FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Weapons for fighting off an alien attack

horseatingweeds
I think a fun topic would be weapons for fighting off an alien attack. Here are the rules for this topic.

1. One weapon at a time.
2. Describe the weapon’s use and function.
3. Describe how it would be affective against an organization advanced enough to achieve intergalactic travel that would be interesting in attacking the earth and why.

Here is mine.

Acid nebulizer.

Makes a powerful acid into a very fine and concentrated cloud that would inundate a creature or vehicle.

An alien invader would certainly be equipped for protecting it’s self against kinetic force, heat and radiation but possibly not acid or possible an extreme alkali. Also, it would seem that an invasion would be for the purposes of achieving something. I would assume that such an advanced race would be able to manipulate molecules and have no need for specific elements. Regardless, they would be after something so I would assume that they would implement a foot soldier equivalent enabling them to be vulnerable to short range or hand held weapons used with guerilla methods, likely suicidal.
The Conspirator
Weapons to fight alien invaders?
Any alien species that has the technology to come here from another planet would be significantly more advanced than us.
So fighting an alien invader would be like a roman legionnaire fighting a modern tank.
Dj_honorio
An alien could be a funny thing.. just imagine: Humans and aliens would be tottaly differente, they would have developed in a diferent way, and for sure they wouldn't share any type of technology... Now.. What would happen, if our weapons were tottally harmless against them.. and their weapons were tottaly harmless against us? You get the picture.. I mean.. how could we battle like that? loool

So i think we should wait for them to come.. kiddnap one.. and find the best way to kill it.. Cause i'm sure their bio systens may have nothing to do with ours...
horseatingweeds
The Conspirator wrote:
Any alien species that has the technology to come here from another planet would be significantly more advanced than us.
So fighting an alien invader would be like a roman legionnaire fighting a modern tank.

True, however a roman legion COULD be affective against a tank. Certainly, they would have to put down their pila and pick up a few Molotovs. Perhaps dig some traps and things.
polarBear
a)get a really huge magnetic accelerator
b)get several 700ton iron shells
c) deintegrate the bastards.
if they survived, then
c)kneel down and seppuku
voila!
Da Rossa
Play Half-life, it's expansions and HL 2 to get more inspiration You'll have fun also. I wonder if those weapons are possible or not. That's a game, but they MAY be feasible. Except for the alien weapons/organic weapons, of course Razz
R2.DETARD
You would have to experiment. You could never know if they are allergic to PVA glue or if they can withstand nuclear explosions.

There would be no way to predict and effectively fight them.

And about the point that they have the technology to fly here so they will be able to whip us in battle isn't necessarily true. we have been successfuly working on getting around space for say 60 years. Whereas we have been focusing on better ways to kill eachother for thousands of years. there is no reason that other species wont have done things differently.
LeviticusMky
If an alien race had sufficient technologigal prowess to traverse the stars, they would likely think of Humans as something akin to the way that we think of apes or chimpanzees.

Also, the idea that an alien race would attack earth is somewhat far-fetched, as that would be somewhat like the US military waging war against a group of gorillas. We could probably take their bananas without them even knowing about it.

In essence, Human arrogance is strong enough that we believe that with enough tenacity, we could defeat an advanced space-faring race. The fact of the matter is that any type of victory in a battle like that would be extremely short lived, and futile.
S3nd K3ys
That's easy, more border patrol agents down by Mexico. Laughing

(Illegal) Alien problem solved. Wink
UHF123
> If an alien race had sufficient technological prowess to traverse the stars...

I misread this at first and thought it said stairs. I thought he was going to talk about Daleks which can traverse stairs easily these days.

How about if we try using sarcasm and irony?
Shin
A negotiator! Smile
QrafTee
Peace Maker Mark III

A missile that is a cluster to many smaller missiles holding a new form of nuclear warheads created by fusing hydrogen atoms together.

Unlike the Peace Maker that was created for World War II (eventually the Cold War... I think) this new version (Mark III after finding out the Mark II had a dud warhead) has enough force to carve out craters that would put mother nature to shame. Unfortunately this is a last resort weapon as the nuclear fallout will definitely change human lives forever. If the aliens are resistent to high levels of radiation... well at least there is a chance we'll end up looking like them. ^^
horseatingweeds wrote:
I think a fun topic would be weapons for fighting off an alien attack. Here are the rules for this topic.

