FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Large Collections (I'm talking HUGE)

LostOverThere
Everyone has a collection of some sort, but does anyone have a massive collection, something like 1000 Bottle Caps, or 200 MSN Contacts.

Something People will say 'Wow' at.

Here's Mine:

I have 300 Freeware Games, each of good quality, and all are 100% legal and Free (of course). I used to have more, when when my computer crashed I lost most of them. I steadily collect them, on my ultra slow internet connections, its hard, so I usually download the good owns.

Now its your turn, anyone else have something awesome to share?
Is it Big, Is it Grand?

Then Share It!
ninjakannon
Well, when I was in primary school I collected coloured pencil leds, broken ones. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I would pick them up from the floor and take them out of my pencil sharpener when the led snapped. Then I put them in film cases for storage... I have 5 full film cases and one that's 2 thirds full still in a cupboard in my room. Now that's a LOT of coloured pencil leds; hundreds, definatly over 1000, perhaps more than 2000. I have no idea.

I've also kept every single ink cartridge that I've ever used, so there are loads and loads of those. I also have no idea why I've done this, or still am... Confused

About 2 years ago I had a phase when I liked Top Trumps (that card game) and I made my own cards - which looked quite good, if I say so myself Cool - and I have a few hundred of those Razz.

But nothing really that impressive, just big collections of nothing.

EDIT: I also collected giant african land snails a few years back and they grew to about as big as my fist, the scary thing was that they laid hundreds of eggs... in a bunch, and they laid more than one bunch of eggs. Shocked So I had quite a few giant african land snails too Razz
Josso
I have a lot of Aphex Twin records, takes up so much space in my room.
CyanEyed
i have a large collection of brain cells although i cant count them.

ill sell the spares to u for 50frih$ each :$
ninjakannon
CyanEyed wrote:
i have a large collection of brain cells although i cant count them.

ill sell the spares to u for 50frih$ each :$

If I wanted to buy some.. how would you go about sending them to me?

By email or something, or post them... I'm a little confused on this (hence my need to by your brain cells Razz), please explain.
LostOverThere
ninjakannon wrote:
Well, when I was in primary school I collected coloured pencil leds, broken ones. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I would pick them up from the floor and take them out of my pencil sharpener when the led snapped. Then I put them in film cases for storage... I have 5 full film cases and one that's 2 thirds full still in a cupboard in my room. Now that's a LOT of coloured pencil leds; hundreds, definatly over 1000, perhaps more than 2000. I have no idea.

That sounds like something I would do. Smile
Awesome though.
Tatsumaru
Umm... I have around 35 original PS2 games and 30 original metal albums. Those are the only things I 'collect' now.

I used to collect dinosaurs and everything from the teenage mutant ninja turtles when I was a little kid haha.
graeinler
When I was in grade six, that was like a decade ago, I collected marvel comics. I had them covered so as to protect them. My collection varied from x-men to x-force. I heavily adored wolverine seeing his as one big, packs a wallop arse kick. I lost them when I was in high school.

For now, I am collecting mp3's, pc-games and the like, mostly computer related as i tend to reminisce on then from time to time. You know when you like get bored with this game and want to play the others. It's pretty fun.

:: greyhood
Vrythramax
*Totally off topic*

@graeinler

Love your sig!!! Here's Mine
jcvincent
Back when I was in elementary, I had a collection of 8,000+ playing card. Those were marvel super heroes, ghost fighter, zenki, power rangers, and many more. I just love to collect playing card in those years.

Since when I was in high school, I became addicted to music that I spend almost 60% of my allowance in my album collection. I had 76 music albums in 3 years of collection. Right now, I'm a 4th year college student, and my music album collection now reach 168. hehe. I hoping to expand my collection in the next few decades.
RhysAndrews
My brother has over 4,000 Simpsons Merchandise; DVDs, Toys, you name it. It's all up on a huge display cabinet that takes up half his room. As for me? Well, I guess my album collection is rather large... every Bon Jovi album, every Dream Theater album, every Pink Floyd Album, almost ever Metallica Album, every Symphony X Album, and lots of other bands here and there.

Regards
Rhys Andrews
windrei
ha ?? what do you mean of huge ?? in quantity ??? i just have many songs in my pc, maybe around 1000.... which are from different countries and different kinds of music, from classical to pop to rock.

Personally i have many CDs too. i like collecting the movie or tv dramas soundtracks.
coolclay
I have a few large collections of things.

I still have a huge baseball/football/hockey card collection of probably 1000 cards or so from when I was a kid.

I have a huge collection of fossils probably around 1000 or more, and lots of minerals, and rocks too. Most of them 95% I have found myself too, so they mean a lot to me.
LostOverThere
jcvincent wrote:
...I had a collection of 8,000+ playing card.

