FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Canada outlaws "Free Speach"





S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Canadian Professor Fined for Stating Opposition to Homosexuality

By Jim Brown
July 26, 2006

(AgapePress) - A Canadian professor has been fined two weeks pay by a Nova Scotia university for telling a student that homosexuality is an unnatural lifestyle. But despite the disciplinary measures imposed against the educator, he says he refuses to succumb to the administration's "intimidation."

Cape Breton University (CBU) fined veteran history professor David Mullan $2,100 in response to two human rights complaints filed by a homosexual student who coordinates the campus' Sexual Diversity Office. The student took umbrage at two letters the professor had written to his former Anglican bishop two years ago.


Speak your mind, get in trouble. WTH?? Doesn't Canada have much of the same law as the US when it comes to Free Speach??
Vrythramax
he was fined for calling it "unnatural"? Now there is a bit of a turn around, usually people are being bashed for saying it's ok, not the other way around.

I also thought the laws about Freedom of Speach were very similar between the 2 countries.
horseatingweeds
LOL

So Vrythramax, I take it that you either have not gone to college yet, never did or did a long long time ago.

No, supporting homosexuality it totally in. Hell, I would even say encouraged at university. Damn hippies!

It is quire that a university would oppress a historian on his opinion of homosexuality. I am a novice historian and have come to the same conclusion, this is for another topic though.
Vrythramax
horseatingweeds wrote:
LOL

So Vrythramax, I take it that you either have not gone to college yet, never did or did a long long time ago.

No, supporting homosexuality it totally in. Hell, I would even say encouraged at university. Damn hippies!

It is quire that a university would oppress a historian on his opinion of homosexuality. I am a novice historian and have come to the same conclusion, this is for another topic though.


Actually I am still attending part-time towards my Doctorate, but I will admit for the cost of a post-grad degree at MIT I don't pay very much attention to the "school politics", so I guess I am just a bit out of touch Confused
joshumu
That cut a paste story was pretty lacking. Depending on the actual situation when I would completely agree or disagree with the fine. And it depends on how the school defines discrimination. I could see similar concern if the teacher said Christianity was unnatural.
Tiger
Stories like this simply confirm that the entire world has gone mad and that people have way too much free time on their hands.

It's truly pathetic that the professor could be fined for making such comments. He is entitled to his opinion and he entitled to state his opinion to the student concerned.

The implication here is that if a gay person made a comment that heterosexuals were small-minded bigots, he could then be fined. Where does it end?

Let's not overlook the fact that the professor is scientifically and medically correct. I have yet to me a gay couple that can reproduce offspring naturally. How many pregnant men have you met? Even if scientists manipulate things to the point were a man can give birth, it would still be "unnatural" in the sense that nature couldn't do it without the scientists help.

If we can't all get along with each other and allow each other to live in peace, then society is doomed. If I can't say "blondes are dumb" in public for example, where are we headed?
HoboPelican
Tiger wrote:
....
Let's not overlook the fact that the professor is scientifically and medically correct. I have yet to me a gay couple that can reproduce offspring naturally. How many pregnant men have you met? Even if scientists manipulate things to the point were a man can give birth, it would still be "unnatural" in the sense that nature couldn't do it without the scientists help.


There is a whole thread on whether it's naturalor not. You should check it out to learn a bit about what others think about the "natural" debate. Being able to procreate might just be a narrow view of what natural. means. Link here

Quote:
If we can't all get along with each other and allow each other to live in peace, then society is doomed. If I can't say "blondes are dumb" in public for example, where are we headed?


I think some people might think calling a group of people "dumb" is not really trying to get along with each other. Wink


BTW - Sendkeys...A Professor getting fined hardly implies that Canada is outlawing free speech. Very Happy Overstating the case a bit, aren't we?
Soulfire
A few of my friends and me got in trouble for wearing Straight Pride shirts to school on a gay protest day. They (gays and their supporters) were running around the school with rainbows everywhere and "Gay Pride" T-shirts and whatnot.

