FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you Buy or Download your music?

Download or Buy?
Download
65%
 65%  [ 27 ]
Buy
34%
 34%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 41

Hammy
It's quite a rip off to all the bands and the little music stores out there trying to make a living giving you music.... They lose millions each month from people downloading and sharing music over the internet.

But... I for one download the majority of my music. You?
XLax
I do both of course. I normally look for music I like by hearing samples on www.allmusic.com and then downloading full songs if I like them. If I do, and I am passing by and see a cd from a band I like, I will normally buy it if I have enough money on me. I recently bought a Dresden Dolls cd. So good.
Y-D_1987
For the past 2 years i've downloaded 95% of my music Razz but i have now started to buy again on certain albums that i don't mind paying for.
zuk4u
100% downloaded mp3's, i'have over 17 gigabytes of mp3 if i would want to buy all the albums and mp3's i have it would cost me a little fortune.
markietos
download all the time but if i like the artist i buy the cd to help that artist if u get me
XLax
Quote:
"100% downloaded mp3's, i'have over 17 gigabytes of mp3 if i would want to buy all the albums and mp3's i have it would cost me a little fortune." - zuk4u

One of my friends has eleven and a half days of music on his computer. It's just a bit over 18 gigabytes. I have a few hours, a bit of each band I like
kazikame
I think it's always nicer to have the packaging and all that stuff.
hrtorrent
I think 99% of downloaded music in my Country is illegal. I never heart for someone to buy and download music.
Also I think funs of some music artist will buy original album anyway...
d4rch
I used to download the songs I want because buying CD just for 1 or 2 songs was and is always a bit expensive. But now i found a website where I can listen all the songs I like. It's free and completely legal !!
Go now on : http://www.radioblogclub.com/ (the site looks currently to be out or under construction so add this link to your favorites and wait Surprised )
Hammy
I used to go on radioblogclub but they didnt seen to have many songs when i use it. It was a long time ago tho. Might check it outagain. The link is working now by the way.

I download my music from Torrents, then i get whole albums.
Anyone else use bitTorrent?

Hammy.
Scott
CDs are incredibly expensive these days. Downloading is both a lot cheaper and a lot more convieniant, plus most music stores don't carry most of the music I download.

roach831
i actually do both because i like supporting the artist i like by buying there cd and downloading there cd
mistuh griddlez
I personally buy the CD mainly because it's always good to have a hard copy...otherwise i go to either Itunes walmart or Yahoo and buy some downloads. I personally don't download anything for free. (except a few songs! Very Happy)
Tatsumaru
Both really... if it's from an artist I already know well, I might buy the album 'blindly'. But often, I will download 2-3 tracks to see if it's good - then I proceed with buying the album.

At the moment I have around 30 metal albums, not that much but I haven't been collecting for that long (a few months).
Josso
Couldn't really answer the poll Confused. All the stuff I download I'm looking for because of recommendations or whatever. After burning my mp3's to disc I'll usually buy the album, if it's rare I only play the mp3 disc, very useful infact.
kazoe
You should have added the 'both' option. I do what most people here does. I download music to test if I like the album or not, more like previewing it then if I liked it, I'll buy a CD at the stores. Its easier to pick the stuffs you like that way. Not to mention its easy to create playlists than switch CDs on your player.
saskshadowplayers
Yeah I agree with just about everyone on this topic. I download an album to see if its any good, and if I really like it I'll buy it, and if it's terrible.. I don't listen to it and nobody loses.
screamingdecay
I download the music, if I like it I will buy there album thats how it is. If anyone does not like it they can .... off. Because I am not wasteing my hard earned money on a CD that could suck.
HDirtwater
Well, I guess I can ...... off then. As a person who makes money based on how many people buy the CDs that I perform on, I directly lose money any time something is downloaded and not bought. Why don't you people who have to illegally download something before you decide if you like it go to Amazon or somewhere and listen to a sample. Then buy the albums.

