FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Religion makes people go crazy

Do you agree?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Litle bit, but theres more to it
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

drawzon
Religion makes people go crazy..
Think about all wars because of conflicts between two religions.
What du you think?
Vrythramax
I don't believe it is as much "Religion" that drives people crazy, as the indoctrination process. Much the same things could be said for people who are highly trained in a specific field, or even long-time (or in some cases short-term) military service. Also it has much to do (as with the military service), the choice of religious sect you choose to join and follow.

I honestly don't believe "Religion" causes madness of any kind, that is up to people to do.
the_mariska
I don't really think so. It's not the religion that makes people go mad, it's their way of understanding it. Look at a few examples:

* the philosophical theories of Plato were the ground for the Aristotheles, and later the whole Christian philosophy, but the German Nazis have also based on Plato.
* the ideas of French Revolution are the base of every democratic system, but the same ideas were the cause of thousands of murders during revolution times.
* in the name of love, people could jealously forbid their spouse to go out of home and meet anyone, but there are some that can die for their loved ones.
* In the name of freedom, some people feel free to offend the others' feelings [like with the caricature cartoons of Muhammed], while there are some that could resistlessly suffer in the same name [like Ghandi of Martin Luther King].

And finally..:
* There are some people that hate the others beacuse of their religion beliefs, there are some who lead wars or terroristic actions in the name of God, but there's also the other side - people like Mother Therese, who dedicated her whole life to help the poor, or a Polish priest Rev. Max Kolbe, who decided to die instead of another person in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

It all depends on what is on your mind. Ahh, I almost forgot. One more thing. If a person interprets such big ideas in such a horrible way, it does not mean that this person is 'worse'. It's like people menthally ill, they're not worse just because they're ill.
irsmart
Religion is to be come happy
Che
You need to structure your questions in a better format to get the answer you're looking for. The word religion gives too much to think about. Perhaps you're referring to a behavioral pattern within a religion, or the way that people go about seeking God. The same with the word crazy.
Cordially
Soulfire
It's not necessarily the religion that makes people crazy. This is like saying it is Islam that makes people terrorists. I think that the crazy people only use religion as a banner in a vain and false attempt to justify their actions.
crimson_aria
It's not the religion. It's the people and how they view it.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Some people have one view of a religion and then they tell other that they must look at it in the same way. They uses the religion as some kind of tool to make peoples do what they think is right.

So... the religion causes some people to go crazy but if it was no religion they would certainly find something else.
swapnalokam
guyz.. i like to think it in an opposite way.. relegion is what makes peace in this world.. otherwise it is the purpose of relegion.. why do you think we just didn't had 2 relegion.. then the whole wolrd belongs in either one or another.. and if there is a fight between two everybody will die.. the more relegion there is.. the more we divide among ourselves.. the more weaker we are.. and if you are weaker I can assure you that you will not get into a fight.. fight happens when you have more power and you wish to use it to overthrow some others... but since we got a hell lot of relegions we are divided among ourselves in a 1000 ways atleast.. well atleast this is my idea about relegions.. what do you guys think...
Vrythramax
I don't believe (Correct me if I am wrong please) that any religion started with militancy in mind and to use violence as a means towards thier ends. I think over the centuries people and events have decided to take another view of religion...one that may (or may not) afford them the rights they believe they are owed, and they use God as a ralling point as God has many more followers and most of them are in one place, at least once a week....a House of worship. It is much easier to reach the masses if the masses are already in one place and you don't have to convince them to come over your place to hash things out. Lat I knew, God rarely makes housecalls.

I reiterate my earlier stance....I don't believe religion, in and of itself, drives people crazy....I that is strictly mans doing.
swapnalokam
hi vyrthramax.. As you said no relegion have started with a militant mind.. but I can tell you that.. if a group of people started out with militant intend for peace and later it became a relegion.. what do you say about it.. by militant intend I do not mean terrorism.. but you know.. just to fight for what they belive in.. ok let me come to my point.. no offend to sikh people.. but that is how sikhism came up.. it evolved from hinduism.. I belive it was the period muslims taking over indian territories.. and there is this group of people who swear "not to cut their hair or shave their face until all muslims are out of india" and they fought to protect their land.. later they got teachers, traditions.. over years.. and now they are identified as a minor relegion from India. Correct me If Iam wrong too.. but as you said.. no relegion is started with a militant intend.. and if they say so.. then it is not a relegion.
haak_heu
drawzon wrote:
Religion makes people go crazy..
Think about all wars because of conflicts between two religions.
What du you think?

