FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mepis Linux?

Handyman
Has or is any one used Mepis linux. Is it as easy to install as they say. It looks like a good distro and easy to install. What other distros would you recomend as far as easy to install? I am new to linux and just want to use it to get an old ibm 600e notebook runing for my son. Shocked
djclue917
Handyman wrote:
Has or is any one used Mepis linux. Is it as easy to install as they say. It looks like a good distro and easy to install. What other distros would you recomend as far as easy to install? I am new to linux and just want to use it to get an old ibm 600e notebook runing for my son. Shocked

Just to correct you, the distro is called SimplyMEPIS... Anyway, I have not used MEPIS and don't have plans to do so since I'm very happy with Arch Linux.
Before becoming an Arch Linux user, I have used Kubuntu 5.04 first up to the latest version, Kubuntu 6.06. I've also used Ubuntu 5.04 and Ubuntu 5.10. Well, why am I talking about Ubuntu here?

The thing is that SimplyMEPIS, as of 6.0, is now based on Ubuntu (6.06 to be specific) and not Debian. The overall feel would still be different since Ubuntu and MEPIS are to different distros. However, I think MEPIS, like Ubuntu, SUSE, and others, is well-suited for beginners and is also very easy to install. Well, you could also try the other Ubuntu projects most especially Xubuntu. Not as pleasing to the eye as KDE or GNOME but runs on older hardware better...