FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PDA ... what about Palm

cchantrain
I am looking for a new pda. Since I am a Macuser, I turn on Palm but this company seems to be sleeping and there hasn't been new product for a while... Does anybody has an idea of the future of Palm pda ? and if it is too dark does anyone has an experience of windows mobile with Mac (that is a shame to get back to MS but ...)
psycosquirrel
I have no idea about the most recent Palms. I have an old Palm III XE, and it works great. You could always just get an old Palm, I doubt they will be coming out with anything revolutionary any time soon...
ck88
I have a Tungsten T5. And while it is a very powerful PDA it crashes at least once a day. I have done everything short of exchanging it to fix the problem, but it is not getting better.
My advice for the moment. Wait a while until Palm has decided on a new OS (which might be MS Windows).
alkady
Forget Palm, They are declining.... The LifeDrive is nice looking but still, I just don't feel comfortable with their interface.

...Also, Microsoft is working on a Computer Like Handheld where for the same price of a Handheld, It's going to do more things and I hear you can even play games.

I have a Axim X50 and it's the equivalent of a T5. Except you don't get much features and everything, But its still does what I need it for.

...Running a Business.
disidro
I've been a Palm user for 4 years and I can tell you I've had a great time with these devices, both fun and productive-wise speaking. Plus, I'm a Mac user and with a program called Mark/Space the integration between both systems is brilliant (contacts, dates, memos, photos, music and more are perfectly synchronized). So I definitely recommend you buying a new Palm device with the Palm OS if it suits your needs (it could be a Treo, LifeDrive, Tungsten TX, Tungsten E2 or Zire 22, depending on your future use and your budget).

Regarding Palm's future, I don't believe we have nothing to worry about. They're expanding their target by adding Windows Mobile to its product lineup and they're selling as many Treos as ever... We will have Palm for a long time...
fionab
I was always an avid Palm fan but yes I agree they have not kept pace. Do a search there a re several sites dedicated to reviewing the latest PDA's. I have chosen to now go the cellphone intergrated PDA so have an iMate as that is the only option to do this with in my country. But there are many cell enabled PDA's so look around and asses your requirements.

http://www.pdabuzz.com/
izcool
Since you're talking Apple, I believe Apple made the Newton many years back. Well, I guess that's not what you're looking for as that was quite some time ago.

Not too sure on that to be honest. Sorry.

- Mike.
pudovkin
There's a good idea on PDA market. Apple.
Why didn't they got into it? Like a mega-ultra-iPod. Smile
cchantrain
That would be the best if Apple could get back in the pda business like they innovated with Newton and IPod and Macs. However although rumors have related this for several months (even years) nothing is really coming out. And by the time this new MacOS Mobile will have optimal application my pda will be old and ready to be changed ... So I really do think to get a Palm TX which seems to be the most affordable for evolutive connexion (Wifi, ...). The contribution of Microsoft in this market scars me since they are just able to propose unstable OS that require excessive config and memories
bassgs_17
The palm OS is slowly disintegrating into nothingness, as is Windows Mobile. The trend has rapidly turned from PDAs to UMPCs in the last year, much to the dismay of myself. I own about 6 PDAs (only two are functional), and have been an avid Palm and Windows Mobile user for years. I would kill to have a nice portable machine like the OQO, but obviously I can't justify the $2000 dollar purchase.

As far as the future of the Palm OS goes, I believe I saw something on the matter floating around on Engadget...

-Aquastrike
vw_bugg
I have been using palm for over 4 years. In fact a Sony Clie Palm Handheld was the very first thing i bought with my first two paychecks.

There are many options for integrating Palm and mac. And imho Palm is not as bloated as Windows mobile and is more user friendly.

Even thought the Palm market is not as large as it once was you can get a new conditions handheld on ebay that is yesterdays gadget but is still very cool. The one i have i have had for 2 years+ and it still works perfectly.

You should check out www.1src.com a forum site dedicated to Palm and Sony Clie handhelds.[/url]
junx
i am using smartphone, why not think about it?
xerosyne
alkady wrote:
Forget Palm, They are declining.... The LifeDrive is nice looking but still, I just don't feel comfortable with their interface.

...Also, Microsoft is working on a Computer Like Handheld where for the same price of a Handheld, It's going to do more things and I hear you can even play games.

I have a Axim X50 and it's the equivalent of a T5. Except you don't get much features and everything, But its still does what I need it for.

...Running a Business.

I agree, forget palm, they've fallen into the feature bloat trap. I have a LifeDrive but it has fairly high power consumption (especially if you use the bluetooth and/or wifi) and goes flat in half an hour. The days of decent free palm software have ended too.

The Sharp Zaurus was a good Linux based PDA but not very well supported (especially if you brick them) and are hard to come by.

Smartphone is looking like the way to go.
Kd527
Or, if you don't mind a little old technology, what about the Apple Newton? (You can find them on eBay.) I have an eMate 300, and it's pretty advanced considering it's 1997 technology... Smile