Holy Cow! Thats one heck of a lot. Smile
How long did it take you?
HoboPelican
Well, it wasn't huge in number, but at one time I had 15 functioning computers in my office. IBMs, Apple IIes, Amigas, CoCos, an atari ST, and 2 homebrews from the '70s. Oh, and a Next Box that I had on a two year loan, but that wasn't really mine.

I finally cleaned most of them out last year and am down to a more sensible 4 for me the the wife.
LostOverThere
Thats still a lot of computers...
izcool
ninjakannon wrote:
I've also kept every single ink cartridge that I've ever used, so there are loads and loads of those. I also have no idea why I've done this, or still am... Confused

The reason on why you're saving them is to save money. Here's what I found out. I think both of these deals are great.

OfficeMax
You take your ink cartridges into OfficeMax (just provided that they are HP, Lexmark, or Dell, not too sure about others, you should ask) and for each one you bring in, you get a FREE ream of paper. No kidding ay ? I done the same thing as you, I saved all the ones I had and now I have a TON of paper that should last me for the next 10 or so years by what it looks like. I only go through a ream of paper every few months.

Staples
You go into Staples with your ink cartridges and you get $2.00 off for each one you bring in on your next ink cartridge. I'm not sure on if you can use more than one when you buy your replacement, but if you don't have an OfficeMax in your area, I recommend this offer.

ANYWAYS, off to my "big" collections of things.

Pop Tabs
Over the past year, I was pulling off and saving each of the pop tabs from each can of soda that I drank. I stopped doing that now since a year has passed since I started doing it, but it's just incredible on seeing how many I actually saved up. In this photo, I grouped them in links of 3 pop tabs each. I haven't counted all of the links yet, but to me that's a LOT of soda pop.

Computers
I'm a very geeky person, so I have a bit of a big collection of computers. I think I have 4 laptops with around 15 desktop computers, 2 Macintosh computers, and I'm not sure if that count is accurate. I'm starting to run out of room to keep these things, so I need to think of something clever to reorganize them.

EDIT :
I got a bit bored and started to count how many links there are in that chain I made, and found out that there are 432 links on it. You multiply 432 and 3 and that equals 1,296 pop tabs. That's a LOT I drank. Shocked Actually, it's not too bad, because I took 1,296 and divided it by 365, and found out that it's only around 3.5 sodas a day. That doesn't sound too bad. Very Happy

- Mike.
ninjakannon
izcool wrote:
The reason on why you're saving them is to save money. Here's what I found out. I think both of these deals are great.

Oooo, I didn't know you could get money for them. I think they will finally come into some use. Thanks for that Very Happy

LostOverThere wrote:
Thats still a lot of computers...

I thought it was, untill I read about izcool's computer collection:

izcool wrote:
I have 4 laptops with around 15 desktop computers, 2 Macintosh computers

21 Computers Exclamation Now that really is a lot of computers. Shocked
Mental2k
terry pratchett books, i have well over 50 now and am still collecting, i have a few complete collections of other authors books, however most of these are collections of less than 5. ah well.

Also baseball caps, i have over 40 of these as well. I collect random stuff as well, such as warren ellis comics, though most of the time i end up buying the graphic novels meh.
HoboPelican
Mental2k wrote:
terry pratchett books, i have well over 50 now and am still collecting, i have a few complete collections of other authors books, however most of these are collections of less than 5. ah well...

Wow, I didn't even know he had that many books out!

Hmm, I never even thought of my books. I'd have to do a count, since I stopped cataloging them. Last count, about 5 years ago, was like 2500 plus. Hey, can I count my wives books to? That would jack the total up Laughing
Mental2k
oh yeah easily. Most people know about his discworld series not his other stuf, but theres around 30 discworld books on their own and do form the majority of his writing. heh, i may start collecting the screenplays some of his books were made into jus for completions sake soon. good lord 2500 books, lol, i've probably only got 3-400. that is quite the collection i must say.
Josso
That's cool, I've read only about 10-15 books but I'm getting to grasps with the concepts and insanity already. I've also read all of the Johnny and the Dead etc series.
Mental2k
yeah the jonny series rocks. I reccomend good omens. Written pratchett and neil gaiman, truely an extremely funny book.
Sappho
Wow 2500 books, that would take someone a lifetime to read Wink I have only around 500 and mostly fantasy or sci-fi, Gemmel, Kulhanek, Feist, Sapkowski...

But when we are talking about huge collections i have a lot of MtG cards, and i mean a lot somewhere over 20000, but its been some time since i went to the last tourney, like 5-6 years. I dont even know what cards are played in Type2 tournaments these days. Wink
Josso
Quote:
I reccomend good omens.