They didn't get in trouble for being proud of their homosexuality. We got in trouble for being proud of our heterosexuality.

I have no personal beef with any homosexual - hate the sin, not the sinner. And although it was not 100% necessary of me to wear said "Straight Pride" shirt to school, I am proud of it - just as a gay can be proud of themselves.

*Sighs*

Now, to make this post not spam, here is my opinion:

Don't you think that anyone could agree homosexuality is unnatural? I mean, it's not in natures way - because the natural way is a man and a woman. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad, but unnatural - yes.
HoboPelican
Soulfire wrote:

Don't you think that anyone could agree homosexuality is unnatural? I mean, it's not in natures way - because the natural way is a man and a woman. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad, but unnatural - yes.


It is not agreed at all and it is quite well discussed here. The topic here is free speech in Canada.

If this is going fall into a discussion of it being natural, we can move it to the other thread right away.
corey
The article (at least what was pasted) states that he was fined by the college, not the government. Lets put this in perspective: UCB used to be called University College of Cape Breton. They changed their name to attract more students, since it looked a bit backward. Its also a very small school, that has only recently tried shedding its strong Catholic reputation, also to attract students. Their enrollment currently runs at about 3500 students. Without more students, they won't get as big a grant from the government as they'd like. So, this action by the administration may be harsher than some people like, but it is not the actions of the other 27 million Canadians.

Its events like this that show you have to use the right words to get your point across, or somebody won't understand your meaning.
mstreet
This must have offended a lot of people for this to happen in Canada. They are more laxed in their laws of freedom of speech and opinion than in the US
HoboPelican
mstreet wrote:
This must have offended a lot of people for this to happen in Canada. They are more laxed in their laws of freedom of speech and opinion than in the US

I'm not sure how true that is...I would think they are very similar. But the point to remember is that....

It wasn't the Government, it was a small college that assessed the fine.


SK just exaggerated the issue .
corey
BTW, this school is probably the biggest thing for miles around, since Cape Breton is sparsely populated. This is a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. I bet that the college even has a terms of employment that he stepped on.
smalls
I agree with HoboPelican on this one. It was the university, not the government that determined that this was a punishable offense. This incident has nothing to do with free speech.
That said....My personal opinion is that the university made a mistake....only because the statements were apparently not made directly to students, and not as part of the professor's job. The statements were made in two letters the professor wrote to his bishop. Unless the professor somehow intentionally made the letters available to his students, I think the university made a mistake. But, like I said, it's still not a freedom of speech issue, since it was the university, not the government, which levied the punishment.
Terrasis-Cian
I think it is so unfair on anybody who must abide by that silly rule. I mean come on- A person has the right to his/her opinion and thats that. Just because so corporate coward is afraid of what people might say it shouldn't mean that they can just silence a person. That is wrong!
smalls
Terrasis-Cian wrote:
Just because so corporate coward is afraid of what people might say it shouldn't mean that they can just silence a person. That is wrong!

Terrasis-Cian, you're missing the point. You're right, they can't just silence someone. All they can do is threaten to take away their job. When you work for someone, then you take that job by choice, just as they hire you by choice. Either party can end the employment for whatever reason they want. The employer cannot silence the employee, but they can choose not to continue their employment.
Related topics
I am American...
Anti-Saddam tendancy of our president is a good thing.
Stop the topics!
Support Danish
FREE SEO - Search Engine Optimization Canada Blog
Skype - Free Calls within USA and Canada
State your Political Philosophy! (1000 FRIH$ to the best!)
Death of a president shows Bush assassination
Outrage over Virginia Tech game
Do you know why chinese commodity is so cheap?
Wikileaks.... US government blocking free speach
Canada
Gypsies fleeing Europe as Neo-Nazism on the rise
Occupy Wall st.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.