FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

mplayer on linux

manumiglani
Is there any debian installation package (.deb) available for mplayer?
modak
Debian unfortunately doesn't ship with mplayer by default in its repositories. Ubuntu does Smile To install mplayer on Debian, you have to add a couple of repositories. To get a full understanding of how to set-up mplayer, visit this site:
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
The relevant entries to add are at the bottom of the page.

Briefly, here's the procedure :
1. Open up /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite editor (you have to have root permission)
2. Add the relevant lines.
3. back at the root prompt, do apt-get update
4. Install mplayer apt-get install mplayer

HTH
manumiglani
modak wrote:
Debian unfortunately doesn't ship with mplayer by default in its repositories. Ubuntu does Smile To install mplayer on Debian, you have to add a couple of repositories. To get a full understanding of how to set-up mplayer, visit this site:
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
The relevant entries to add are at the bottom of the page.

Briefly, here's the procedure :
1. Open up /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite editor (you have to have root permission)
2. Add the relevant lines.
3. back at the root prompt, do apt-get update
4. Install mplayer apt-get install mplayer

HTH

Hello modak,

Thanks for your reply and help. But it shows me four packages to install. can you let me know how to select one of the packages...... Here is the screenshot of what I got

corey
the "nogui" version does not have a GUI, so it'll be better for fullscreen only or from a framebuffer.

the "k6" one is optimized for the AMD k6 platform (should work on the k7 as well)

the "586" one will work on intel processors (and AMD and Cyrix, etc) from Pentium 1 level and above.

the "386" version will work on 386 processors and above. This is the one you'll want if you're not sure which you want to install.
manumiglani
I know I have to use 386 but can you let me know which command in console should I use for it. I am not a hero in console commands and all dat.
djclue917
manumiglani wrote:
I know I have to use 386 but can you let me know which command in console should I use for it. I am not a hero in console commands and all dat.

# apt-get install mplayer-586 (if you're using a newer machine, that is, newer than i386)

(otherwise...)

# apt-get install mplayer-386

A menu entry will then show up in K Menu. If that doesn't happen, run kbuildsycoca from the console. (just ignore any warning or error message that may appear).

MPlayer (CLI):
$ mplayer

MPlayer (with GUI):
$ gmplayer
manumiglani
djclue917 wrote:
manumiglani wrote:

# apt-get install mplayer-586 (if you're using a newer machine, that is, newer than i386)

(otherwise...)

# apt-get install mplayer-386

A menu entry will then show up in K Menu. If that doesn't happen, run kbuildsycoca from the console. (just ignore any warning or error message that may appear).

MPlayer (CLI):
$ mplayer

MPlayer (with GUI):
$ gmplayer
]

Hello djclue917
Thanks for your help......... I did that but it seems that are a lot of dependencies that are needed to be installed first. I will install them. Thanks once again.

Manu