I'm not going to defend the billionaires who complain about it, but there are plenty of lesser knowns who could benefit greatly from more record sales. Downloading instead of buying is just plain theft. To think otherwise is simply wrong. No two ways about it.
mgumn
My opinion is, if it is good enough to listen too more than once a week, then i buy it, and i also make an effort to go and see a band i like them, because i heard they get more money from tours than album sales...
freakinlame
download to preview the songs. But spending money to buy the original album is a must. Come on, if u like the singer, u won't even mind paying. I mean of course u can download the songs for free but would that be a good thing to do? if u pay to download then its okay. But having the album is much better coz u get the cover and exclusive photos as well as signature from ur favourite artist. Least u can do if u cant afford is to listen to the songs over the radio or even exchange cd's with frens. That way u can listen to many songs and not having to pay much. Smile
kikass
well i also come in the 'both' category.... i buy all albums of fav bands without thinking twice... even if some turn out to be not so good albums, theres just something i have about collecting... all CDs of the bands i like.. lined up in my room.. nice! Laughing

on the other hand.. some tracks which i know i just wanna listen to a few times.. i'll just download... i am not yet ready to pay for a song which i'll listen to 10 -12 times... Twisted Evil
bulek
I never bough and original CD, neither one. I download all of the music from P2P programs. Of course, illegal, original CD's are simply too expensive.
Andrew426
I used to download music heaps, but many of the bands I listen to (mostly local bands) are impossible to find when your downloading, so its easier for me just to buy the cd.

Also, now that I have started buying cds again, i have a legal copy of almost every mp3 on my computer (I didnt plan for that to happen, it just did).
jds10912
i do both, buy CD's of indie and local bands
and i download all huge mainstream artists (unless i really like them)
arclight
90% of my music is downloaded from net.
standready
HDirtwater wrote:
Well, I guess I can ...... off then. As a person who makes money based on how many people buy the CDs that I perform on, I directly lose money any time something is downloaded and not bought. Why don't you people who have to illegally download something before you decide if you like it go to Amazon or somewhere and listen to a sample. Then buy the albums.

I'm not going to defend the billionaires who complain about it, but there are plenty of lesser knowns who could benefit greatly from more record sales. Downloading instead of buying is just plain theft. To think otherwise is simply wrong. No two ways about it.

I agree. As a song writer, I get NOTHING for my creative work if you steal it. I need my royalties to live. Oh yeah, The artist may get a little publicity but really.

Economics: Now, I will not disagree that recorded material can be costly. The recording company and retail outlet are the ones who profit by setting the prices. Retailt outlet mark up almost everything 100%. That means 50% of what you pay stays in their pocket. As mentioned earlier, the artist get approximately 14% of the recording company's cut not the retail price however. My royalty payment is out of the artist pocket. The compact disc is the least expensive to put on costing less than a dollar to produce.

I would also like to thank each and everyone of you who purchase your music legally.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I think that this discussion has being going on of a long time now. Some means that illegal downloading are giving more less sale on legal cd's bought in a recordstore, someone doesn't. These who think it does, is mostly that when you're downloading music, you often download music that you never would had bought anyway, as you often to hear the music before buying, not only 30 sek or something else.

I'm only buying music that is worth to spend money on, and I've many cd's that I've bought after that I've been downloaded it and had listened for a while, and still haven't tired out it.

I think that the major record labels should be more less concervative, and watch up what possibilities that there would be to release full length samples on their sites, to give the customer a chance to find out if he would buy it or not, probably 50% quality etc. or give the customer more for the money when you're buying the real product.

Last words! MP3 can't even give you 100% satisfaction, not even 50%. So comeon man, and stop this discussion for ever. There isn't any new on this, for 20 years ago was it casette tapes now does it calling mp3.

See you

Cheers!
Commando_Sondre
Most of the music I have on my computer is downloaded, but I have a lot of CDs bought also. Think its around 100 albums. So I don't feel pity for the music branch.
idiotsoft
Download of course... For what are the bulgarian free servers Smile
ThornsOfSorrow
The only time I download is when I want to hear what a band sounds like and I can't find any samples on their web site. Then, if I like what I downloaded, I'll buy the CD; if I don't like it, I'll delete whatever I downloaded. In my opinion, downloading any other way is unfair to the band.
comite_bh
WEellllll;

I download music when the records they release have only that one song i want and like. The thing is, there are lots of commercial bands out there who just release one good song so people buy their crippy records! it's really stupid!!

But there are some bands who deserve my spending money with them, such as pink floyd, led zeppelin, oasis and creedence clearwater revival! that's the scheiBe!!

I mean i know it's illegal to download music, but one or two songs won't hurt! It might actually convince me to buy some of their records!!

peace out!
medievalman26
I prefer to buy the music for myself and then I can rip it to my pc but downloading I only use if I want to hear certain bands before I decide to buy one of their cd's.
Ozzy
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
The only time I download is when I want to hear what a band sounds like and I can't find any samples on their web site. Then, if I like what I downloaded, I'll buy the CD; if I don't like it, I'll delete whatever I downloaded. In my opinion, downloading any other way is unfair to the band.

Exactly what I do with new bands.

