FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best college for me?

webcola
Hi,

I'm having trouble picking the best campus for myself. I looked in princetonreview and other sites for information about colleges, but I have a tough time deciding.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm looking for a campus that is nice and surrounded by a metropolis. Any suggestions would be nice!

Thanks!
philsanter
Most college prep sites suggest that you should go where you "feel comfortable." That is, of course, a copout, but it's pretty decent advice. The only problem is that when you're 17-18 you don't have much of an idea where you are "comfortable."

I'd suggest doing some college touring, if you have the chance to travel.

Personally, I'd suggest Boston, which has some great colleges. But maybe you prefer something warmer.
oddinn686
philsanter wrote:
Most college prep sites suggest that you should go where you "feel comfortable." That is, of course, a copout, but it's pretty decent advice. The only problem is that when you're 17-18 you don't have much of an idea where you are "comfortable."

I'd suggest doing some college touring, if you have the chance to travel.

Personally, I'd suggest Boston, which has some great colleges. But maybe you prefer something warmer.

Yea Boston is defenetely the way to go. That's where I'm going this fall.
Smile
alkady
You never specified what you are looking for...

...I'd obvious recommend Harvard or Stanford, Unless you want to travel abroad in international studies and go for Oxford or McGill or stuff like that.
horseatingweeds
I have some advice.

Look ahead after you get done with school. Six years or so from now where do you want to be? Don’t focus on ‘the college experience’. You can get that everywhere. These years are pivotal.
mzugnoni
My general advice is this: No matter where you go, so long as you do well, you'll be able to do what you want to do. For example, I went to a state college because I couldn't afford anything else. Nevertheless, I got into a top-tier law school with a full scholarship.

With that said, here are some other things to consider:

1) Do you want to be close to home? If you ever have an emergency, it's good to be close to your parents and loved ones because they'll be the ones you'll be leaning on for support. But if you need to be on your own, you might want to consider a university further from home.

2) What do you want your major to be? If you're not sure, is there an undecided major and is the school supportive of people in that major?

3) Do you want to be involved in certain extra-curricular activities, such as sports or sorority/fraternity? Most schools don't offer everything, so you'll want to check into what they do offer.

4) Is the population commuter, or do you have a chance to make friends? Which one is more important to you?

5) If you require a dormitory, does the college have one? How clean and safe is it? For example, I moved into a dorm where drunken people came in off the streets and slept in the stairwells. Also, what kinds of activities are arranged through the dorm, and is there a chance to meet other people?

6) How supportive is the school? How long would it take you to speak with a counselor?

7) If you will not be receiving medical insurance anywhere else, does the school offer medical insurance?

Cool If you need to work, are there a lot of opportunities nearby?

9) Do you want to live in a city, suburb, or small town?

So on and so forth. Considering these questions should help.Wink
SlowWalkere
I just finished four years at Rutgers, the State U of New Jersey and I agree with mzugnoni. Don't overlook state schools just because they are close. They are often cheaper than private or out of state alternatives and are probably better than you might think. If you're taking out loans to pay for school you might not appreciate that 'cheaper' part now, but you'll definitely appreciate it later.

As for going away from home, the important thing is to live on campus. If you live on campus, you can be as far from your family as you want to be. But, if campus is close to home, you can still go home on the weekends for a home cooked meal, free laundry, to see your friends, etc. If you go to a school on the other side of the country, you've really got no choice but to state at school until the end of the semester (or maybe coming home once in that time frame).

I would also warn against picking a major prematurely. It is a good idea to go to a school that has a good program in an area that you're interested in, but you don't want to exclude all of the other possibilities. What you think you want to do at 17 or 18 is not necessarily what you'll want to do a few years later. I went to Rutgers with a declared major and changed it before the first semester was over. It's definitely wise to choose a school that has a variety of good programs, in case you change your mind.

- Walkere
tamilchild
Name of the college is not important thing but the course is very important one if you learn in good course even in small college..
grajpotti
Well You should look for a Good Reputed College and I can say the Course shoulld be one that you LIKE. Else Dont join. Because You will feel bad later.

You can ask a student of any college about that colege and ask him about joining the college will help or not.
theSilverstein
George Washington, American, and Duke are good schools in D.C. Columbia and NYU are good schools in NYC. If you can get into any of those, and are interested in what they have to offer you should go for the one you like best. NYC and D.C. are both amazing places to live, study, and work, so if a bid city is what you want I'd look in those areas. There are other schools in those areas too, so if you rnt at that level don't worry. I went to Binghamton, which has a good reputation for its education, but totally blew as far as off-campus life was concerned (the city was complete bs, broken down and depressed). I might do things differently if I had the chance.
thealpha
Do you like studying oversea?