FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Studying abroad

freakinlame
Hey all, just want to ask for any experiences when you study abroad. I'm a Malaysian but I'll be studying in Ireland next year for medical degree. so it would be great for anyone to share their experience about staying far away from home. It doesn't have to be Ireland, can be anywhere in the world. Talk about your difficulties, your happy moments, your problems and jsut about anything..
ncordell
i studied in paris last semester. it was a great experience and i would definitely recommend it. it is important to make sure and not expect everything that you have at home. try everything. don't be surprised if every once in a while you just need to go to mcdonalds. make a list of the things that you want to do before you leave and make sure that you finish the list.
jennahenrywagner
I studied abroad in London a few semesters ago (I'm a recent grad). I had an absolutely amazing time, and the thing about London (which can be either considered good or bad) is that it's not that much of a cultural difference. I mean, there definitely are distinct differences, but for the most part the people are similar, the language is the same, and it's overall just very easy to live there. I actually traveled to Ireland while I was in London. I went to Dublin for St. Patrick's day (great time, you'll love the Temple Bar area). I also traveled more around Southern Ireland later in the semester (County Clare, Shannon, Killarney, etc.).

The number one recommendation that I have in studying abroad is to travel as much as possible. Go broke if you have to, but this is presumably one of the only times that you'll be so close to so many amazing places and sights. I visited Ireland (like I said before), Scotland, Paris, Prague, and Barcelona (all of which I highly recommend). Studying abroad is an amazing experience...take advantage of it!
freakinlame
How much does it costs to travle from Ireland to england? Cause I do have plans to travel as much as I can during my 5 years medical degree course there. how about travelling and keeping it under budget all the time? Any recommendation as in where I should be outting up and means of transportation that I should use?
jennahenrywagner
Travelling can be really cheap in Europe. From most countries you can get a Eurrail pass and travel around. Unfortunately, you can't travel to the UK on a railpass. There are alot of cheap options though.

For example, when I travelled to Dublin for St. Patrick's day I flew for 30BP, or about $60. Not bad, huh? Ryanair is typically the cheapest way to go, and you can book on www.ryanair.com. Just a few notes about this airline though: #1) They do not fly out of Heathrow, which is by far the easiest airport in London to get to. They fly out of either Stansted or Gatwick, both of which you can get to by bus for about 20BP roundtrip. National Express (www.nationalexpress.com) is one of the most popular bus companies that go to these airports, and you can catch one from the main station in Victoria, or from other stops throughout London city. It takes about an hour and a half to get to the other airports by bus, but depending on the time that you're going you should account for traffic, which can make your journey 2 hours or a little bit longer. So, when you add the cost of transportation to the airport into this it ends up being 50BP, or $100 roundtrip, which still isn't that bad. #2) Similar to the fact that Ryanair flies into smaller airports in London, in other major cities they also *sometimes* use the smaller airports. BE AWARE OF THIS! There is nothing worse than flying into a foreign country and being 3 hours outside of the city center, having no idea how to get there. Some of the time though, like in Dublin, they fly right into the central aiport, which is great. Just check it out before you go. #3) Not a big deal, but worth mentioning- Ryanair does not have assigned seats. You have a reserved place on the aircraft, but not a reserved seat, so if you want to sit with your friends or want a decent seat on the plane, not to mention if you want to avoid not getting on the plane if it's overbooked, get to the airport a little earlier and get on the boarding line earlier.

Easy Jet (www.easyjet.com) can also provide low fare options (not as cheap as RyanAir). I never flew Easy Jet, so I can't rate the airline at all, but I haven't heard any horror stories. They fly out of Gatwick, Stansted, and Luton, so there's still travel to the airport involved.

Finally, the last time I went to Ireland I flew via AerLingus, which does leave out of Heathrow, YAY! This is more of a regular airline than a low cost airline, like the other two, but can still provide really low cost flights. I just went online actually to confirm how cheap it can be, and the dates I chose might have just been lucky, but it looks like if you fly at the unpopular times (during the week, early morning or early evening) you can get flights for as low as 1BP. Then of course you have to add in all the extra fees and taxes, but it still comes out to about 40BP...good deal, especially since you're not spending the extra money getting to an outside airport.

