FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

question

DEViANCE
whats better?
ati or NVidia?
psycosquirrel
It is all preference. I have tons of experience with computers, and I truely think NVIDIA is much, much, much, much better than ATI. Unfortunately, ATI and AMD will be officially merging soon. That means my favorite two computer companies will become rivals. Things are changing now (as usual), and it seems to be for the worse. But for now, NVIDIA kicks ATI's ass and AMD processors are dirt-cheap. Enjoy it while it lasts Very Happy
william
It sort of depends, but if I had to choose, it would be nVidia. ATI seems to win when it comes to single card, in most cases, though ATI's Crossfire is no match for nVidia's SLI. I'll compare two top of line cards, the nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX to ATI's Radeon X1900 XTX. In single card performance, ATI wins in most tests, however loses some. Though, when you use two of the cards in Crossfire and SLI, nVidia obviously wins in performance. And, like psycosquirrel said, AMD and ATI will merge soon. That was kind of hard to believe at first, since I had expected AMD to merge up with nVidia (if at all). Anyway, most of ATI's cards are large and run hotter than nVidia. In conclusion, nVidia, I would say, is better than ATI, though ATI isn't a bad company they make wonderful products.
Rocky3478
ATI's graphics cards run more stable though. Wink And unless things have changed recently, ATI has a hardware DVD decoder built in, and NVIDIA doesn't. At least all the NVIDIAs that I have tried do not.
psycosquirrel
Rocky3478 wrote:
ATI's graphics cards run more stable though. Wink

EH WHAT?

Uh no. At work, we have crappy gateways with PCI-E ATIs and they are much less stable than the crappier old gateways with AGP NVIDIAs. Since ATI runs so hot because they try desperately to keep up with NVIDIA, they are generally much less stable...

Rocky3478 wrote:
And unless things have changed recently, ATI has a hardware DVD decoder built in, and NVIDIA doesn't. At least all the NVIDIAs that I have tried do not.

I think the 7 series does. Don't quote me on that though...

Sorry to be so defensive, your experience wth these companies seems to be opposite of mine Shocked
Bernak
If you're ok with some driver configuration problems now and then, I thing nVidia cards are a bit faster an energy-efficient.

If you're a regular pc user, I would recommend ATI cards, because the catalyst drivers are very polished. They work almost error free.

I personally prefer ATI cards, but that's only my opinion Cool