1. One weapon at a time.
2. Describe the weapon’s use and function.
3. Describe how it would be affective against an organization advanced enough to achieve intergalactic travel that would be interesting in attacking the earth and why.

Here is mine.

Acid nebulizer.

Makes a powerful acid into a very fine and concentrated cloud that would inundate a creature or vehicle.

An alien invader would certainly be equipped for protecting it’s self against kinetic force, heat and radiation but possibly not acid or possible an extreme alkali. Also, it would seem that an invasion would be for the purposes of achieving something. I would assume that such an advanced race would be able to manipulate molecules and have no need for specific elements. Regardless, they would be after something so I would assume that they would implement a foot soldier equivalent enabling them to be vulnerable to short range or hand held weapons used with guerilla methods, likely suicidal.
s43ros
seeing as they'd be from a different world that evolved completly different than ours, i'd say try coughing on them. It worked when the europeans came to the americas, i don't see why it wouldn't work on aliens. Although just to be safe we might want to go to that vault wherever it is that houses all the deadly viruses that we have pretty much eliminated and try using those on them. And while we are at it, try giving their ships computer viruses as well.,
QrafTee
Your post has given me two thoughts... of movies. Umm... let's see one would be Independence Day (great movie which had to do with aliens and a part where a computer virus played a major role in it) and the second movie which comes to mind is War of the Worlds (a below par movie which has human viruses [the simple flu and/or the common cold among others] play a role in the end of the movie). So I guess your ideas have some merits, I mean the movies play possible scenarios which may take place in reality, but some are more plausible than others.
s43ros wrote:
seeing as they'd be from a different world that evolved completly different than ours, i'd say try coughing on them. It worked when the europeans came to the americas, i don't see why it wouldn't work on aliens. Although just to be safe we might want to go to that vault wherever it is that houses all the deadly viruses that we have pretty much eliminated and try using those on them. And while we are at it, try giving their ships computer viruses as well.,
FunFunkyFritz
s43ros wrote:

I have no degree in biology but i don't think it's very likely that a virus could affect organisms that have evolved COMPLETELY separate from each other. It's like a fish bacteria infecting a tree or bird viruses infecting humans. Oh, wait - the latter has already happened Smile. That's probably because we share the same biosphere.

The same goes for writing a computer virus for the alien mainframe. We would not know anything about their computer technology, so it would be next to impossible to design a virus (not to mention the problem of deploying it).

I think the best chance fighting off an alien invasion is in numbers + conventional weapons. Due to some physical limitations it would not be very probable the aliens could outnumber us when they arrive from their long journey.
But then again, if the aliens gets their hands on some natural resources they could probably mass produce some devices that could subdue us. Those resources could be mined in the asteroid fields in our very own solar system.
jcvincent
wouldn't it be great to see a man fighting alines with his bare hands?
Karrde
C'mon, we all know the only way to defeat an invading alien force is with Slim Whitman records.

If movies and television have taught us anything, its that no matter how hopeless the situation seems, no matter how outnumbered or outclassed we are, humanity will always win, but only just, and by the most obscure method possible.

And just in case we don't... I for one welcome our new alien overlords!

Anxious
barata7
Coke Gun

As coke destroy a human body easily, it will easy destroy goozy alien based in the element Ca.

If it fails, the troops, still can drink it!
AdamantMonk
polarBear wrote:
if they survived, then
c)kneel down and seppuku
voila!

Like that... but instead of Iron, depleted Uranium or Tungsten A, also not just one, 300 MACs in an orbital array.

Totally lifted from Halo 2 but it would do the trick, but it would only be worth it if a NT Invasion was a reality.
Josso
I'd use EMP.
odinstag
horseatingweeds wrote:
The Conspirator wrote:

True, however a roman legion COULD be affective against a tank. Certainly, they would have to put down their pila and pick up a few Molotovs. Perhaps dig some traps and things.

Good point.

