FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Auto installer for DA





Blaster
I found a program for directadmin that is just like fantastico. http://www.hostbiztools.com/Details.aspx?id=308&cat=16 is the site. For a lifetime licences it is 300 bucks. I think that bondings should get this. With a lot of people wanting to go to cpanel i think that people would like this. I tried it on another account and it works great. If you want to look at an example bondigns i can show you my account which has it. It does work really good and i know i would like it and a lot of others would too.
Scorpio
I am not sure if Bondings would install this or buy this for that matter..

But the other important installer for DA is Installatron
Bondings
I won't install an auto installer, even if it would be free.
Scorpio
Bondings wrote:
I won't install an auto installer, even if it would be free.


Is there a particular reason for that?

Load on servers? or is it People unnecessarily installing stuff and forgetting to uninstall?

Not that I need an auto installer.
alkady
@ Scorpio

The most common reason is many newbies would think they need everything. (Thats how I was when I was a newbie to the web hosting thing) years ago.

...Perhaps Bondings would prefer we suffer by installing everything ourselves manually.

On my server, I have the Installtron and boy can I proudly say that the thing installs everything on its own. But its a bit confusing the first time, I screwed my first use of the Installtron.

...Too bad not everyone appreciates the Installtron on my Team.
Bondings
You have no idea how many problems there are with those installers.

First of all they take a lot of cpu-usage while installing some software, which is most of the time never used for a website anyway.

Then of course, they aren't removed which means more disk usage, both on the server, backups, ...

While generating a backup, all those tiny files are again generating a lot of cpu-usage. And then people complain about the server being slow/crashing because someone is taking 2-3 backups at the same time of all their installed software which they never used.

And a lot of other issues like not updated software being hacked or something in the installer being broken/not working causing me to get several support tickets because of it ...
Blaster
oh i get it. well i just thought i would say something. Anyhow you explained enough bondings. Thanks for that Very Happy
Scorpio
Bondings wrote:
You have no idea how many problems there are with those installers.

First of all they take a lot of cpu-usage while installing some software, which is most of the time never used for a website anyway.

Then of course, they aren't removed which means more disk usage, both on the server, backups, ...

While generating a backup, all those tiny files are again generating a lot of cpu-usage. And then people complain about the server being slow/crashing because someone is taking 2-3 backups at the same time of all their installed software which they never used.

And a lot of other issues like not updated software being hacked or something in the installer being broken/not working causing me to get several support tickets because of it ...


Just as I suspected...

But what you say is right

With server 2 coming under a lot of fire for its regular "break downs", I dont think we need another piece of software to completely bury the server.

@Alkady:

I have absolutely no problems installing scripts or software myself..
and of course it is difficult for n0obies..
But it is always better to learn stuff instead of simply use automated stuff.

So, how much did you end up paying for the Installatron?
Diebels
scorpio wrote:


I have absolutely no problems installing scripts or software myself..
and of course it is difficult for n0obies..
But it is always better to learn stuff instead of simply use automated stuff.



And if someone can´t install their things there are always people in the Forum to help... Wink
alkady
scorpio wrote:



So, how much did you end up paying for the Installatron?



Nothing, Zilch, Nada.

The Shared Server I'm on actually pays for it. But it's worth around 15-100 Dollars.

But your right about the not needing to automate things, If ever my business expands and needs it's own dedicated servers, I don't even plan to get the installtron because there is only 2 Programs out of 50 that I actually need.
garionw
Is there any way you could pick the "common" of these porgrams and just have them on the server somewhere, to save people downloading and uploading it?

They would still have to setup the files themself, but could make it a lot easier to install.

You could have these programs:
-phpBB
-Wordpress
- Tiki Wiki

and maybe some others
alkady
garionw wrote:
Is there any way you could pick the "common" of these porgrams and just have them on the server somewhere, to save people downloading and uploading it?

They would still have to setup the files themself, but could make it a lot easier to install.

You could have these programs:
-phpBB
-Wordpress
- Tiki Wiki

and maybe some others


You just have to download it from their site and just save it on your PC. It's no different from uploading it on the Frihost Server, You still would have to download it.
garionw
alkady wrote:
garionw wrote:
Is there any way you could pick the "common" of these porgrams and just have them on the server somewhere, to save people downloading and uploading it?

They would still have to setup the files themself, but could make it a lot easier to install.

You could have these programs:
-phpBB
-Wordpress
- Tiki Wiki

and maybe some others


You just have to download it from their site and just save it on your PC. It's no different from uploading it on the Frihost Server, You still would have to download it.


No what I mean is, its there maybe gzipped on the frihost server and when someone wants it on their site they can just copy it from the server to their site rather than having to download, upload every time an update comes out.

You could have a "shared" file similar to "public_html" in read only mode so you can quickly copy it accross
kerouac
But then who would be responsible for making sure it was the latest version with security patches etc?

I'll give a good example. SMF is currently at 1.1 RC3, it's more or less stable but still not gold release yet. The version that Fantastico installs is version 1.0.7 so you are already one patch out to 1.0.8

A lot of mods are being rewritten for RC3, some of which won't work on 1.0.8 and in addition if you do manually upgrade, Fantastico doesn't understand this and will advise that you have a lower version to patch than your already have, and if you are tired and not thinking too smart you install 1.0.8 over 1.1 RC3 and have to reinstall the whole board from scratch.

Nope, it's better to source the install direct from the manufacturers site.

Just my opinion of course.
mathiaus
Thought this was closed Think
-close-
Related topics
Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING!
Must cpanel be 2082? I can't connect
Which Platform is better?SMF or PHPBB2
Now how to make this work???
Free Forums?
question about install PHPBB
Asking
Auto-cura da SIDA - opiniões
Fantastico - What is it?
TeenZine (wants)
Question
Server 3 Hizmetinizde
Suggestion to Add Auto Installer In Direct Admin
DirectAdmin = Installaron??
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.