FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

18x DVD writer!!!

einstein
well, good news for those who want to buy faster DVD writers... Very Happy

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com

Quote:
Samsung India has announced the launch of its new, advanced \"SH-S182D\", Super-WriteMaster 18X DVD Writer.

The company claims that the 18x DVD writer can write with the world's fastest speed and support all CD/DVD formats including DVD-RAM.

The SH-S182D can write to DVD+/-R with 18X, DVD-RAM with 12X, DVD+/-R Double Layer with 8X, DVD+RW with 8X and DVD-RW with 6X. These are the fastest DVD+/-R and DVD-RAM speeds in the current market.

Samsung claims that their new 18X Super-WriteMaster takes around 4 minutes and 48 seconds to back up 4.7GB data on a DVD+/-R disc i.e. nearly one minute faster than the standard 16x drives, and less than 17 minutes to burn a 4.7 GB data disc in DVD-RAM format. The drive will also be available in internal and external formats with LightScribe function.

According to Samsung, the consumers can create music, video, photo and data discs easily with the free software that is included in the retail versions of the SH-S182D. Also, with the company's Firmware LiveUpdate program that is included with the drive, the user can get automatic firmware updates and thus keep the drive updated.

In addition, this drive has the special OCTOedge technology for securing the best performance. SAT (Speed Adjustment Technology), TAC (Tilt Actuator Compensation) and Double OPC (Optimum Power Control) are key technologies to achieve the best possible performance. Buffer Under Run Free Technology supports stable writing under high speed; preventing Buffer Under Run Error, Magic Speed and WBS (Weight Balanced System) are technologies to reduce vibration and noise.

The new 18X Super-WriteMaster comes with extra black bezel that enables changing the color of the DVD writer from Ivory to Black by replacing the bezel. The drive is eco-friendly and RoHS compliant, and will be available at a price of Rs. 4700.
alkady
Hehehe...Thats only "2x" Faster than the Standard 16x. That means burning time will be reduced to 12-13 Minutes for a 4.7 Datadisc.
einstein
yeah, i know. but atleast, its somewhat faster...
Antek88
very fast Smile
my dvd drive is 8x speed, but burning 5-6 minutes (very long) Smile))
einstein
mine is 16x. quite fast. but 18x must be very fast!!!
saurabh.sauron
mine is also 16x. 18x is wonderful...
JoeFriday
I've got a 16X burner, and it takes about 7 minutes per 4.7GB disc.. which is a huge improvement over the 2X burner that took 22 minutes.. but I can't see 18X being any big deal over 16X.. so you save 30 seconds.. woohoo

and this isn't exactly what I'd consider "world news"
Tiger
JoeFriday wrote:
I've got a 16X burner, and it takes about 7 minutes per 4.7GB disc.. which is a huge improvement over the 2X burner that took 22 minutes.. but I can't see 18X being any big deal over 16X.. so you save 30 seconds.. woohoo

Agreed, but then again it depends on your outlook on life, for some people it might just be life-changing Smile And of course, in the business world where "time is money" it could mean extra dollars saved or earned!

Also. now and then it's good to stay informed of other things besides wars, famines and crime.

I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon, but it's nice to know it's available. Now, off to read the "real" world news!
einstein
LOL. i consider this world news since it is for the whole world, isn't it?? and i have bought it . its simply superb!!!
alkady
JoeFriday wrote:

Actually with a Faster Computer and Faster Disc, It makes all of a difference. An 3.0 GHZ Dual Core Pentium Processor with an 18x Burner and 16x Disc would mean huge potential.

It takes me atleast 15 Minutes on Average to burn a 4.7 GB Disc and I have 16x Burner + 8x Disc. If I had 16x Disc, Then I'd probably burn my disc in 7:30 Minutes which is alot.

BTW, Even if you had a 18x Burner, You'd need 18x Disc to use it to it's full potential.
einstein
yeah, i guess u right. but that's no problem. i mean, we shud be more concerned with the speed. and i doubt we will have to wait much longer, till we have an 18x disc... Wink
Jeff_vella_leone
well im happy with my 16x dvd writer and im not motivated to get the 18x one its simply a waste of money and time for me
i can affort to wait that 1 mi nute extra
if the 24x speed comes out i would think ab out it but just 2x more its patetic to upgrade
allthough i consider that its good to know a out the 18x dvd write
im the first that didnt know about it and saw it here on frihost
gj 'einstein'
well presented post too ( by giving link)
thanks
einstein
no problem. i just got it, but its really not worth it, cos the 18x discs r not available yet!!!
Jeff_vella_leone
einstein wrote:
no problem. i just got it, but its really not worth it, cos the 18x discs r not available yet!!!

yep but those will come out sooner or later
the thing is it worthy to buy an other dvdwriter at a higher price for just 2x more?
if it isnt at least 24x (from 16 to 24 theres a big difference) i wont buy it