FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question About Microphone / Sound Card

ddukki
I just bought a new Sound Blaster LIVE! 24-bit Sound Card and expected it to work better than my old Aureal 8820. While the output is fantastic and sounds amazingly clear, I cannot record anything. I have a small Audio Buddy PreAmp/Direct Box hooked up to the line-in jack of the Sound Card on my AMD Motherboard (PCI) and use a Shure SM57 Microphone. Is there a compatibility problem with any of these, or is there a setting I need to change on my computer?
Darius
Check all the audio settings in "Control Panel". Check sound tab. In my case, computer automaticly muted microphone. Sometime line-in is set too low. There shouldn't be any compability problems, settings are probably the cause.
ddukki
I've already checked and rechecked the volume settings. It's set on the highest volume setting for the line-in Device because that's the only jack-in plug there is on the card. I checked the Shure website and they said that the Signal strength of the microphone was too low (around -56 dbV) for the sound card (around 10 mV).

The thing is that it used to work on my Aureal Sound Card before I had to reboot my computer. After the reboot, the Microphone no longer worked on the same sound card, so I bought this new one hoping it would work. But it doesn't.
psycosquirrel
Creative Live series sucks, they are a downgrade from my onboard sound Sad

You could always run 2 sound cards and use one as an input card...
Bernak
psycosquirrel wrote:
Creative Live series sucks...

I don't think they suck, but I agree that they aren't for every user.
The Live series aren't close to a pro audiocard.
They lack of good inputs and outputs, and the list continues...

But for a beginner or for a gamer, I think they are nice Smile
ddukki
So is there anyway that I can fix the microphone issue? With either cards?