FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Graphic and Website Design

DeFwh
Hi its DeFwh,

My field is full of opportunity and is apart of one of the biggest money makers of all the World Wide Web. Jobs such as coding, video and audio production/editing, layout, graphic design, statistics, advertising, and overall development are within in this field.

Currently you can easily become a freelancer in this market which is a fun and exciting way to make money easy and fast. Dont be fooled by this prospect because it takes a lot of patience and practice.

You can earn anywhere from $300 to $2000 just for a single site.

If you have any questions about this field or need any help developing your skills give me a PM and I would be happy to help.
Mwilliams
I've been working with this stuff. I do website design, video production, graphic design, and special effects.

It is a good job and it's very fun. So far I don't have my own graphic design studio but i'm working real hard so I can get better and better at my work.
DeFwh
I started doing little mini projects at school during my comp. tech class. When i started I was using notepad and basic html knowledge. Ive come a long way from then and my design studio was primarily a front for my awesome graphics and as my services grew i hired a few friends which were as unique as i was to help create some of the best graphics and sites on frihost. It was also very time consuming which lead to a drop in my grades and i have yet to come back fully to frihost with all my services.

But keep up the good work and i hope that your good at what you do.
nodarn
It is true that web design can be an intriguing hobby, but keep in mind it will grant you the money only if you can think outside the box. Today we see websites that range from very basic to websites that allow you to change content on the web site. I would recommend to anyone that is trying to get into building websites to take some time and try to understand the meaning of web applications, because that will turn any dull website into one that looks as though people spent thousands of dollars for.
JoeFriday
DeFwH.. let's see a sample of your work.. what's a website you've designed?
DeFwh
Sites

Defection Design Studios
I installed both sites and did some minor modifications to code.
http://www.defection.frih.net/

Optical-Gaming Clan

http://og.optical-hosting.com/ogindex.html
All original content including clock, non-mysql db shoutbox, and a cutenews management system.

Heavenly Host Contest Site
Unfortunately my website did not win but im still proud of it.
http://www.defection.frih.net/hhost/bizsite1.html

Custom Graphics

tamilparks
I am creating webpage for my personal and tamil pages

visit it once
juliox
Hi there i just like to made webpages but i dont have the time to finished them and besides i like to do it, but im not like you pro's, just look at the page that i was doing in it a while ago but i did not finish it...

http://jenus.frih.net

Tell me if you like it or not, i usually mk them with flash, dreamweaver, some html, im trying to learn some php and trying a big time effort to use photoshop bc im not really good at designs...
tamilparks
I like your homepage its very nice to see, you have done in FLASH its a nice webpage please visit my webpage also http://tamilparks.page.tl/ and tell the comments
juliox
ok man i will look for your page later on when i get to my home, right know im at my job at a call center and for some reason i can see your page from here, but as soon as i get to my home i will look for it...
onydchic
i dunno, i really wanted to get into graphic and web design, but i admit it got boring especially as i am working for a company and i have to get the approval from my bosses, before anything. it became dull, and the fact that the pay sucked didnt make me too enthusistic either. Is this job more fun as an entrepreneur??? what do u think?
JoeFriday
I think you mean as a freelancer

is it more fun? not necessarily.. you still have to answer to the client who is paying you.. but at least you usually won't be dealing with a committee if you freelance.. that makes it a lot easier (well, not a lot, but a little)

the one advantage to freelancing is having many clients rather than just one boss.. so having 50% of your clients be fun to work with is better than 1 boss who isn't.. on the other hand, working for a fun company and having a steady job is better than trying to come up with new clients all the time, as freelancers have to

also, graphics departments in larger firms almost always have access to more/better equipment and resources

it's really personal preference.. some people enjoy the variety that freelancing provides.. others like the stability of working for one group