It is worth it to mention that Heathrow is not free to go to, even if you have an Oyster card (the tube's travel card). If you have an Oyster card with Zone 1 & 2 allowances (the most typical choice), I think it's about 6BP extra to go out to Heathrow. Regardless, the trip is VERY easy, goes right into Heathrow, and usually take about 40 minutes.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post and I hope this helped you a bit! I'll be checking this thread, and will definitely reply if you have any other questions!
ahamed
Does anybody have the experience on Sweden ? I want to do my post-graduate study there, mostly due to free of cost. Now I need some information , specially the part-time job availability. I don't have enough money to support my-self without part-time job.
mstreet
Personally I am a wife of an international student at the moment from Canada studying in Bristol. He is having a wonderful time.
I also work at Bristol University with International Students and different exchange programs throughout the Engineering Department.
I feel that getting any type of experience especially Education abroad is great. You do have to adjust to the cultural differences but they should be respected.
Sweden's univerisities have a very good reputation. The only thing is that Stockholm is a very expensive place to live.
Once you are in the UK and Europe, travelling is cheap and easy especially with the low-cost airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet.
ahamed
mstreet wrote:
Sweden's univerisities have a very good reputation. The only thing is that Stockholm is a very expensive place to live.

In average how much is the cost per month for single ? Also how is the part-time job availability ?
freakinlame
Ok..i think i have to get there to be familiar with the names of airline and bus companies. It rather blurry for me as I am non there yet. But I wan to ask, what will happen if someone is lost in Europe particularly UK and Ireland? Is the there anyone or any channel to seek help from? i'm thinking of spending costs as well, such as shopping and clubbing. I will be going there under scholarship, which is actually very limited amount. So its cheap entertainment for me. What things are cheap yet enjoyable to do in UK and Ireland?
GProject
I spent a year studying in Vancouver, Canada which was a fantastic experience. I'd gladly go back anytime, but it might be a little while until I can (at least until I've finished my degree). The only advice I can give is to be open & prepared to take on all the things which will differ from where you live now. You're sure to learn a lot, I know I did. Good luck!
samur
I just started to studie abroad in Danmark, Herning. Now I have introduction course for students from abroad and for now I like it :]

I`m studying at Hibat (www.hibat.dk) on Interactive Media Development course.

For sure it`s much more intersting then staying at home :]
Maxgamer
Hey, I'm a Malaysian to.. If I'm fortunate enough, getting a placement and passing the pointer needed to fly, I want to go to U.K. But, I'm not sure which University to go. I would like to go to a countryside place, which is calm and peace. Not the city place. Hehe. Any recommendation? I'm really looking forward to go to U.K. Never been there at all. Oh ya, I'm going to be a medical student too. Whew.
theLOGANhole
Hi,

I'm from Montreal, Canada and I would really like to learn how to get a chance to study abroad. Any tips or suggestions on how to acquire studying abroad.
freakinlame
Hey Maxgamer, are you under a scholarship or something? I'm under JPA. What about you? If you can make it, I'd recommend you to apply for Cambridge. I wanted to apply for that but I'm bound for Ireland, which is not far from UK. When are you going to fly? I heard that Manchester University is also good. You should search for more information about the country of your choice. I don't pay much attention on UK because I'm going to Ireland Smile
GProject
theLOGANhole wrote:
Hi,

I'm from Montreal, Canada and I would really like to learn how to get a chance to study abroad. Any tips or suggestions on how to acquire studying abroad.

It's really about whether the institution/course you are on offers it as an option. Ask someone who runs the course whether there is a study abroad option available and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Rico
Yeah I wanted to study a broad, but she thought it was a bad idea.
freakinlame
Its not that difficult to acquire to study abroad. Perhaps you can try out at any education representatives from other countries in your country. Like my country, we have foreign universities sending their representatives and set up education fair to promote their learning institutions. Most people would go to countries like USA or UK to further their higher education or doctorate degree. YOu can also search online for universities' websites and application procedures.
megalania
freakinlame wrote:
Hey all, just want to ask for any experiences when you study abroad. I'm a Malaysian but I'll be studying in Ireland next year for medical degree. so it would be great for anyone to share their experience about staying far away from home. It doesn't have to be Ireland, can be anywhere in the world. Talk about your difficulties, your happy moments, your problems and jsut about anything..

I had a lot of friends who went abroad and many who are currently abroad. I don't know if it would be the same for you, but all my friends have said the Spanish/French/Italians are much nicer than americans and are much happier to give directions. They said it is really nice to have that sense of freedom from being abroad.
Kylie
I'm in my last year of high school at the moment but I do plan to study abroad after I graduate. I think first I will get a degree at Memorial University here in Newfoundland but after that I would really love to attend med school and become a toxicologist. Very Happy
freakinlame
Where is Newfoundland? It sounds familiar but I don't recall where it is. So you like to play with toxic? Is that what it's all about?
Kylie
freakinlame wrote:
Where is Newfoundland? It sounds familiar but I don't recall where it is. So you like to play with toxic? Is that what it's all about?

