FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Laptop!

udaykamboj
I need a new laptop with the following core requirements,

11.1" or 12" screen.
1GB RAM
80 GB HDD min.
DVD-RW
A video card is an added advantage

Which are the new models I shoul be aiming at, cost is a constraint. $1700

PLease let me know your opinions and help me out, I start with my masters program soon and hence am in need of one.

Thanks
Xeniczone
Would you be interested in a Apple. It would come very handy if you get a g4 with a 12in screen. I don't thing apple offers them new but you can find a deal in Apple referbished. These will cost less then 1000 dollars.

If you need special software not for apple I would suggest not to buy from HP. I had quality issues with their laptop.
alkady
At $1,700 big ones, You can buy nearly any laptops. Actually if you where going to spend that much, You should go for a Laptop with the Core Duo Processor on a Mac Book or PC Laptop.

Most laptops at that price have 128 MB Video Cards + 100+ GB 4,200 RPM HDD and so on.

...But before you buy, You should enquire with your University what computers they use. I see this problem alot where people buy Laptops and it turns out their School is Mac Oriented or atleast their courses are and it really creates barriers for them afterwards.
kiranaghor
Macbook rocks! Go for it. First make sure that the piece u get does not heat up too much and shuts down. Some macbooks have that porblem. Or go for macbook pro. It is really a wonderful product.
psycosquirrel
I don't think a Mac would be the best option for school, though I am sure people will argue my opinion. PCs are used much more than Macs in school and PCs would be the most compatible with any classwork you have to do.

Get an IBM Thinkpad. The T43 is very nice, though it may be slightly above your price range.
orno
i see you're looking at 11 or 12 inch screens...
im assuming u want a really "portable" laptop and for that price (1700) u can get something like a Samsung Q35...those generally have battery lifes in excess of 10 hours...

otherwise u can always get a "normal" laptop with a battery life of 3-4 hours like those mentioned here
ramesh_nim
It depends on for what purpose are going to Use.

Multimedia - Go for Mac./Sony
Programming/Work - go for IBM or DELL Latitude
TheGeek
If your going to be using it for school and things like taking notes, i would recommend one of the Toshiba tablets that can turn from a laptop to a tablet just by flipping the monitor. With your price restriction you should be able to get a nice one of these easily.
screamingdecay
I would say the Dell Inspiron 6000.

It has a bigger screen and more punch for the buck.

For 1,500 my Labtop has

1.8ghz Pet. M. (Got this before the Duo CPU's came out)
1GB DDR2
ATI Radeon x300

I can play UT2004, FEAR, CSS with no framerate drop at all and do things like flash work, and 3DS Max Work.