FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would you put on your thumbdrive?

fireydeviant
I currently have portable versions of firefox and a few others on there, as well as Ethereal, and some other hacking tools.

I have found:
http://portableapps.com/suite
http://www.portablefreeware.com/

I was also thinking of putting a bootable version of linux on mine, any reccomendations on distros?
Ukatoton
Put a copy of DSL (Damn Small Linux) on there. The drive remains formatted as a FAT volume, and so you can use it to store other files as well (although you should make a backup, especially when you first install it).

You can use the LiveCD to install it, and it's rather nice. You can install software to it as well. The only slightl problem I've found is that it cannot read the thumbdrive, but it has to mount the drive in some configuration to be able to run, and unfortunately this means leaving the FAT part unreadable as the disk image is mounted.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
varun_dodla
i have a sandisk cruser micro 512MB USB drive but always thought it was only to carry my files around. I never knew about carrying apps in it. Thnx a lot.....shud now start searching......what sud i take???? thats the question now.....any suggestions on which portable apps are best?
otiscom
I keep a copy of VNC on mine so I can connect to my home pc from any other computer.
I find this useful if I need to download any software from mine to the one I'm working on, like diagnostic, anti-vir apps etc.
alkady
Well I use an MP3 as a Thumb Drive to hide my most precious and important files, That way if ever someone decides to snoop, They will probably think there are only songs in it..

...And the best is if they are willing to go thru my hundreds of folders, Good luck since they dont know which one it's located in.
Bernak
I also have portable applications. That way I have my own desktop everywhere! (well sort off...) Smile

Recommended!
fireydeviant
varun_dodla wrote:
i have a sandisk cruser micro 512MB USB drive but always thought it was only to carry my files around. I never knew about carrying apps in it. Thnx a lot.....shud now start searching......what sud i take???? thats the question now.....any suggestions on which portable apps are best?

I would have at least a copy of firefox, just to avoid IE. Something to check your email would be good too. I have some 'network tools' on mine as well, packet sniffers, nmap, etc. I use mine on a school network, so I have a proxy set up with encryption to get around blockouts etc.

What you put on there depends on what you need too. bootable drives are great for system recovery and maintenance. What are you going to use it for?
TheGeek
I have a 256MB drive that i got from a friend who upgraded to a 1GB one. He already had a lot of tools loaded onto it such as portable firefox and the like. I however, erased all the stuff he had on it (minus a few apps) and re-installed firefox, thunderbird, filezilla, VNC, and a few other various programs along with one of my favorite flash games. The rest is mostly either Backed up websites im running, some special pictures or just doc's i have for school. I also like to use it when im storing encryption keys for AxCrypt for some of the more important files on my computers.
psycosquirrel
Backups of everything and mp3s.
william
A lot of stuff. Backups, music, small videos, some applications, documents, photos, and more.