it is not religion that make man mad it is people who want all people to acct on same religion , it is all about people not saying in religion
Vrythramax
swapnalokam wrote:
hi vyrthramax.. As you said no relegion have started with a militant mind.. but I can tell you that.. if a group of people started out with militant intend for peace and later it became a relegion.. what do you say about it.. by militant intend I do not mean terrorism.. but you know.. just to fight for what they belive in.. ok let me come to my point.. no offend to sikh people.. but that is how sikhism came up.. it evolved from hinduism.. I belive it was the period muslims taking over indian territories.. and there is this group of people who swear "not to cut their hair or shave their face until all muslims are out of india" and they fought to protect their land.. later they got teachers, traditions.. over years.. and now they are identified as a minor relegion from India. Correct me If Iam wrong too.. but as you said.. no relegion is started with a militant intend.. and if they say so.. then it is not a relegion.

Whoa...hold on there, that is not what I said. I said that I didn't believe that any religion started out towards militancy...I never said that none did not become a religion, nor is not a respectable religion even given it's childhood. Only that thier goals at the onset may not be the goals they [seem] to chasing now. We all love God....in differant ways.

Just for the record, my definition of militant, or militancy, is a person or person who are gearded towards military (read violence) action. Therefore you statement of a group that has "militant for peace" , by my thiking, is willing to maqke violence for peace. Kinda self-defeating there don't you think?
the_mariska
Vrythramax wrote:
Just for the record, my definition of militant, or militancy, is a person or person who are gearded towards military (read violence) action. Therefore you statement of a group that has "militant for peace" , by my thiking, is willing to maqke violence for peace. Kinda self-defeating there don't you think?

I know some anarchist dudes, who think exactly as you wrote. They want to fight with all the present governments [if necessary, even with terrorist acts] to make a revolution and liquidate all the states, what, in their opinion, would bring peace to the world. Yeah, believe me, there are people crazy enough. I can see that Einstein was right when he said that the Universe and human stupidity are infinite... Wink

Quote:
I think over the centuries people and events have decided to take another view of religion...one that may (or may not) afford them the rights they believe they are owed, and they use God as a ralling point as God has many more followers and most of them are in one place, at least once a week....a House of worship. It is much easier to reach the masses if the masses are already in one place and you don't have to convince them to come over your place to hash things out.

Hmmm.. maybe at the beginning they didn't intend to brainwash the masses, I guess the early crusaders, jihaders and inquisitors truly believed that they would praise God with fighting and killing. They must have believed that burning a witch or forcing pagan tribes to baptise was the only way to make them reach heaven. I know that there were some bishops that manipulated the masses using their religious power [one of the worst mistake of the Church was 'forgiving' the sins for paying a tax to the pope], I know there were popes who competed against kings or led religious wars, but I think they simply believed that what they do is right.
[This is not to justify their mistakes, rather to try guessing their intentions.]
Vrythramax
the_mariska wrote:
Hmmm.. maybe at the beginning they didn't intend to brainwash the masses, I guess the early crusaders, jihaders and inquisitors truly believed that they would praise God with fighting and killing. They must have believed that burning a witch or forcing pagan tribes to baptise was the only way to make them reach heaven. I know that there were some bishops that manipulated the masses using their religious power [one of the worst mistake of the Church was 'forgiving' the sins for paying a tax to the pope], I know there were popes who competed against kings or led religious wars, but I think they simply believed that what they do is right.
[This is not to justify their mistakes, rather to try guessing their intentions.]

I am not debating the rights nor wrongs of early christianty, some bishop's stance (who is long dead and forgotten), not the inquisistion (sp/) as a whole, my point was simply, if you start out with a "militant" stance (please look it up), you have committed yourself to a course of militancy. I will not debate the right or wrong of that particular action, I leave that up to history.
AG007
I say yes.

Why? Think about it...
yes... Satan's tool of destruction!
he has created many other religions to conflict with each other. Making a hard time to humans to find the truth.

There is only one way! And is not a Religion, but a Relationship!
LeviticusMky
Religion is an outdated form of indoctrination that flies in the face of all rational thought.