But band that I really like, I will go out and purchase their entire discography, mostly through eBay.
Jakob [JaWGames]
If I only am searching for some random good music I download it and then if I finds any very good artists I buy some of their album.
Muffi
mostly buy CDs here, as its cheaper here to buy CDs other then downloading whole albums online and then burning them into a CD.. beh..
I simply love my car & my car system Wink
onemoment
Does anyone know some good sites to get NON-top 40 music for free?
poz2006
i download becuase its the same for me.
its spend of money when u buy music disc!!!
mercurial
i'll download most of the songs xP but i'll buy if the album happens to be like shit good or smth..worth the money actually. but i've very much stopped downloading as a whole alrdy (:
kazoe
when i bought the CD i do not bother to erase the download in my PC because that still resulted the same. i'm glued to my computer most of the time *coughjobcough* and i'm most of the time random in my choosings of songs. and you cant be random if you play your cds one by one.

and yes, i understand that thing about the musicians and piracy and downloads. its really unfair for them. so i buy cds of the bands i support. easy.
Dwyer17
Wow. Pretty sure I have not baught any music since.. Oh god.. I don't even know. I download everything. Pretty much screwed if the gov't wants to search my computer. hmm.
curnow
well i only download what i cant find in shops. id prefer to buy them to hold the cd/record when you've just bought it feels great if you like the band. sometimes i download to see if the band is any good before i buy the cd because most stores have a policy where once you have taken it out of the shop you cant return it. also i read a newspaper article which shows most people are like me, and with the increase of downloads cd sales have gone up with them bands who may not have been heard unless someone downloaded them also get some notice.
patrickrapp
Both... Very Happy
actualeffection
Laughing I only buy the CD's from bands that actually NEED the money. If a band is at an all time high and are appearing on TV then I might as well just download considering they already have a steady course of income. It's the underground bands that really need my support. They are just trying to meet ends while others can loop ends fifty times.

Buuttt, if I do like a main stream bands CD enough I will go out and purchase it. That's only if I believe that they deserve it. Which a time far and in between, Razz
deStructuralized
I generally download to check out, buy if I really like what the artist is doing on the record. If it's an artist I've come to support and trust, I'll buy without downloading...

There's just something tangibly satisfying about being able to hold a CD, read the liner notes, and play it for the first time as an entire record, as opposed to downloading an album and just listening to individual mp3s.
altmana
i like to have a mix of oldschool and new school. I download music to keep up with new stuff and check out new bands. Then for the things i like , i go to the store and get a copy of that on vinyl. i then keep still keep the digital version as i feel that if i own the record i should also be allowed a copy for the car or computer, and thankfully some enlightened record labels (Merge and Saddle Creek) are catching on as they offer free downloads of albums when you purchase the vinyl!!! Now that is what i call progress
Shewolf
I download to check out bands, and then I might buy. I buy what I think is useful paying for. So I kind of agree with people here.
SimonWSTS
I like to buy CDs of bands or artists I support and admire, it's only fair after all. It's also nice in my opinion to have something as tangable as a CD so you can have it in your collection and say "ah yes, I bought that one".

With CDs you also get the CD case and inserts which you can't get from just downloading your music.
Worldz
well....i prefer to download songs from the web...because tis is more cheaper and easy...and we can oso find more and more music from the web too....
douzy
Previously, I bought most of my songs, but these days I download them.
bigdan
I do both.

In my uni days, I just copied stuff from other peep's computers in the network. If I couldn't find it (and it was a rarity), I went to a legal music store and brought the music.

Nowadays, I do still do both, but I legally pay for and download my music, and buy the occasional CD. Very Happy
frietkot
hey,

I used to download all my music till I came up with 40.8 days of music. I didn't even know all the cd's/ bands I've downloaded so it made me think.
I then started buying my music from iTunes and ofcourse from the bands I see when I go to shows.

I go to shows quiet often, and everytime I bring 2 or more cd's/ ep's home so the original collection grows, and I like supporting the music scene, especially the local hc bands, they've got a hard time keeping there heads above water.

And ofcource I buy music because i'm in a bands too and I want that, if people listen to my music, they've spend blood, sweat, and money on the records. So that's what I do, it's like giving the right example Wink

So keep on buying:P

-Frietkot
p1nkapp1e
well, most of my music is downloaded from forums, where people share links.
i dont think it is practical to buy albums and spend loads of money on them, since once the newer songs are out, purchased albums will be left aside.. you get what i mean?

but of course, i do ocasionally buy albums to support certain singers. (: