FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB2?

Mitcal
Hi all,

Does anyone know if we are allowed to use phpBB2 on our Frih websites? Because when I got an account, they said that you can't use vBullietin or IPB forums, does anyone know why BTW?

Anyways, all i want to know really is if I can host a phpBB2 forum on my website. Thanks!
mathiaus
Yes you can use phpBB2. the reason VBulletin, IPB and any other paid software is not allowed is that people usually use nulled versions which are illegal etc. phpBB however is free Smile
(Also IMO if you can afford some of their licences, you can afford paid hosting!)
turbohead
But I heard that IPB 1.x~2.0 final versions are free to use, we have to purchase later versions.

Can we use the free versions here? Question
mathiaus
It's only legal if you downloaded it from IPB before they went commercial. There is however no way (That I can see at least) of proving this so no. There is also the problem that that version is not secure, being secured by the later (paid) versions of the software, opening your account (and possibly Frihost) to malicious attacks.