FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crime and Punishment

rorio
By Fiodor Dostojewski.
Great book! Everything in it! Some philosophy, crime...
It's about an ex-student, Raskolnikov.
He had to give up his education due to lack of money.
He has no job, he gets money for living from his mother: she is very poor, so he doesn't want to make her situation harder than it is.
He decides to kill an old woman.
He invents the explanation for doing that: One crime can be "removed" by doing good things and some people are not limited by law(like Nietzsche theory).

One day he do, what he was going to do: he had to kill one woman "extra" who was the crimes witness.

He takes some money and the real plot begins: he's getting insane. He can't live with the crime.

The book is really worth reading!
patafizicar
Yes, I would say that Dostoevsky has nearly everything in his books. Other novels (Demons, Idiot, Brothers Karamazov, Adolescent, ...) are also 'really worth reading[s]'.
maxi2k6
I'm a Russian literature fan myself (I'm fascinated by their culture... specially pre-revolution) and Dostoevsky is indeed one of the greatest novelists ever, his insight into the human mind is IMHO unmatched b any other writer. You KNOW what Raskilnikov is feeling, you just do.

that being said, I consider Crime and punishment not to be his greatest novel.... that's an award I give The brothers Karamazov, probably the best book ever written
Traveller
Maxi,

Crime and Punishment is probably my favourite book, with Brothers Karamazov a VERY close second. The particular translations I read were by Pevear and Volokhonsky, and were absolutely riveting. That has gotten me positively hooked on Russian literature, and hoping that the same team will translate War and Peace.

Since you are a big fan of Russian literature, but I am relatively new to it, would you have any other recommendations other than the obvious? (The obvious being War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Death of Ivan Illych, Cancer Ward, etc.)

Thanks!
maxi2k6
Traveller wrote:
Maxi,

Since you are a big fan of Russian literature, but I am relatively new to it, would you have any other recommendations other than the obvious? (The obvious being War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Death of Ivan Illych, Cancer Ward, etc.)

Thanks!

Well... I haven't yet moved away from Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, from the ones I read, I'd recommend Brothers Karamazov as my favorite, closely followed by war and peace, Anna Karenina, The Idiot, Crime and punishment and tales from the underground.
Right now, I'm reading a compilation of short novels by Tolstoy fronted by the death of Ivan Illich.
The Idiot, I read by Pevear and Volokhonsky and I got to say it was indeed amazing (they brought a more "modern" pacing), nut the translation of war and peace I read (by Ann DUnnigan), was excellent too.

What I have on the pipeline (to drift away from the big two) are
"Dead souls" by Nikolai Gogol, "Fathers and sons" by Ivan Turgenev and probably something by Pushkin (very much referenced in Dostoevsky's books).
I havent read any of them yet, but as far I can tell they are a great way of going deeper into Russian literature.

One novel I found the other day that caught my attention inmediatly is "the day lasts more than a hundred years" by Chingiz Aitmatov, its relatively new (1988) and its supposed to be a critique of the soviet regime by interposing three different storylines: a rail worker burying a friend, folk stories as he remembers it, and a space mission that is contacted by a race of aliens Shocked
It sounds interesting, and a fun way of getting into modern russian literature Twisted Evil

let me know if you read something I haven't (or where recommended something different).

peace!
Traveller
maxi2k6 wrote:
The Idiot, I read by Pevear and Volokhonsky and I got to say it was indeed amazing (they brought a more "modern" pacing), nut the translation of war and peace I read (by Ann DUnnigan), was excellent too.

I have their Anna Karenina translation, but just haven't read it yet, since I have a bunch of work to do right now and am also rereading Francis Schaeffer's The God Who is There.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out!
ignitionnight
God I loved this book. I really need to get it and read it again. I didn't have a chance to finish it but I really enjoyed what I read of Brothers Karamazov.
Ljsk
I liked this book.