FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ps3's Price Tag!

ChopSuey
So the release date for the ps3 is drawing closer and we are now started to more and more details. We have seen the latest pictures and specs. There is even a small list of games that are already released to come out. The real question is though are you willing to spend $600 on a gaming system? I am sure there are a bunch of playstation fans out there that dont really care about what the price is but what do the other people think about it?

I may as well add that the playstation 3 will have some of the best graphics and processor out for the time being. Although with the new blue ray technology on the disk it has made things even more expensive. Now they have to raise the price of the games to up around $80 each. Now it might just be me but i was complaining about the $50 games when the ps2 and xbox/360 came out.

I do agree with the others this system is probably going to be a well made system, i have no doubts there. But how many people are actually willing to spend that much money on a gaming console?

There is also a feud between microsoft and sony because they are trying to release very popular items on the sameday. Sony is releasing the ps3 and microsoft will be releasing halo 3. Do you think this factor will also hurt sony's sales? Its pretty obvious it would a little bit, but who knows halo is never released on time so maybe it wont even come out the sameday.
Reaper
The price tag is a little steep given but the prices on the ps3 will drop after a while so i'm sure if your willing to wait for the price drop it will be a great council system. Besides its not as expensive as some computers are today, and the ps3 is basicly a computer built for playing games and only games.
xorcist
That's the same reason most people are not even going to buy it just because of its price they could at least down the price down a couple hundred of dollars. Most of them are just going to wait till the price drop. They might as well wait while the rich kids get it now and then later on they drop there price and they can make some more money.
clownFart
ChopSuey wrote:

...I may as well add that the playstation 3 will have some of the best graphics and processor out for the time being.
Well mabey the one of the best prossesors, but defenalty not graphics, its not even out yet and my pc has a better card.
ChopSuey wrote:

I do agree with the others this system is probably going to be a well made system, i have no doubts there. But how many people are actually willing to spend that much money on a gaming console?
Dumb ****s
ChopSuey wrote:

There is also a feud between microsoft and sony because they are trying to release very popular items on the sameday. Sony is releasing the ps3 and microsoft will be releasing halo 3.
Uhhh, Halo 3 has no release date yet, so don't say there coming out on the same day.
ChopSuey wrote:
Do you think this factor will also hurt sony's sales? Its pretty obvious it would a little bit...

why, if im going to buy a ps3 and halo 3 is on the shelves im not going to buy a X360 instead.
ruelle4143
This time, is it the PS3 who's got better graphics? X360 Looks lil' better to me...
william
The Playstation 3 may be very expensive; though I still find it a low price if you compare it to Blu-rays, but yes, it's procey for a console. Also, there is the $500 version, though I don't think it's a good idea to get it. Its hard drive is smaller, but the main problem is no HDMI. I, probably, will wait for a price decline (in both games and the console).
Tulkamir
I wish I could find it, but some guy posted a bunch of research done on the pricing of the PS3. It is actually around the same price the xbox and ps2 were on release with inflation taken into account.
clownFart
Tulkamir wrote:
I wish I could find it, but some guy posted a bunch of research done on the pricing of the PS3. It is actually around the same price the xbox and ps2 were on release with inflation taken into account.

uhhh no, they were not 600$$$$ at lauch, and for those waiting for a price drop expect getting your console in 2008-2009.

Also, the X360 graphix card IS better that the PS3's. but you wont realy notice any difference between ports, the cosoles are pretty identical other than the PS3's hdmi and blu-ray.

All it comes down to is the games. Do you like to play crapy japanese games or high buget western/european games?
sgwreviews
I also think you should really keep in mind the price of the games, cause it's really high. And I don't think that many people will wait till the price of those games drop, cause they will be out of date then.
linexpert
In my opinion, Microsoft made a smart move by stopping the 399 system from selling. This way they'll be almost half the price of the ps3. This will make a huge diffrence. People are going to start questioning if it's worth double the price to get ps3. Are the graphics really that worth it?
Moey
Just play a computer! Thats all the consols are anyways. I like the abililityto use a mouse and have a large selection of games, as well as doing other tasks rather than games.

