FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Standby Mode

Tony The Tiger
Now when I select the turn off computer button on the start bar, I have the choice of standby, turnoff and restart. If I hold down the shift key, the standby option will become a Hibernate option. I am unfamiliar with the standby option. I tried it and it just seemed like my computer was frozen. How do I use standby or how can I just eliminate it and go back to a Hibernate/Turn Off/Restart set of options?
FunFunkyFritz
On my Xp 'puter i have to press the powerbutton to get back from standby mode, did you try that?
Xeniczone
Standby...

It takes the computer and turns of devices it doesnt need. USB, Video Cards Hard drives. Over all Turning of the computer, but keeps the motherboard and power supply running on low watts so your using next to no electricity.

Then when you want your comptuer instead of having to boot it up just push the powerbutton and windows is poped back up.

Some computers will turn the keyboard and mouse off others do not. I think it is stupid if they don't.
Tony The Tiger
Apparently, my mouse and keyboard are turned off in standby. I am afraid if I hold the power button down to long it will shut off instead of exitting standby. I have found the following page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893056

I am not sure exactly what is telling me to do. Am I suppose to download Msgina.dll then do steps 1-11?
Xeniczone
You don't have to hold it.

Just push it.

Quote:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
3. Right-click Windows, point to New, and then click Key.
4. In the New Key #1 box, type System, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click System, point to New, and then click Key.
6. In the New Key #1 box, type Shutdown, and then press ENTER.
7. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
8. In the New Value # 1 box, type ShowHibernateButton, and then press ENTER.
9. Right-click ShowHibernateButton, and then click Modify.
10. In the Value data box, type 1, leave the default Hexadecimal option selected, and then click OK.
11. Quit Registry Editor.

That is all you have to worry about, but this can be dangerous messing with your RegEdit. It controls the entire windows Operating System.

Hybernate and Standby are not recommended. Though your computer turns on faster. It will not proform faster.

Hybernate and Standby take your memory and store it on the hard drive vs Erasing it like in Shutdown. So when you turn your computer back on it places it back into the memory.

This can easily after a week fill up your memory and you computer will start to slow down. These methods of "shuting down" are only good if you need to contiune some works like programming or 3d art or word processing. Without closing or saving your work. Though saving is recommended.
Tony The Tiger
Xeniczone wrote:
You don't have to hold it.

Just push it.

Will try Thanks.

Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
3. Right-click Windows, point to New, and then click Key.
4. In the New Key #1 box, type System, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click System, point to New, and then click Key.
6. In the New Key #1 box, type Shutdown, and then press ENTER.
7. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
8. In the New Value # 1 box, type ShowHibernateButton, and then press ENTER.
9. Right-click ShowHibernateButton, and then click Modify.
10. In the Value data box, type 1, leave the default Hexadecimal option selected, and then click OK.
11. Quit Registry Editor.

That is all you have to worry about, but this can be dangerous messing with your RegEdit. It controls the entire windows Operating System.

It did not work.
Xeniczone
Sorry, if you did exactly as it says and it didn't work then I don't knwo Sad
sceptileex
Standby should work, if your keyboard has a wake up key just press it or press the power button. IF it dosent work theres probably something wrong with ur com.
orno
sometimes, moving the mouse or pressing a key on your keyboard wakes up your computer from standby too...
orcaz
pressing escape button on your keyboard wakes the computer up too... did u set ur comp to turn off ur keyboard during standby? u can chck throught the device manager.
Tony The Tiger
My problem is that when it wakes up it is barely functional. E.G., If I type in my windows password, it will take about 1.5 minutes for it to catchup with my 8 character entry. Then pressing enter takes another minute or two. It takes me forever to get anything done after going into standby.