FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ugh... ancient scanner is not wanting to load...

cocobirdi
i borrowed a pretty old scanner from someone to see if i could get it to work on my compy, but it won't load.

it's an InfoTech "ImageReader Express" flatbed scanner (ICD435 ver. 13.3-795260) and this'll date it for you: "Win 95 & 3.1 compatible". followed the installation instructions (it wouldn't even load automatically!) on the program disk and that was supposedly successful, but when i click the shortcut, it says "Scanner DLL not found!" i know i've got it hooked up in all the right places, powered up, little green light's on, but eh... still no luck. even tried the Add Hardware Wizard but it always says an error occured.

it's old stuff, they shouldn't be that complicated. it's been stored in a computer desk and pretty much not touched. the disk doesn't show any damage either. wtf is up? any clue?
cocobirdi
btw, i've got a very new e-machine that's running windows xp.
FunFunkyFritz
Try to look for new drivers on the net.

I did some googling and i found this: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-19035.html
Maybe it helps some?
cocobirdi
Quote:
Played around with a few of the settings, and finally managed to get the darn thing to work... I guess for the type of parallel port, it was set for EPP. The scanner wanted it to be SPP. The stupid auto-detect thing in the "infotech scanner utility" program doesn't work right! Have the thing working again!

JW

[This message has been edited by JW310 (edited 11-24-1999).]

... how would one go about messing with the settings? (couldn't find a way to reply on that board)
FunFunkyFritz
If I'm not mistaken you can usually set the behavior of the parallel port in bios..
my 2 cents.
cocobirdi
teehee... english for the poor basic-compy person? Smile

lol what the heck is a bios?
FunFunkyFritz
BIOS is short for "Basic Input/Output System", it's the thing your computer uses when it boots up.

There is a key you can press, when your computer boots up, to enter the bios configuration. Usually it says "Press Del to enter setup", but sometimes it's another key you'll have to press (e.g. F11, Ins or F12)
cocobirdi
thanks!!! i'll go try that! Smile
cocobirdi
upon checking, i didn't have the spp option that the guy said worked for him... i only had normal, bi-directional, and epp modes. and i'm scared to just select something and see lol Smile any suggestions?
cocobirdi
no suggestions?
FunFunkyFritz
I should not really answer this as i don't have any useful suggestions...

But maybe you should try to set it to "normal" once again in bios, and then try to change the settings from within Windows. Try to access the parallell port from the device manager. There are usually some settings you can change there.
If you can't find the device manager then press F1 and search for it in the help files.