Make some sticky bombs. Throw them in the treads.
ocalhoun
As for using viruses on them, real or virtual it wouldn't work. All viruses are targeted at specific cells of specific organisims and are harmless to all others. Who knows, aliens might not even have cells, or DNA for viruses to corrupt. As for computer viruses, they are likewise targeted towards specific files on a computer, and it would be fantasticly improbable that thier computers would work in any way simular to ours. For example; perhaps their bytes are 12 bits long.
Bacteria, however, could take a heavy toll on both aliens and humans, as bacteria aren't targeted at anything specific, and will live out their lives just fine as long as conditions are good.

As we have developed completely apart, it's likely they'll be as unprepared for us as we are for them. Consider, perhaps they've never thought of a projectile weapon, and are as afraid of our guns as we are of their lasers. (You can't see the path of the bullet, and it makes a very frightening noise.)

What I figure to be most effective, however, would be the nukes. I don't care how advanced you are, that's a lot of energy to absorb or deflect. Laying traps and mines might also be effective, as they don't know the territory, or our technology. They wouldn't know the difference between an anti-tank mine and a laptop. (Alien 1: what's that odd object partialy buiried there? Alien 2: I don't know, it looks like it might do something if you push those things on the top. Alien 1: Sure, lets find out what it is...)
-SonyGamer
Nice topic. I think we should just throw some viruses on them. You would never know what there reaction would be. Since they are from a different world than ours. They could be immune to our viruses, or some of our viruses could be incredibally deadly to them. But using usual offences, like missles, etc. Probably won't work. Since there machines are surely alot more advanced than ours.
FunFunkyFritz
This is not a weapon, it's a defence:
* The grey goo umbrella ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo). Who could live without one if the aliens drops some human genome targeted grey goo in the atmosphere? Buy two and we'll give you a Slim Whitman CD.
Rebzie
Quote:
Nice topic. I think we should just throw some viruses on them. You would never know what there reaction would be. Since they are from a different world than ours. They could be immune to our viruses, or some of our viruses could be incredibally deadly to them. But using usual offences, like missles, etc. Probably won't work. Since there machines are surely alot more advanced than ours.
like in War of the Worlds good book I didn't like the movie with Tom Cruise though and i haven't seen the movie i've listened to the radio version. but then there's always the chance that we catch viruses from them. To be able to reach us considering how far our galaxy is from the nearest galaxy they would have to be far advanced to us. An invading race would most likely be simerlar to our plant as they would most likely want our plant for resourses that are simerlar to the ones on their home planet thus they would have mostly likely evolved to suit an environment simerlar to our own.
The Czar
polarBear wrote:
if they survived, then
c)kneel down and seppuku
voila!

That isn't an honorable thing to do?

I will just throw stuff at them or make them listen to Britney Spears Singing ...
illini319
I must say, as what other have already said, sneeze on them. Historically, biological 'warfare' has decimated populations to the point of extinction. In an argument to those who think that viruses or bacteria would not have the ability to infect something which it never has seen before.... I can only say do not underestimate off-target effects and punctuated equilibrium. I wonder why they call it avian flu virus...
indeedwrestling
I assume that our alien invaders will be made of liquids. So, we should microwave them using a series of giant microwave dishes. Then we should cover them in tupperware and eat them. Deliciousness~!
Mster
Thermite !!!! this thing buurns at 2500 degrees Celsius. It passes through steel like buutter. O f course there should be special thermite bomb launchers like the RPG- and large quantities at a time. Put some on their spaceship adn it burns a hole down to the earth.Their flesh is out of discussion.Plus it's a piece of cake to make just take powdered alluminium and **** (kids - don't play with thermite !!!)
horseatingweeds
Come on frihosters! This is disappointing! “We could like, get a big bat, that’s really hard and like, hit um with it”.

You have to think outside the box. Think of years by the 100’s & 1000’s. Heat, radiation, and kinetic energy space travelers are very ready for. Interdimentional thinking is required. Last ditch hard core sterile genocide.
nodarn
Okay now I will not post an answer here and if you know who I am and read other of my posts you will understand why.

First of all if there are any aliens that will come here, then we should try not to attack them right away, that would be simply a waste of them comming here.

Now if they do in actuality have come to attack us then how can we hypothesise on a weapon to attack them with when we do not even know their strengths and weaknesses. It will by known when we try something.