I doubt there's much difference in pay.. if you're really good, you can land a good job or a lot of wealthy clients.. if you're not as good or motivated, you get what you can

the question is, do you like jumping from one project to another.. do you like being able to take a day off any time you want, at the cost of a day's income, of course? then you might like freelancing
DeFwh
JoeFriday wrote:
I think you mean as a freelancer

is it more fun? not necessarily.. you still have to answer to the client who is paying you.. but at least you usually won't be dealing with a committee if you freelance.. that makes it a lot easier (well, not a lot, but a little)

the one advantage to freelancing is having many clients rather than just one boss.. so having 50% of your clients be fun to work with is better than 1 boss who isn't.. on the other hand, working for a fun company and having a steady job is better than trying to come up with new clients all the time, as freelancers have to

also, graphics departments in larger firms almost always have access to more/better equipment and resources

it's really personal preference.. some people enjoy the variety that freelancing provides.. others like the stability of working for one group

I doubt there's much difference in pay.. if you're really good, you can land a good job or a lot of wealthy clients.. if you're not as good or motivated, you get what you can

the question is, do you like jumping from one project to another.. do you like being able to take a day off any time you want, at the cost of a day's income, of course? then you might like freelancing

I have to say that freelance might be a little unstable because u dont get benefits and u might be doing more small jobs but the best thing about being a freelancer is that u can choose ur own work load. Some freelancers take 5 to 6 jobs over two weeks which could gross anywhere from $2000 to $4000 but a big firm u migt make a $2500 salary with partial medical. working for big firms lessens also makes whatever u do theres so basically anything that u work on during ur employment there belongs to them like say a new php script or new web based code or security feature. Also freelancing can also be for those people who dont want a college degree and start earning big fast. I would say get a real job also but if u can make $700 on the side every month, i think most people would be down wit that.
onydchic
Hmm i suppose you have a fair poitn, maybe i should just change companies...
Sappho
JoeFriday i think you made some good points there, but let me add some more. Being a freelance designer/graphician myself.

JoeFriday wrote:

Not necessarily? I think it will more likely be less fun. Excellent point that you have to deal with the client yourself, most of the clients are way more stubborn that an average boss in a media/design company let me tell you Smile But yep it pretty much depends on the respective boss/client you have to deal with, when you have a good manager in your firm that deals with clients accurately you pretty much won, couse as a freelancer 90% of the time you will deal with stubborn clients that change requests at a daily basis. Rolling Eyes

JoeFriday wrote:

Just to mention don't think that you will be able to handle more like 2-3 clients at a time. Enough being told some of us were there, some of know its impossible and it will get to you back when its deadline time Wink

JoeFriday wrote:

I don't think so with today's hardware/software prizes. Smile
JoeFriday wrote:

I can only agree on this. Wink

JoeFriday wrote:

There is difference in pay couse you are doing all the work actually management, developing, testing... Of course you will not get as much as manager+developer+tester in a company together but you will definitely get more than a developer. Smile

JoeFriday wrote:

Its not much about the jumping from one project to another, this is normal even in a media/design company couse they are not working on one project at a time.
You should ask yourself a question if you are able to handle the communication and the stress with the client, if yes then go try it. Wink
DeFwh
onydchic wrote:
Hmm i suppose you have a fair poitn, maybe i should just change companies...

Solution, start your own company. I know a few people in my home town who started up a business about 3 years ago. If you live in or near a progressive or building town ( new businesses ) then its a great place to start and get recognized within the communties. From there you can go to bigger companies such as small firms and some manufacturing outlets. Many customers are looking for websites to show off new designs, methods of production, and much more.