MUN is located in St. John's Newfoundland. I'm not really sure why I want to be a toxicologist, I guess I have always found toxins interesting.
Linda_B
Everything is quite relative in Sweden. Stockholm is expensive and other uni areas will be too, just not as bad. My sister paid around 360 dollars a month for a two room apartment in the centre of Stockholm, but that was with knowing her landlord who gave her a break even price. So that could have easily been twice the amount... It is very hard to find student accomodation, Swedens great achievment of this year was to bring the waiting list down from 5 years to 2 years. I'm still at the beginning of finding all this out since I'll be studying there soon hopefully, but it's definitely not the cheapest place in the world to study in you have to find your way around the system a little.
Keran
In my country the financiall situation was always tough and ofcourse it's getting tougher every day. So no wonder why everyone is leaving my country to work abroad, it's so much better out there ;p
I myself am planning to work wherever possible, i've been in Italy for some time having small jobs and in England helping in my family bussines. When i finish my education completely i'm planning to runaway somewhere and stay there ;>
walrus
Last year I studied abroad in Japan. It was a lot of fun, though I had some trouble adjusting to riding extremely crowded rush hour trains to school. I still really liked it though. Some of my other foreign classmates were really excited about being there and would go all out on partying and traveling. I was a little jealous of that sometimes, but I'm also glad that I didn't go completely broke.
freakinlame
So, is all that is needed to survive when one study abroad is to have sufficient amount of money? I mean to pay for the accomodation, transportation, entertainment. May I ask here where do youpeople think is the most expensive country to study in and where is the the best place to study in in terms of the education quality? I wonder what does a toxicologist do..seems interesting
upandup
If you go to Germany, I can give you some advice... lol
ahsanrao
ok ... i want to get info abt Germany. firsat of all want to know the good universities.. internationaly recognized....

i wana do Accounts/Finance ....

can u help?
engeland
For a student from the east, to study in the west, there is a culture shock. a rather big one. and considering you're malaysian, you need to take note of the weather.

your going for a med course? what uni?
marioflory
If money is the main criteria, you should ask at your university wheter they have some already established partnerships with other universities. That can mean that they have an agreement to exchange a specific number of students, and decrease or waive their tuition fees. I went to university in switzerland and my institution had an agreement with San Diego State University in the US. So I was a student in the US for one semester and I didn't have to pay the big tuition there... The tuition in Switzerland is 1/10 or less of the tuition in the US. I just paid the amount as if I'd stayed in back home.
Also this partnership agreement takes off a lot of the pain of going through the appication process for an US University. They just had the agreement to allow 3 students every semester from my institution. Which is absolutely awesome if you manage to be one out of these 3. (I was Smile )

So I can only encourage every one of you doing such a thing, or tell your student advisers to establish such a relation to any University you'd be interested in. But never imagine that it'll be like a travel agency where you can step in and take your ticket to go abroad. It is still a long long way and it takes a lot of effort and time.

But good luck!

Mario
freakinlame
Culture shock will probably be a problem but as long as you keep and open mind, I think you will be ablwe to survive no matter where you go. But if you are the type of person that is skeptical, then I'd suggest you stay in your own country, preferably your own home. Yups, money makes the world go round, right? I mean, for a student going abroad, not having sufficient money to spend is a horrible that can happen. Imagine this, your family is thousands of miles away from you and you don't have any relative in that foreign country you are studying. Therefore, it is very important for a student to manage his or her finances well. I'll be applying for the Irish Universities Consortium of Medical schools. Then, it depends on which of the four universities that they wanna place me.
engeland
freakinlame wrote:
I mean, for a student going abroad, not having sufficient money to spend is a horrible that can happen. Imagine this, your family is thousands of miles away from you and you don't have any relative in that foreign country you are studying.

that's a big issue. you wouldnt want to study abroad when all you've got is just enough to eat for the day. there are other stuff to consider too like transportation, toiletries and misc stationary expenses. in my case, i like to include my leisure expenses. i wouldnt go to some new place without enjoying a little Wink
androjuni
some people have no choice but to study abroad to become globaly competitive. for example, koreans - a lot of them go to the philippines to study english. the philippines has cheaper schools that teach quality education in english. filipinos on the other hand go to india to study I.T.