And I would suggest trying something like using a stick and hitting it with that and if that fails find out how they react to other things.

Do not hypothesise on what you do not know at all. This doesn't work like the scientific method.
Assiez
Well here are a couple possiblities....

Assuming that the aliens find this atmosphere hostile, they'd have to wear some type of spacesuit. Now also assuming that these spacesuits have some rigid parts, we could find the resonance frequency of the material and use large speakers to broadcast it. The frequency would basically shatter the material exposing the alien to the atmosphere....not sure exactly how well this would work in real life though due to differences in each suit and atmosphere interference.

Second possiblity. An attacking alien ship is most likely shielded against heat kentics and radiation, just to be able to travel through the stars. So how about using something that sticks to the hull of the ship, like a sticky or magnetic mine? The mine itself would not explose when it hits the hull but would stick, as soon as the ship enters or leaves the atomosphere a pressure charge would detnoate it. Such a explosion should be able to rip the hull apart during atmosphere entry.

And finally and most likely the least likely...trigger a small contained blackhole inside a ship. I've read somewhere that it is techinally possible to trigger small blackholes, if you get one into a ship the damage would be immense.

But this is all for hostile aliens, under whatever circumstances we cannot and should not fire first.
hofodomo01
ever seen 'mars attacks'? all you need is grandma's country musis
mephisto73
Cable TV. American pop culture would destroy any alien civilization.
mantasx
Well I would think that aliens, would be much more advanced than us and they wouldn't care about a small rock like earth, anyway... My weapon against aliens to survive, would be not to do anything. I think if we tried to start a "War" against these creatures, we would most certainly loose... So yah
kimiku
i will let them watch the Ring video so that they will die within seven days...

or we could devise a plan to steal some of their technology. This would give us a better chance of survival. Or we could use diplomacy. (in the movies)

But deep inside me i think they wouldn't attack since they would be excited about us as much as we are for them (if there is no attack)
odinstag
I have recently come to the conclusion that an AK47 would be a good weapon. For nothing more than the fact that is never stops working. LOL!

Let's hope aliens don't have good body armor.
THEemu
Quote:
I have recently come to the conclusion that an AK47 would be a good weapon. For nothing more than the fact that is never stops working. LOL!

Let's hope aliens don't have good body armor.

If the aliens are similar to humans, and have no body armor, then an M16 would be more suitable. But an AK47 or higher caliber rifle would work for the body armor which (intelligent) life could have.

As for an alien weapon, I think a test tube would do the job quite well. It would preserve those tiny cells that we might find on other planets (aliens).

But assuming you mean intelligent life, then I think a gun would work. It shoots and does damage to the victim. No need for anything else.
odinstag
I beg to differ.

The M16 is less reliable and more complicated. The average Joe could make an AK in less than a week from parts. With little more than hand tools.

You can punish an AK. You cannot punish an M16.

The average citizen soldier that would be needed to fight off hostile aliens on a large scale would have little time for the complicated maintenance of an M16. Soon it would be worthless. The AK is proven to work reliably despite this type of abuse.

The M16 is superior in certain aspects. But not the aspects that win an unorganized dirty guerrilla war. Where you have no supplies or bases to go back to in order to fix your equipment.

Hell, if you are smart, you only use your human weapon long enough to liberate a weapon of the enemy aliens. Let them be your quartermaster.
coolclay
I think if aliens were to come, they would most likely be friendly. It would be kinda like us searching for alien life, but they were doing the searching and found us.
The Conspirator
coolclay wrote:
I think if aliens were to come, they would most likely be friendly. It would be kinda like us searching for alien life, but they were doing the searching and found us.

Aggression and violence are not traits of humans, there traits of life. If aliens do come, they won't be peaceful cause peaceful species would not have survived, they would have been wiped out by or forced to be violent by other species.
Kev01234
If they were that much technologically advanced then we wouldn't be able to kill them with conventional means. We probably wouldn't be able to kill them at all. I think the only way to protect ourselves is to warp them into either another dimension or to send them into a black hole of sorts.

Maby we could use some kind of extreme gravity creator thing.

Kev0
horseatingweeds
odinstaq and THEemu, your knowledge of the AK-47 and M-16 is incomplete.

