FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

speaker types.

IceNinjaa
i have a laptop and im going to college within a month. seeing as space is limited me and my roommate are seeking other options in terms of music. instead of bringing a stereo system or boombox, we were thinking we could get away with some speakers for our laptops.

yes i know that there are notebook speakers, but i fear that they are geared towards portability rather than sound. so my question is, can i use any computer speakers on my laptop?

if not, or if you feel they are quite good can you reccomend a good set of notebook speakers? try and keep them under 75 bucks US if possible.
Donutey
As long as you have a headphone jack, you can use any sort of computer speakers, although you can buy specially designed portable notebook speakers if you want.
ddukki
You should also look at some USB sound cards if you want quality. The computer speakers will only go so far as the internal notebook card ... and that's not very far.
Bernak
Also look for "active speakers", the ones that have a power connector or at least batteries. With "passive" ones your volume will be very limited.
psycosquirrel
Since no one will post links, here goes:

USB sound card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102174

5.1 Speakers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121126

You probably could find both in a computer store near you, the shipping on the speakers kills the online pricing. I purchased the speakers I listed from a local Microcenter for $45, and they work great. They are VERY loud too. The base is not amazing, but it will piss off your neighbors if you are in a dorm...