Usually private companies are more like group freelancing so by putting resources together you can acheive maximum output. Also you have someone to keep you on task. It can also get boring to sit there and work a site alone. Social contact during work hours usually boosts performance about 15%.
tamilparks
Very great but can any one tell whether any online learning courses are there
medievalman26
I do web design here is my first site it was for a book report and I was extremely board so it is really basic

http://www.horowitzite.pcredemption.com/

my friend is hostng it for me.
rhathar
I love working on websites... but how can you deal with the people? Razz Clients are picky and annoying. Feh.
medievalman26
It is really easy you just have to listen to them and do it for the money for example my friend made a website and the client gave him hundereds of emails of things he wanted so what he did was read the messages and made the minor changes. But I agree with you clients are picky and tend to get on my nerves too.
cloudship
i do not design, but i enjoy wonderful designs. maybe i have no talent in painting and find the most suitable color for stuffs. hehe
largelyobscure
I think as in a lot of cases not only would it depend on whether or not how picky a particular group of client or client base would be, but also at how well the individual wanting to go into business for his/herself is able to deal with said clients (i.e. how good of a 'people-person' they are) as well as their level of organizational skills, and actual training (self-taught or otherwise), and creativity. Creativity and good work ethic will most often go a very long way, but if you have trouble dealing with people or aren't a very organized individual (in a business sense) then it might not be best for such person, but if these qualities are within such a person then they very well may exceed well in such a way -- freelancing.

My uncle actually does both; he works his regular job (gets the benefits of that) and then on his off time runs his own computer consulting and web hosting and design business. For him, it is the best of both worlds, although it keeps him very busy.

I'd love to get back into it myself; I live in a 'technically' challenged area and ended up taking a job in unrelated interest, but it doesn't really make me happy. I would much rather be doing something at least 'technical' in the cyber-sense. I fear though that in this area that I would at least need a good bit more experience and/or education to get a regular job at least entry-level. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with trying to run my own business. I was working on a e-commerce site with a few friends a few years back and it was right after 9/11 and it really flopped -- bad; another time, I hope. Smile

I'm sorry for the rambling in this post. It just helps me to vent a little sometimes and additionally I do like message boards and forums, but just haven't had a whole lot of time recently to visit them, as well.
kazoe
yeah. clients are picky and annoying. especially if you're working in a post-production studio that is tied up with a local channel (grah, the characters Rolling Eyes ) but working on a TV network got me used to it.

im one of those people that enjoys a variety in work. my first ever job after i got my BFA is a regular graphic artist but i only stayed for 7 months. after that, i got sick of it and resigned. that's when i started jumping from different companies, doing graphic stuffs for them. sometime later, i became an in-house video-editor/graphic artist in an advertising firm. i got the freedom there but the uber demanding schedule and the people is taxing me so i dropped it and just became a freelancer graphic artist for them. its kind of nice because even though im a freelancer, im still working on the same companies and go to the office whenever i needed some sort of what we they call regular freelancer *shrug*. ****** tiring yes, sometimes. i experience going to 3 offices in a day. its only last year that i started accepting commissions online and getting in touch with my talent in manual illustration involves accepting illustation commission online and working in animation in a studio that i wont be mentioning the name. and what i mean in animation is those that you see in cartoons/anime. yea 2ds. i can do websites but im not that well-versed in css and java (or rather, im too lazy to study) so i'd rather design sites.
DeFwh
kazoe wrote:
yeah. clients are picky and annoying. especially if you're working in a post-production studio that is tied up with a local channel (grah, the characters Rolling Eyes ) but working on a TV network got me used to it.

im one of those people that enjoys a variety in work. my first ever job after i got my BFA is a regular graphic artist but i only stayed for 7 months. after that, i got sick of it and resigned. that's when i started jumping from different companies, doing graphic stuffs for them. sometime later, i became an in-house video-editor/graphic artist in an advertising firm. i got the freedom there .....