I only like consols for playing them with friends or whatever. Nintendo 64 is still fun and the games are like 10 bucks, so I'm not complaining!
Hojo
right now i dont plan on buying a ps3. as said before it is way too expensive. if i were to buy it i would wait till price drops, even if it takes to 2008/2009 i wouldnt care much, i mostly play PC and many games that are released on consoles are also released on pc. i wouldnt even mind the outdated games at that point, it really depends on how you look at it. there is nothing bad about playing a gam 2 years after it is releades. a week ago i bought a 6 year old game and still had tons of fun playing it despite it being outdated.

in my opinion you also cant say that all japanese games are crappy and that all western/european games are good. the best example i can find atm would be the final fantasy series. ok, some parts are better than others, but id have to say none of em was crappy (havnt played ffx-2 yet, so dunno about that). besides, theres also tons of western/european games for ps2, just look at all the games EA releases for ps2 or the GTA series.
vln004
no thank you, i will get a nintendo wii and i hope a lot of people do too. We need to let these people know that 600 is waaay too much for a video game console.
m00tmuffin
Aye...way too much cash for this, imo. Lots of kids don't have that kind of cash to shell out...but I bet it'll still do alright. But even then, with such an expensive system and expensive games...only those who really really really want one are going to bother with it. I'll probably buy a Wii myself...but who knows, maybe they'll lower the price again around the seasons like they always seem to do.
clownFart
Hojo wrote:
in my opinion you also cant say that all japanese games are crappy and that all western/european games are good. the best example i can find atm would be the final fantasy series. ok, some parts are better than others, but id have to say none of em was crappy (havnt played ffx-2 yet, so dunno about that). besides, theres also tons of western/european games for ps2, just look at all the games EA releases for ps2 or the GTA series.

ok 3 out of twelve ff games were dencent, but just take a look at some of the jp games and you'll be like wtf is this crap, and ea games are all ports, if you can 1 good western/europeane game only for the ps2 ill give all my frih$$.
CtrlAltDeleteDie
I think the price is high, but it is for a good reason. I found this website (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060219-6216.html) that lists the component prices for the PS3 at a total of US$800. The blu-ray drive alone is upwards of $350. It may be alot, but $ony has their reasons, and i'm sure that many people are going to be willing to spend $600. I also think the people who are going to wait for prices to go down are out of luck, becuase I doubt Sony will even think about lowering the price for at least a year.

As for Halo 3. If you have an Xbox 360 and are going to purchase a PS3 also, you should have enough money to buy both. And I dont see how it would hurt their sales anyways. They are different systems.
Navan91
Quite Expensive.. moreover i dont like consoles.....!
Saryon
I'm going to get a Nintendo Wii. First of all, PS3 is way too expensive. Okay, it has nice graphics, but that's not everything, far from. I'd prefer Nintendo because of the gameplay, and the games of course.
Second, Nintendo Wii is as good as the PS3, it's just a different style of gaming. And the Wii costs about $ 150 I thought, or even less...
Binary
clownFart wrote:

All it comes down to is the games. Do you like to play crapy japanese games or high buget western/european games?

Metal Gear / Resident Evil series = win..
I enjoy the crappy jap games for my Console, and Blizzard games for the pc.
lunatic07
well i disagree that xbox360 has better graphics then the ps3 i want you all to look at this game trailer the graphics are intense i compared it to 360 and i agree ps3 graphics are better heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgY_04bBXS0&search=metal%20gear%20solid%204
clownFart
lunatic07 wrote:
well i disagree that xbox360 has better graphics then the ps3 i want you all to look at this game trailer the graphics are intense i compared it to 360 and i agree ps3 graphics are better heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgY_04bBXS0&search=metal%20gear%20solid%204

ok im just going to laugh in your face because thats just some cgi bs. hardware wise the x360 has a better gpu that the ps3, simple as that.

Binary wrote:
clownFart wrote:

Metal Gear / Resident Evil series = win..
I enjoy the crappy jap games for my Console, and Blizzard games for the pc.

ok resident evil was for gamecube, so no. metal gear is the worst crap ever and if you think other wise your just a dumb fanboy
so you dont win
djsamsung
i'm gonna wait till the price has gone down Confused
Fire Boar
I find that 99% of good games on the PS2/XBox are out on the PC and play better on the PC. The Gamecube has a load of unique titles so I bought one of them (you never see Mario/Link/Metroid/etc on any other console) and had oodles of fun on it. The PS3 looks to be another PS2 games-wise. So I think I'll stick to my PC thank you very much. The price tag of $600 is ridiculous. The Wii I am going to get, because not just some but ALL the games on that are going to be Wii-exclusive. ALL of them! EVERY LAST STINKING ONE OF THEM!!! The Wii-unique control system made that so, and I am SO getting a Wii not to miss out on them.