its realy based on need i think. where the best education on a certain field and where the "cheaply good" education is we go there to grow our intelectual prowess.
wingedhope
I wish i cuould have the opportunity to study abroad. But i also want to become a teacher and possibly teach english in another country. I think it would be a great way to gain new experiences and to travel while earning money. Studying abroad costs a lot sinc etheres generally higher international students costs
freakinlame
entertainment and leisure is of course a must when one goes abroad to study. You'll be missing a lot if you don't take the opportunity when studying abroad to travel around and visit places that your country most probably doesn't have. If you wanna study abroad, start saving and earning, one day you will be..or be extra smart so that you'll get a scholarship..Smile
rippercom
I haven't studied abroad but my brother will have to for school in about 2 years.
He has to study in an English speaking country for 3 weeks for school.
Too bad I don't have 2Sad
discountcontacts
ive been reading the above posts and one thing has caught my mind. Some people are saying "the place i travelled to is similar to my own culture" and "oh im a grad". Well if ur a grad, could you be kind ( and smart) enough to say what your native culture is or what nationality you are. Otherwise id have to assume you're American, because only Americans ever assume they're at the centre of the universe and everything on the internet revolves around them.
kannadi
I think studying in India is the best experience, People there are very friendly and will make you feel at home. You have a lot of entertainment options as well.
engeland
kannadi wrote:
I think studying in India is the best experience, People there are very friendly and will make you feel at home. You have a lot of entertainment options as well.

undoubtly india is the best in asia for medicine. No question as well about koreans going to the philippines for english. i have a few friends who did that.

it really depends which school suits your
- financial capabilities
- course of interest
engeland
kannadi wrote:

undoubtly india is the best in asia for medicine. No question as well about koreans going to the philippines for english. i have a few friends who did that.

it really depends which school suits your
- financial capabilities
- course of interest

and sometimes, the school you really want to get into is so good ... you have difficulty trying to get in.
either its too expensive, or they have such a small acceptance quota
curupira
It doesn't matter very much where you go, you'll sure have some kind of culture shock. It's part of life. Take marriage, for instance: the day you start to live with the person you love is different.

I experienced culture shock when i went to live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. And that was for secondary school only. Latter on, I moved to London, England. Even though I spoke english, the weather was tough to endure.

People look like they were pink coloured, for me they were.

Lots of things you take for granted are wrong. Kiss in the cheeks here in Brazil is pretty normal between man and woman who are just introduced to each other. Took me time to understand that.

The sign meaning good luck in Brazil is f__ you in Japan. A girlfriend of mine just did give it carved in wood to a japanese friend (who counted until 10 then asked what was that supposed to mean).

Not mention the language slips one is expected to make. In USA, a Brazilian girl almost got send back immediately when she forgot to use the proper english word for knife. The sentence was okay but in portuguese, the word sounds like F___ , so she thought she was asking for a knife but everybody else though she was asking for an intimate experience with the guy in the kitchen.

Anyway, go ahead, man. It's sure worth to go to study abroad.
freakinlame
The question is which place do u prefer to study in? Your own country or overseas? Any taker for this question? Smile
Coclus
I study in America right now and it is a great experience, one of the best things you can do in your life.
sbel
If you have the financial support, the tendency of going to a more developed country to study is high.
creezalird
Halo...I'm Malaysian and currently studying in Germany..taking electrical engineering...just got here about 7 month ago...
Everything seems just ok...for me..culture shock is not the most crucial thing here....the mentality of the german people and also the language really bothers me ....
Its not the mentality of the german people actually I think...maybe its the Malaysian that can't get along very well with the german people as the language barrier really discourage us to befriend with the locals...
I hope I can change a lots and be more open in sosial relationship
cvkien
well, i'm not study overseas but i have many friends that study overseas. i take psychology course, so they'll told me and i tend to be understand them. and what i see is different people with different personality. some of my friends had hard moment when they seperate from their family. and that will makes them cries, or even worse they'll stress and going to have inferiority and can't concentrate on their study and exam.

But for some of them, if they are more independent, they can adapt it easily. if you successfuly adapt it, then it will be really a good time, and a perfect way to make urself more independent and will gain experience on how to live without parents. for sure, you'll learn some sort of living skills.

Anyway, if you going some places, i think you must have friends or best friend that you can talk to. share you problem and happiness with them and u'll feel they are just like a family like u had it before.
freakinlame
I have a question to ask any of you, preferably those whoare related gegraphically. Which place is the best in the world to study medicine? Or which country is better than which, let's say between UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia? Smile
TurtleShell
I did study abroad for a semester about five years ago. I've been addicted to travel ever since, although I'll never get back that first experience. There were some people I met while traveling that never did get the hang of it--they missed home and their families, couldn't really get into being in the other culture, etc. It's so worth it, but it's true, you need to relax your ideas of what constitutes "normal", or you'll be miserable the entire time. It's about learning, and testing yourself.
budiman
It will change your life. You’ll come back a new person. Everyone in the study abroad field believed it could greatly impact a student’s life, but the exact long-term benefits were unknown—until now.