Yeah man i can understand how you feel. My customers right now for my real freelancing dont even have prototypes of the products they want to sell online. And for the first 5 weeks they didnt even call me or anything. To top things all off the finally told the name of the store to me a week ago. Customers dont always get that inorder to design you need info to give an accurate sample. Other than that they were so pleased, they said that my design really encouraged them to work faster in order to get the site out in time. Freelancing means your free and freedom is power. Dont be tied down by the shackles of office agendas and schedules ( unless u get paid a six figure salary).
magneto_ms
I want to pursue this as a career. I produce pretty decent works I am told.Smile But right now I am not sure whether I should start off alone. Can anybody suggest what should I look for in a firm that I want to work with. I would like to get an idea about the process workflows involved before I start off something on my own.

Can u suggest some firms that I should be aiming for..?
Scoria
I've been designing since one year back, and done some photoshoping, like website, backgrounds, signatures, banners and more. I used to code them by hand in the begining, but got to lozy, and now days I use dreamweaver. I add flash into every banner I do these days almost, and the results are getting better. Selling at web though, I recon is a huge problem:

Their thousend of designing companies, from 12 year old to 50, wanting people to choose theirs. Simply to much I recon. Personally, I dunno really how I'm ment to get the money Smile
But simply said, too many people selling. It is very easy to do, im only 15, and do it just as good as any one else, and I recon, to much of a marcet. Also domain names are running out fast.
m0u53m4t
The trouble is that most jobs in programming/web design are being taken to other countries like china, which isn't good news for us web-design geeks...
DansHorns
soudns good to me, good job
ArmaghBhoy
The course i study at university is Interactive Multimedia Design, I really enjoy it but its very hard to get a job after it supposedly!

Please Use Quote Tags! Another Website wrote:
If you want to become one of a new breed of professionals with expertise in computing and design, then you should consider this programme. You will be encouraged to develop a thorough understanding of the role and scope of design within all aspects of computer-based information systems, and particularly in interactive systems and multimedia.

The degree develops skills in the application of information technology, computer-based interactive multimedia including practical creative skills and a theoretical understanding of the complex interplay of social, economic, psychological, technical and aesthetic issues which underpin the subject. You will be encouraged to develop the ability to access and digest information from a range of sources, to use data and make sound technical decisions independently. You will also be encouraged to develop verbal and written communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to work as part of a team.
DeFwh
magneto_ms wrote:
I want to pursue this as a career. I produce pretty decent works I am told.Smile But right now I am not sure whether I should start off alone. Can anybody suggest what should I look for in a firm that I want to work with. I would like to get an idea about the process workflows involved before I start off something on my own.

Can u suggest some firms that I should be aiming for..?

Start out by yourself unless you really need someone to program for you in which case i dont tend to take ecommerce jobs or even heavy web application stuff.

A lot of those things takes years of schooling to understand and well doing personal sites or maybe an online store (thats not multinational) is easy. Start out small and think big.

Also dont depend on this as a line of work because in the near future next to nothing will be available in this line of work. Its a sad truth but webdesign is to hot now.

[edit]
This is a second job to me. And not as a professional im suggesting that if you want to major in web design youll suceed no doubt but youre chances of hitting a big payday are slim.
markosaurus
Hi, I'm new to the forums here and was wondering if someone could help me out? Here's my predicament:

I am currently studying my second year of my multimedia design degree in England. I keep thinking to myself that I really would like to move into the area of multimedia which I prefer, this being coding for accessability, but having spoken to my tutors on many occasions I keep getting told the same thing, which is that they think I'll get bored of doing this very soon and that I should look at other areas.

I am not sure of what other areas I can look at, but I fancy trying my hand at video/audio production as I have done some audio work before and found it very fun to do.

Basically what I want to know is a place I can have a look at which has a showcase from a few different areas of the multimedia industry and/or somewhere that can show me what other areas are open to me as a multimedia designer.

I know this sounds daft after already starting my degree, but I figured this is the industry I want to work within, it's just that I can't seem to decide with everything being new to me.

Thanks in advance.
venkateshwarans
Looks good mate. I think you could concentrate more on attracting visitors. There is the other side like increasing traffic, looking at competitors, using better colours... The site would look much better.