My PC is custom built, built around 6 months ago. It has all the best possible hardware that was available at the time. Everything about it exceeds the PS3 and all that (including the monitor) cost me just under 1200. That money is for a machine that is likely to last many many years down the line, with everything a PC can do, running sweet as a nut and hardly heating at all. It's been on for 6 hours already today and the fan I cannot hear without putting my ear right up to the box. That may be for just under three times the price of the PS3 (UK price in pounds), but it's definitely worth it. It's worth more than 10 times the PS3 in my opinion.
sgwreviews
Jeah, I really like the nintendo way of working with all the games that are just made for a nintendo, and nothing more.
Tycoone
Wait for the PS3 Price to drop. They are pretty unstable for the 1st year from the publish date. The parts might also be malfunctioning and causes distress to many people.

In my opinion, I will develop a wait and see approach. You might not know the variety of games the PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii offers. It isn't necessarily that when demand increases, price will increase, so don't rush to your nearest store yet.

I'm just contented with my PS1 anyway =D. Didnt bother to buy a PS2 because I predicted (correctly Very Happy) that PS3 do indeed have backward compatablity with PS1 and PS2 games.
driftingfe3s
CtrlAltDeleteDie wrote:
I think the price is high, but it is for a good reason. I found this website (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060219-6216.html) that lists the component prices for the PS3 at a total of US$800. The blu-ray drive alone is upwards of $350. It may be alot, but $ony has their reasons, and i'm sure that many people are going to be willing to spend $600. I also think the people who are going to wait for prices to go down are out of luck, becuase I doubt Sony will even think about lowering the price for at least a year.

I totally agree. The components are very expensive even if they were to cut cost by increasing manafacturing efficency the price will not drop that much. I would think that after the first year the price drop won't be more than $50 and it will still cost $150 dollars more than the Xbox 360. Also becuase the games will be on Bluray media games PS3 games will also cost more.
Priest83
Sony have done the right thing releasing the PS3 close to Xmas, but how many people are gonna be dissapointed? Many. Even Pre-orders these days dont guarantee you'll get the console on its day of release. Also the price, I know it has a blu-ray drive etc, but 500 quid?! Companys like sony lose out in the first couple of years due to manufacturing costs, this sounds like Sony dont want to this time, passing the cost onto the consumer...big time. No game on Earth is worth 50 quid either, how much are blu-ray, 5 quid? how do they justify all the rest of the money in profit, there on a real money spinner, and there are enough mugs out to there to line their pockets. Yea ill but one, but not till they slash that price, ill be wating a long time.
Zpanzer
Im glad that i decided to buy a 360 instead of the PS3 after seeing that it will cost 2000 more of my national currency wich is a lot of money to spend on a single gaming console.

Some people will disagree and say its a small price for wonder like the PS3, since it will have better hardware stats, but then its also a matter of taste, i have been a proud owner of both PS1 and PS2 and i must say nothing beats setting with 2 friends smacking each other in Tecken 3 or racing against each other in top tuned cars from Need For Speed: Underground, or shooting in Medal of Honor.
But i must say when i saw the first pictures of the Xbox 360 i got in love and didnt even think twice before i sprinted up and bought it on the day it got released with the game Call of Duty 2. One the reasons why i didnt go with the PS3 is that i really love xbox live, a thing that the internet provided to PS2 will ever match, downloading demoes, playing/voice chatting with friends and so on is the thing that hooked me.
TSpiralP
Yeah the price tag is real pricey... But they will drop the prices for sure. on top of that how much will the games be? 60 bucks?, dude wayy too much money
Reaper
ruelle4143 wrote:
This time, is it the PS3 who's got better graphics? X360 Looks lil' better to me...

In fairness hardly anyone has played the ps3 so you can't really say 360's graphics look better. That would be like judging a game based on the intro of it, only to realize they used all the nice visual art/graphics in the very start so the rest of the game plays with horrible graphics with long loading times. it's sad but some companys spends millions on the intro/preview which leaves them a few thousand left to actually develop the game.
They should definately lower the ps3's price tag though, even if its only by 50 or 80 dollars.
clownFart
Reaper wrote:
ruelle4143 wrote:

In fairness hardly anyone has played the ps3 so you can't really say 360's graphics look better. That would be like judging a game based on the intro of it, only to realize they used all the nice visual art/graphics in the very start so the rest of the game plays with horrible graphics with long loading times. it's sad but some companys spends millions on the intro/preview which leaves them a few thousand left to actually develop the game.
They should definately lower the ps3's price tag though, even if its only by 50 or 80 dollars.