People will say that it teaches morals, but it does nothing more than people would do by themselves. People with morals do not need a vengeful god watching over them in order to compell them into doing what is "right"

I think that the idea that religion makes people crazy is exactly right, since belief is the process by which a person actively shuns rational and logical thought in favor of believing a very unlikely scenario about a myriad of gods and rules.

The fact that people are willing to die on faith is a pathetic testament to the evil nature of religious belief. Yes, it makes people crazy, from evangelical christians to fundamentalist muslims. It is all the same mental disease.
Vrythramax
LeviticusMky wrote:
Religion is an outdated form of indoctrination that flies in the face of all rational thought.

People will say that it teaches morals, but it does nothing more than people would do by themselves. People with morals do not need a vengeful god watching over them in order to compell them into doing what is "right"

I think that the idea that religion makes people crazy is exactly right, since belief is the process by which a person actively shuns rational and logical thought in favor of believing a very unlikely scenario about a myriad of gods and rules.

The fact that people are willing to die on faith is a pathetic testament to the evil nature of religious belief. Yes, it makes people crazy, from evangelical christians to fundamentalist muslims. It is all the same mental disease.

Nice post, certainly gained you a few pionts, but it is, no matter irrational you want to call it, it's a way of life for many in this world. You don't have to agree with it.
Aiz
Well, religion doesn't cause people to become crazy. The insane obsession with religions and other things (games, people, a fetish, and whatnot) is more so the effect of insanity than the cause, more like an outlet. And while I agree most of the religions didn't start out with violent intents, they usually become latent with thirst for power during the expansion of their influences. And struggle for power leads to violence in most cases @_@ So religions, as one of my English professor said, are just another type of cult that is in one way or another used by someone or some group to advance their own agenda, although the core religion itself is really not to blame. People are the crazy ones, not concepts.
ainieas
Religion doesn't itself make people crazy but its the people's interpretations of religion that does the trick. They see what they want to see and act likewise. Still I believe the world would be a better place without religion.
Soulfire
Religion has nothing to do with it - Religion is peaceful. The people who follow religion aren't peaceful. The "crazy" people that are following these religions are only using religion in an attempt to justify their injust actions.
dd202
religion is always peaceful. It is how we interpret religion that matters. Extremists twist the code of religion to their own benefits. I am an antagonist, when i look at the current state of our world it seems that the number of extremists are rising alarmingly. What do they actually want? If someone promotes the use of force/violence to terrorise people he can't call himself religious. They are criminals.
doomz
the meaning of 'peace' which stated in religion is between the same follower.

when you are different: they will try to convert you by proving his religion is the true one and yours is fake GOD. when you still refuse, some crazy guy between them will threathening you or by force
(if they're strong or majority).

when you accept you will have 'PEACE!' they have stated with the same follower of the religion, some of his follower go in-depth with them to reach 'crazy' stage to continue the crazy. while most of them still at normal stage (still innocent one).

the conflict/war is the cause by this (some) 'crazy' one.
the problem is they think they're the 'peacemaker' of his God.
c'tair
Yeah, IMHO, all the religious conflicts are caused by the most fanaticle people which are crazy, because a normal person should understand that people have free will and open minds so its not ok to use force toconvert people to some religion. Thing is to have and open mind, to see that "hell, i may not be right, but the muslims might be", to be able to "absord" life the way it comes, the people with it, not change them with force. Its against "good" to enslave other people, other beings into something they refuse.
So yeah, there will always be "the crazy" individual who causes many problems, but it should go away with time, just look at the lessening of power of Church in the last centuries/decades. Now we dont see that many "heretic-burners" as a 100 or 200 years ago, and IMHO, the same will happend with other religions.
palavra
[quote="the_mariska
I guess the early crusaders, jihaders and inquisitors truly believed that they would praise God with fighting and killing. They must have believed that burning a witch or forcing pagan tribes to baptise was the only way to make them reach heaven. I know that there were some bishops that manipulated the masses using their religious power [one of the worst mistake of the Church was 'forgiving' the sins for paying a tax to the pope], I know there were popes who competed against kings or led religious wars, but I think they simply believed that what they do is right.
[This is not to justify their mistakes, rather to try guessing their intentions.][/quote]

in that times , dialogue was difficult due to lack of travelling and telephone and TV
but in this telecomminication age , i hope something will change

http://www.interfaithathens.org/

people started to understand each other

you know