The first large-scale survey to explore the long-term impact of study abroad on a student’s personal, professional, and academic life shows that study abroad positively and unequivocally influences the career path, world-view, and self-confidence of students.

The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES), www.iesabroad.com, surveyed alumni from all IES study abroad programs from 1950 to 1999. Regardless of where students studied and for how long, the data from the more than 3,400 respondents (a 23 percent response rate) shows that studying abroad is usually a defining moment in a young person's life and continues to impact the participant’s life for years after the experience.
ganesh
I had the opportunity to study under different circumstances and be exposed to different cultures during different stages of my education.

My complete schooling was done in my hometown in South India and I stayed with my parents and it was a nice and sheltered experience.

For my undergraduate degree, I went to North India and there I had the chance to get exposed to many students from different states in India.. As Indian culture varies from state to state, it was indeed a learning experience for four years.

For my undergraduate internship, I proceeded to Germany for 6 months. That was my first trip abroad and I had to face quite a bit of culture shock. Things which I would have never seen in India were pretty common in Germany (as in, the way people behave with each other).

After my internship, I came over to the US to do my Masters. Fortunately, there were lots of Indian students in my university and I didn't feel out of place as I felt in Germany (where I had just 2 - 3 Indian friends during my entire stay)

The trick is to keep yourself occupied and don't let your mind wander and feel homesick. All the best for your academic career!
amicidellatigre
the best place where you can study is Itay. University is just a mess, but people is fantastic
dzign
I have studied for a couple of years in Australia (and I'm still here working Smile)

Studying aboard will always have advantages and distadvantages, happiness and sadness.

Talking about advantages, the most obvious one, we will be able to learn the language where the country we are studying at, and of course, learning and enjoying different culture as well. Knowing we culture and people will also open our mind wider toward differences. Another thing, in this recent year, globalisation is growing, so studying abroad will also prepare us to work around with differences as well

Disadvantages, probably being far away from home will make us feeling home sick, some times hard to adept to the new environment or even difficulty in communication, but as long as we can have some good friends, these dificulties will not become a very big burden

Probably, the suggestions I can give for studying abroad are :
1. Be Yourselves
2. Enjoy life
KellaDayne
i'm studying in Hamburg one semester now - am here for a exchange programme. in russia i studyed internationale economie and it's aspecially interesting for me now to study abroad.

it's a cool experience anyway. as for me, i'm not so keen of getting a special knowlege here, but more just to see the world and another culture. to communicate with ppl with a wholy different mentality... to see the structure of another country not from the point of view of just a tourist, but from the point of view of one, who lives there.

a friend of mine have studyed in England for 2 years in school and now moved to US to a University. she is not having just fun like i do, but she's getting her education there/ and she loves it so. firstly, it's just very different to russia. secondly. it gives much more opportunities in the world labor market afterwords...
mstreet
Well my husband studied and I worked in Bristol in the UK. It made sense for him to go and do his masters there. It was a bit of a culture shock but coming from Canada and being a British colony made it a bit easier. In fact i felt we were more "British" than the British. It was good I really encourage studying and getting out-of-your-country experience.
sopetite
one of the best choices would be the Philippines. Why? Because most Filipinos value education first and foremost. Schools in Manila are extremely old and have great reputation, due to the high expectations of the Filipinos. Another thing would be the fact that most companies from Europe and America outsource to this country. Why? because they get get cheap but high quality labor from the Filipinos. Can you imagine a MECHANICAL ENGINEER or a CHEMICAL ENGINEER working as a customer assistant? That's the PILIPINAS for you.
akshar
freakinlame i will suggest you to keep some things in your mind while migrating from one place to other.

1)Concentrate on your studies
2)Choose good friend circle
3)Adapting environment
4)Keeping your friend circle a bit distant from yourself
5)After reaching there keep contact numbers of important things with you
6)Properly distinguish between good and bad things.

These are some things that i not did when i went to remote place from my home.So you take care.
jamichelson
About cheap travelling. There are tons of advice on travel planet, trip adviser and so on. you can be sure that you will travelling cheap with famous companies e.g. ryanair, but there are many smaller companies offering really good deals. e.g. turkish airlines, or ukrainian airlines offer sometimes prices what almost equals nothing!
mshafiq
my experience was excellent studding in concordia university Canada was an excellent time,i will never forget.i will recommend strongly to other that if they got chance to study aboard do not loss this chance.
andro_king
Suggest me any best university in your place to do my MBA !
I am open to any part of the world, but quality of education matters !
So pls suggest only the best !