FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is there something called musical cognition?

studsstudio
does musical experience enhance your life in other fields as well? i mean: does it train you for everyday life and enhances for instance (second) language aquisition for (young) people?

i am curious what you think of this.
studsstudio
yes, i think it does. howard gardner distinguishes it as musical cognition. music scientists are very fond of this view.
HDirtwater
First off, I can't believe you answered your own post. That is major league spamming and will get you banned and certainly will not get you a hosting account.

Second, on the subject at hand, there is a field of medicine called music therapy which uses music to help in rehab and also in mentally and physically challenged people. If it is a recognized field of medicine, I would think the answer is yes.
studsstudio
HDirtwater wrote:
First off, I can't believe you answered your own post. That is major league spamming and will get you banned and certainly will not get you a hosting account.

Second, on the subject at hand, there is a field of medicine called music therapy which uses music to help in rehab and also in mentally and physically challenged people. If it is a recognized field of medicine, I would think the answer is yes.

well, then i'm glad you don't moderate these forums. i only just found out that i am able to change my posts/ ad things etc. of course i do apologize.

anyway: music therapy exists because music stimulates the functioning of the human being. but is it also an argument for the statement that there should exist something called 'musical cognition'? we can change because of musical influences, but isn't that so with all that we experience? then you can call any manor of experiencing a seperate cognition.

I'm mainly interested in if one learns easier in certain areas (such as language aquisition) because of musical experience.