FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

External Hardrive

jarred89
Hello,
I have brought an external hardrive but I would like to install programs on it so when i go to a friends house and use there computer i can connect the hardrive to there computer and use the program is this possible and how do i do it?
anthonygerbils
It wont be possible for many in fact nearly all programs as when they are installed they put important registory files on to your main hard drive and therefore you need to be using the external hard drive as your main and then when you bring it to a friends house you will need to make it as primary drive in his pc for the programs to work.
But im sure there is a way (a hard way) to do so and i wish u gud luck in finding it as i would also like to do this but so far the programs never work.
Bikerman
jarred89 wrote:
Hello,
I have brought an external hardrive but I would like to install programs on it so when i go to a friends house and use there computer i can connect the hardrive to there computer and use the program is this possible and how do i do it?

The previous poster is quite right in what he says.
One possibility you can consider is what I do for my emergency recovery disk.
Partition the disk with a 20 or 40 Meg partition and then whatever is left in another partition. Install a vanilla copy of windows on the 20-40M partition and then install whatever software on the remaining partition. You can now plug the drive into the machine and set it as the boot device and it will boot as a self contained system.

Chris.
hellrahul
Sometimes Its illegal to use one software by more than one person/computer if you don't have a licence of multiuser.

Again as anthonygerbils said it will not be possible (for most of the programs). But still there are some programs like winrar, and also NFS2SE (its an old game) which can be run directly.

Also You can play some tweaks like .
You Use software ( like regmon etc) which keep track of change in registry when you install a software. So you can apply these settings directly to another computer. (at your own risk)

Many companies don't want their software to be used freely by any person. (If its a paid software).

See there are many settings which a good software alter at the time of installation and the person which uses his mind and tweak the system to find the weak points of a software is called a Hacker. Cool
dan751
I have plenty of software installed on my pendrive, I use that software on many different computers which I've not actually installed the software. I've never had a problem with it as of yet. I can't imagine why you would have problems. A program like Adobe Photoshop CS2, for example, you may have a problem there, because of licenses. Any software that requires a license, you probably will have problems with. But, none of the software I use requires a license, so I've never had problems. SmileCool
Bikerman
hellrahul wrote:
Sometimes Its illegal to use one software by more than one person/computer if you don't have a licence of multiuser.

As far as I am concerned that is not proven beyond doubt. I am not aware of any legal precendent in this area. Software lawyers TELL YOU that is the case but we have common law precedent in the UK and I doubt that a conviction could be sought if 1 person was using 1 product that they had legally bought.....I keep waiting for a test case but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. To that end I have no worries about using any of my software on any damn machine I like - I use 1 copy at 1 time, of course, but I'll be damned if lawyers are going to tell me on which machine and which time.

Chris
bigdbag
Can't help you out with the problem, but I was wondering about some of these flash drives. I recently saw in a circuit city ad describing some 1 gb flash drive that you can run programs off of. Does anyone know if you could use this technology for this hard drive problem?

edit:
Ah, I found what it's called
http://www.u3.com/
I don't have the time at the moment to read into the details, but I was wondering if you can use U3 on hard drives, which could help out this person.
internetjobs
i think you are using SCSI HDD, if you have SCSI hdd you must install driver...

or other ordinary hdd you dont need to install drivers...

i think your problem may by the partitions.. if you using later NTFS 5 partitions the system will not take if it have 98 or NT

safe is format using FAT of FAT32
tamilchild
You can format and reinstall the OS with recent update Laughing