FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Switching drive names?

Josso
Ok so heres the deal. My stupid computer manafacturer while upgrading my machine accidently left an extra hard drive in it. Now this isn't a particually bad thing but the smallest drive (70GB) is now C:\. Ideally I want the biggest drive (230GB) to be C:\. I can switch the drive names in Windows but I can't change the primary drive while Windows is running I don't think Confused. Is there any way of switching drive names in BIOS or some other kind of juggle around way I can make my biggest drive the primary one?

Thanks
- Joss
kronso.23
In your computer there is a slave and a master drive, the master drive is the primary hard drive, and it is clearly labeled on the ribbon that is plugged into the back of the hard drive, so if you just switch the hard drive plugs, make the bigger one the master, and that will most likely make the bigger hard drive the primary drive, g/l Wink
Josso
I thought their might have been an entirely virtual way to do it but obviously not, I'll take the casing off tommorow. Thank you.
Bones
If you change the drive letter on the system drive (the one with WIndows on it), You are probably going to break the OS, and almost certainly all of the software pointers.

Actually, I always put the smallest drive as C anyway. Install Windows on the small drive, and use the biggest drive for my games\data\apps\downloads. That way, if I do need to reinstall Windows, then it's on it's own drive and I dont have to worry about data loss.
DimaSafr
Ye that is right one drive is always (phisically) master and one slave!
However, you can swithch drive letters (names) without having to change phisical master-slave positions. Use drive mapper that comes with Power Particion Magic, It will allow you to change drive letters and then update all the references so the software already installed won't collapce.
The only thin you can't simply swap C: and D: at once, you will need to play around with the leters a bit; lets say change C: for F: (so C is relised) than change D: for C: and than change F: for D:. after that just run the drive mapper and tell it to update all the references for drive C: to drive D: and than the same for D: to C:.
Hope this helps.
DimaSafr
Bones wrote:

Actually, I always put the smallest drive as C anyway. Install Windows on the small drive, and use the biggest drive for my games\data\apps\downloads. That way, if I do need to reinstall Windows, then it's on it's own drive and I dont have to worry about data loss.

Also, this is a good advice. I normally organise my drives in exactly the same way!