FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD Turion 64 vs Pentium M

DimaSafr
How does AMD Turion 64 compares to the Pentium M, do it's 64bit do anything? Or it is just a marketing skam?
modak
Depends on what you are doing. If you run Linux, or have Windows XP/Vista 64bit versions, Turion 64 is definitely good. However, if you have only standard Windows XP/Vista, Pentium M will probably give you better battery life.

By the way, there have been upgrades to both processor families, so I think you should do some more market research. The latest is dual-core Turion X2 and Core Duo Centrino

HTH
corey
I hope that this topic gets more answers because I've been looking into a new machine and I want to know the good points of either and all. I'm especially interested in Linux compatibility. Thank you, DimaSafr, for asking this question.
Xeniczone
I would go with the pentium M

not as powerful, but your still getting the 2mbs of cache Very Happy

and i would say you get a better battery.

A laptop is about portablity not a hard core power machine.
photon
yup, pentium M is a better choice. but the sad part is turion isnt that bad either. just that there havent been any major takers for it
TheGeek
Since im a 64bit guy and a 64bit linux guy at that, i would definatly recommend the Turion. It uses a similar method of conserving energy that is similar to the Pentium M series processor and since its an AMD processor it produces far less heat than a Pentium M. Now, I'm not sure about the new Conroe cores however, they're mobile processor line MAY run cooler and have better battery life, I'm simply basing my thoughts off of the Pentium Centrino M and the Turion64.
kiranaghor
I don't agree that AMD Turion produces less heat than Pentium M. My room partner got Acer Aspire 5002 and it really heats up. It has a fan that starts making noise and starts throwing out warm air. Also if u are not buying 64 bit os (Linux/XP/Vista) then better settle for Pentium M. Also even if u install 64 bit OS, so many application programs are not yet 64 bit so it becomes tedious to use 64 bit os.
psycosquirrel
@kiranaghor:
ALL laptops will blow out hot air, if they don't then the processor is probably running extremely hot and will cause components to die quickly.

All AMDs run cooler than Pentiums, even the mobile cores.

But like you said, 64 bit is overrated. I would not even bother with 64 bit unless you really need it.