well the guy you quoted is a n00b, so dont bother, but i was basing the graphics on the hardware, and what its capable of doing. and like i said before your not going to see a difference
txsky
Sony had to copy Nintendo's motion feature the Wii will still be the best system with the download features and Super Smash Bros Brawl
Zpanzer
txsky wrote:
Sony had to copy Nintendo's motion feature the Wii will still be the best system with the download features and Super Smash Bros Brawl

indeed, i cant wait to they release Wii, i cant wait to see how the motion in the controller works Smile
Cthulhuman
I can't wait until they let me reserve one
Priest83
I think itll be worth getting this for just FF13 and Resident Evil 5!
Just started playing FF12, the graphics are amazing, its funny how the games companies only start really getting the best potential out of the system as it comes to the end of its life, the PS2 is a work of art, easily the Playstation is the best name in the console world, and I'm gald they changed the design of the pad, much better than than babna thing! Dunno bout the motion sensors tho, I had a microsoft sidewinder Freestyle and it was ok, but was just a gimmick really, I hope they still let us use the analogue on racing games etc.
exarkun
But I keep hearing reviews that say that PS3 is a bit over-rated. Just hope that it will not disappoint us. Wink
Priest83
Play.com
Sony Playstation 3 PS3 Console
With 60GB HDD & 3 Games (Formula One 06/Warhawk/Singstar)

Breaking the half thousand barrier there, even with three games, thats too much. They shouldve left out some of the gimmicks in it. I know the cost of components has to be passed onto the consumer, but if they kept it simple, with a fast processor and graphics and decent pad, the games will sell the console just fine, and they should sell it without a hard drive so you can buy any one you want to to put in there. Even if sony missed out on being able to plug there own hard drives theyd still make up for it in a greater number of sales of the console.
just what i reckon anyway!
Phil.
Whong
Wii is an OK price! It is really innovative and has good graphics. It is in all ways very good!Very Happy

Buy Wii, save money!Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
F1tZ
To be honest the price point for all but the Wii is insane. I probly won't be buying any thing but the Wii becouse of this fact.
reddishblue
Well i dont think any kid can afford the PS3, better to get the other consols or wait till it becomes cheaper
fbcompany
The backwards compatability argument doesnt really carry much weight I dont think, especially when the previous gen console was immensely popular, like the PS2.

The way I see backwards compatability having value is at initial launch. It helps the purchase of expensive new hardware by giving it an instant library of comparatively cheaper games. But its only really relevant to new purchasers who didnt have the previous gen hardware.

Once the console ages it becomes less relevant. I know when I got a ps2 I thought it was neat that it could play PS1 games, but when I actually did I soon realised it was a bit of a waste of time because they were pretty crappy for the most part. Especially when you have far better PS2 games to play.

The amount of gamers who want backwards compat so they can get rid of their PS2's, I cant imagine being a very large portion of the population.

As for motion sense, judging from the guy playing warhawk, I dont think I'd miss that. It certainly seems tacked on.

The trouble with all this stuff is it is skirting the issue of what seems to make a console a success, and that is purely and simply fun games. It doesnt guarantee success but without that it seems a sure sign it wont.

I think the wii will succeed because they're targeting fun games, but If they focus on the controller too much to the point where the games arent fun, it will have a rough time.

I'm sounding like an apologist, ultimately I hope the PS3 is successful enough to drive competition to bring good games and cheap games. But I dont think in the early stages I will be buying into it.

I think what might doom PS3 is if they dont get the online component right. And I think microsoft might be onto a few things with their Xbox live even though I've never used it myself.
Kelcey
Whong wrote:
Wii is an OK price! It is really innovative and has good graphics. It is in all ways very good!Very Happy

Buy Wii, save money!Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

So if Microsoft dropped the core 360 to 250 dollars (which is a mere 50 dollar drop in america), would you say

"Buy 360, save money!" ? Razz
bluefossil
Honestly How many 360's did you see on sale on ebay that went for like 2 to 3 times the retail price? I love reading from all these people whining that the system is too expensive. It's going to Sell out. For every one Whining there is another that is waiting to scoop it up. and with the Shortage at launch it is destined to be picked up buy the masses to be sold again for christmas on Ebay at crazy mark ups.
My little brother already has the 360 and I have a friend getting the Wii. If I can I'm going to get the ps3 at launch, but It doesn't seem like I'll be able to get my hands on one. Only good thing is that My birthday is in March and I can use that as an excuse to buy myself a nice Big HD tv and the PS3 to go along with it.
shuoaini
In all honesty, I think that if you want to buy a ps3, just WAIT A FEW MONTHS so the price can settle down. Just like the xbox-360, the price was rediculous upon its release (i've seen it go nearly 1000$ during the holidays). Now, if you look at the price, its like 300$ to buy the Core Package. And the good thing is, the price will only go down. So I say, unless you have an extra couple hundred dollars to blow, just wait a little bit. Patience is virtue! Wink
Kelcey
shuoaini wrote:
In all honesty, I think that if you want to buy a ps3, just WAIT A FEW MONTHS so the price can settle down. Just like the xbox-360, the price was rediculous upon its release (i've seen it go nearly 1000$ during the holidays). Now, if you look at the price, its like 300$ to buy the Core Package. And the good thing is, the price will only go down. So I say, unless you have an extra couple hundred dollars to blow, just wait a little bit. Patience is virtue! Wink

