FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A mystery of computer microphone cables

lasdjfk
This seems like magic to me. I cut the microphone cable in order to make it shorter. So... I messure Ohm and figured out which connector went where, then I tried to solder the cable unto another connector. Well, how ever good soldering job i seemed to make... the was no sound at all. Only a big BUZZ Shocked

Okay... finally I gave up on this idea though I had to wind the old cable back together with some tape. To my surprise, that didn't work either! I put the cables together with great connection... but not a single bit of sound came through the mic... only a big BUZZZZZZZ. Crying or Very sad

There is only 2 cables inside. 1 ground and 1 other.
How can anything possibly go wrong?
psycosquirrel
Because there are 3 connectors usually in audio plugs. The outside wire mesh (many confuse it with shielding) is the 3rd wire. The three signals are Right Audio (+), Left Audio (+), and Ground (-). Therefore, you did not hook up something correctly. Go back and check your wiring, if you still need help, get some pics of the wires so I can help you find a solution easier.
lasdjfk
psycosquirrel wrote:
Because there are 3 connectors usually in audio plugs. The outside wire mesh (many confuse it with shielding) is the 3rd wire. The three signals are Right Audio (+), Left Audio (+), and Ground (-). Therefore, you did not hook up something correctly. Go back and check your wiring, if you still need help, get some pics of the wires so I can help you find a solution easier.

Hmmm, I don't have a camera here.

But i'll try to explain. There is only 2 wires. The outside wire mesh plus one white in the middle. No other at all!

When I tried to restore the cable I put:
* The outside wire mesh - to - the outside wire mesh
* The white wire - to - the white wire.
As simple as that.

The outside wire mesh goes to the sleeve on the connector.
The white wire goes to the ring on the connector.

Confused Confused Confused Confused