory, and CPU, but it won't be the fastest thing ever. It would be a P2 system with Windows 2000, but it's better to make something out of nothing. BTW, two of the systems I built were P4's, and the other was a P3.

- Mike.
Donutey
william wrote:
Thanks for the information. Those parts are pretty much what I had in mind. Though, I'd probably go for a lower hard drive.

With a budget as low as yours using second hand parts might be a good idea to get a faster computer. (Especially using a second hand case, or a hard drive out of an older computer... cannibalizing computers saves time and money Rolling Eyes )
william
Donutey wrote:
william wrote:

With a budget as low as yours using second hand parts might be a good idea to get a faster computer. (Especially using a second hand case, or a hard drive out of an older computer... cannibalizing computers saves time and money Rolling Eyes )

Yeah, I know, but I'm suppose to stick with new parts.

By the way, I'm done with this. So, a mod can lock it.
TheGeek
What all did you end up using in the system? I want specs!!!!
Jaan
Yes, and they are currently building a project called the "one computer per child" or smething like that, where every child will have a laptop costing less than 100$. It will run on linux. Not sure on the specs, but I think it will be released in the next decade Confused