Yeah I'm reading that at the moment, only about 1/4 way through but I've been busy Sad. Anyway back on topic.
tra2002
I've collected old pc's over the years. All still in working order 21 of them. I even have a old working pd3211 mainframe. Only problem is the wife is ready to move me out or the pc's out of the basement lol
linexpert
I have close to 5000 ebooks. I hate reading actual books so i just get ebooks, this way i can search for something righaway and if i get lazy i can just run a program to read me the book.
I know i'm lazy... Very Happy
HoboPelican
tra2002 wrote:
I've collected old pc's over the years. All still in working order 21 of them. I even have a old working pd3211 mainframe. Only problem is the wife is ready to move me out or the pc's out of the basement lol

dang, I could have sent all my old ones to you! I even had a one of those huge digital tape storage units I salvaged from where I used to work.

BTW-I didn't say I read all of those. Wink Only about 80%. I just couldn't stand to see a book be thrown out.
DianaCoelho
well, i have about 800 calendars and 200 postcards... i dont know if this is huge, mas it gave me a lot of work to keep it organized!!..
Ratman2050
I had collected every LOTR of the rings game, as well as movie ever.
Along with a few originals. I also have everything from the Hobbit.

Books of LOTR. who gives a crap of books Wink
OutlawSpirit
2pac promo singles Cool
Bookface
everything electronic. I've got more MP3s, movies, and ebooks than I could possibly consume in my lifetime. Um... all of them are legal. Right. I also grab TV shows and have a complete collection for The Simpsons, Daria, Gilmore Girls up to season 4, Futurama, MacGuyver up to season 3, Quantum Leap to season 4, Bullshit! season 1, and probably dozens more, as well as (incomplete) collections including 48 episodes of Dr. Katz, a bunch of Animanics, hell even some Japanorama and PowerPuff Girls. I used to be almost addicted to downloading and ripping things from my local library.

I've got DVDs full of abandonware and freeware games, though I never really got into the flashy commercial shoot-em-ups. I've got seven active and two usable but unused computers in this room, two active and three unused/of questionable workingness upstairs in my room, one as an HTPC in the living room, eight in the garage, one more previously used as a router but now just sitting there, and one more in the room full o books, which houses another collection of mine: a room full o books.

I don't have any numbers, but let's estimate a bookshelf row as holding 40, in which case I've got 1200 on the walls alone, plus dozens of boxes, +280 more by that estimation in my room in shelves and probably 30 scattered about... hrm, no wonder everything is so cluttered here, I have way too much stuff.
ninjakannon
Bookface wrote:
everything electronic. I've got more MP3s, movies, and ebooks than I could possibly consume in my lifetime

Consume, wow... I've never met / even heard of anyone who actually eats electronic items. How do you do it? I mean, I can't eat ebooks - no matter how hard I try. Laughing
kikass
i've got exactly 237 hot wheel cars ! used to buy these models very frequently when i was a kid... nowadays i just buy when a really cool model comes along... just bought the McLaren F1 car scale model! Smile
standready
I have over 3000+ albums, CDs. My database helps locate. Also a large collection of baseball cards. Need to put them into a database.
ninjakannon
standready wrote:
I have over 3000+ albums, CDs. My database helps locate.

Wow, some I don't even have 3000 songs! Shocked
That is a hell of a lot of music; have you managed to listen to all of it yet? You definatly need a database to help find all of it Razz

Nice collection! Smile
orno
i used to collect all my long distance boarding cards, flight tickets and train tickets. then i decided to stop coz i started travelling too much and anyways, they invented e-tickets Razz
Klaw 2
I have a Pistachio shell collection, I started to keep them in a little cup, it got too small, and I went to put them in a jar, then in a larger jar, then I had two larg jars full of them, but it doesnt end there. I went to look in the attic and I found a bottle of 15 liters so I started to put them in there:

I guess theres about eight and a half liters in there and i guess I ate about eighty five procent of them Shocked thats quite a lot of them I'm thinking about sending it to "guinniss world records" lets see if i can get into the book, lol.
standready
ninjakannon wrote:
standready wrote:
I have over 3000+ albums, CDs. My database helps locate.

Wow, some I don't even have 3000 songs! Shocked
That is a hell of a lot of music; have you managed to listen to all of it yet? You definatly need a database to help find all of it Razz

Nice collection! Smile

Thank you. Yes, I have listened to all of it at least once, usually right after purchase. Many times, I pull something just to listen to a couple of the songs. Could you image what size hard drive I would need to convert all to mp3s not to mention the time. Some radio stations do what they call an "A to Z" run. Might last 4 or 5 days. If I did that, it would probably last at least 3 months going nonstop.
Daniel15
Well, I used to collect Metcards, until I got bored and threw them all out Razz

Quote:

Wow, that's awesome! The oldest working computer I have is a Pentium II 350MHz (which really isn't that old, considering I'm typing this on my Pentium III 866MHz)

The non-working computers in my garage are:

• An Amiga 500
  • An Amiga 2000
  • A 286 10MHz
  • A 486 (100MHz)
  • A Pentium I (133 MHz)

The 286 and Pentium just spontanously stopped working one day. I accidentally blew up the BIOS on the 486 Razz