The core package has always been 300... but you're right if you're talking about ebay/online bundles.
Ghost900
I am just starting to play Xbox games now.

I got Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and it cost $10 and it is the same game peaple payed $50 for 2 years ago so I will not be getting the P3 any time soon.

I would never buy any console for $600 because I can play 2 year old games now and play GRAW and other games when they are 2-3 years old and I will save alot of money. Very Happy
Ghengis
Do you guys think it's worth the time/effort to pick up a launch PS3 just to re-sell it on Ebay? I've seen preorders going for up to 2 grand... might be worth standing in line outside a Wal-mart or whatever...
Whong
The price tag is really awful! I mean that with that price you could get a good computer, but if the graphics are what you guys want well sure take it!

PS3 is expensive! Very Happy
KoHLive
rediculous...never would i pay that much for a system!!!!! NO WAY
Ghengis
Quote:
The price tag is really awful! I mean that with that price you could get a good computer, but if the graphics are what you guys want well sure take it!

PS3 is expensive!

You've got to remember that Sony is taking at least $400 of *loss* per system. You're getting a Blueray disc player for significantly less than market price for any other BD standalone unit; you're getting a processor that, while maybe not quite a "supercomputer" like Sony claims, is pretty feckin' badass; you're getting a high-end video card, a fair lot of memory, and a decent sized hard disk, plus a ~$30-40 controller and a bunch of assorted other goodies.

Now, none of the above means that you necessarily *want* all that stuff (I for one think BD has a non-trivial chance of being the next Betamax), but it's in there and somebody has to pay for it.
garionw
ruelle4143 wrote:

This has probably been said before on another page, but it all comes down to the tv in which you play it on. Now good getting a PS3 with HD when your using it on a 32cm CRT tv
Rebzie
the ps3 will be around the same price in japan as the xbox 360. Which really suprised me as normally playstation is most popular in japan. But microsoft is bring out alot of japanese games and really trying to target the japanese market and i think sony is worried about this.
Kelcey
Whong wrote:

PS3 is expensive! Very Happy

In fact, what I care about is Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Virtua Tennis 3, Final Fantasy XIII, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. If you care more about an innovative controller than anything else, then go ahead! Now this is where you reply with, "but mario, zelda, metroid, star fox." And to that, I ask you why you didn't say, "... but if the graphics and franchises that a lot of people love (still maybe not willing to pay 500 for) are what you guys want well sure take it!"

Just because the PS3 is a powerhouse doesn't mean the games are gonna suck. It has the same control scheme that your FAVORITE games have had. Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time... so don't try to twist the ps3 as just a "graphics machine," because you're basically saying Mario and Zelda couldn't have had great gameplay cause the PS3 controller had all the functionality that the Nintendo 64 controller had (minus rumble now).

If 500/600 is too much for you, I understand. But please don't act like the system is just gonna output pretty games and the gameplay is gonna suck.

Furthermore, what it sounds like to me is that you're saying IF the new smash bros isn't gonna use the motion sensing, then it's not even gonna look all that awesome and that tha gameplay will suck. Without the motion sensing, why would a Wii version be better than a PS3 or 360 version? Please don't act like a game can only be good now because of that freaking controller. Will it make games more fun? Probably. Does that mean other games are gonna suck? No.
Motoracer380
i dont care how good it is...nintendo wii is going to have games that never get old and take like a month to beat..at least on my busy schedule... the graphics arent a big deal with me...$600 vs. $200???...ill buy the wii...
Ghengis
Did I miss a memo? Several people are saying $200, when I think the mean $250. I don't mean to nitpick, but I keep having to make corrections in my head that no, I'm not going to spend 200 bucks, but rather 250 (Wii) + 50 (Zelda) = 300 bucks in one day. Which is still kind of a lot...