First, both weapons use a cartridge with similar amounts of propellant, AK-47 having slightly more. The main difference is caliber; diameter of the barrel / round. The AK-47 is the old 30 caliber rifle cartridge cut in half, making it an ‘assault’ rifle, 7.63mm. The M-16 (AR-15) fires a .223 cal (in) round. SO, the M-16 would be much more effective against body armor that we are familiar with such a Kevlar, which is a fabric. Solid armor, however, the AK-47 may be more effective with the larger and heavier round since it will not fragment and disperse it energy as easily.

As for either weapon being superior, it is really a question of situation. In a well supplied army the M-16 is definitely more effective, to go into why is a whole other topic.

This topic is about thwarting an alien attach, machine guns are kinetic weapons and I would assume an interstellar race would have advanced beyond vulnerability to such weapons.

Also, this topic is not on whether aliens would be aggressive. A race so advance would not likely be advance, contrary to Conspirator’s short sided biological view, due to the need for cooperation within the race as well as such advancement bringing the race past the need to aggress violently.

Kev01234, you’re doing well. You’re thinking outside the box but we need to use weapon that currently exist. They could attack tomarrow!!!!!
ebaerren
A glass of water and a baseball bat.

It can't fail.
horseatingweeds
ebaerren wrote:
A glass of water and a baseball bat.

It can't fail.

Or a...

hmm yes, a computer virus hmmm.

Laughing

Then hopefully their primery weapon is also a self distruct opening....
c'tair
The Conspirator wrote:

Q F T

Yes, if they had enough wits to come to us, they would either:
a) oblitarate our world easily, they would just use something like nukes on us, tested, PHYSICAL weapons. Yes, physics is the key to this, their physics level must be soooo much higher than ours.
b) destroy us in a war, but we wouldnt be able to do anything to them. They wouldnt risk, because even they couldnt be totally resistant to things like flame, plasma, or really heavy chunks of metal hurled at them. OFCOURSE, they may have already thought of that and a few hundred years ago invented some kinds of shields so yeah, either we get some secret plasma/laser weapons, which are on their level, or we just have to surrender and be at their mercy.
And yet again, if they turn us into slaves, we might glimpse their technology and use it against them.
Sneemaster
Better to use a giant mass/gravity device (using protons accelerated near the speed of light so that their relative mass increases) to destabilize their warp engines or cause them to fall into earth's gravity well (if they're orbiting the earth). Or pepper them with high speed hot plasma projectiles (by using microwaves to heat hydrogen gas into a hot plasma and use magnetic fields to fling it at the aliens at high speed). Or, depending on their communication systems, overload them with radio waves (or light or neutrinos...whatever they may use). Maybe play annoying music (or transmit saved by the bell episodes) until they get sick of us and leave (assuming they have ears). Or sling engines on a huge asteroid and slam in into them when they're not looking...even the best shield system couldn't block a 2 mile long asteroid!
The_Gamer294
schumway
I would assume that they would breath something more toxic than we can imagine...

most anti-toxic things involve coal... used to filter it back into O2. We also know what fine coal particles could do...

I would propose an attack that would consist of proximity bullets, perhaps like paint gun pellets or something... filled with microsized coal dust and pink fiberglass insulation. the coal would cut off their toxic requirements and the pink insulation would cause internal 'bleeding' as well as getting trapped in their suits causing tremendous itching and scratching that they would not notice us slipping into their space crafts and hitting the autopilot to get out of here before the next global warming video showing the planet drown in water
organopleno
Anti-Alien Weaponry (worth a try?)

Consider the typical alien physiology:
They use telepathy and have rudimentary ears mouths and noses etc.
It is quite possible they might be very sensitive and susceptible to certain high energy, wide frequency complex sound.

Now consider the typical cathedral organ - a massive machine capable of producing vast quantities of powerful sound vibrations not tuned to mathematically exact frequencies thus bombarding an alien with a very wide spectrum of random sound vibrations that might possibly be devastating to their advanced but somewhat frail physiology if hit without warning.

So if they are hostile, just lure them inside the Royal Albert Hall London on some conference pretext or other and with the help of Max Reger's Passacaglia in D minor on full organ I will personally vaporize the bastards.

It might be a bit messy!
Peter.
dude_xyx
Well if real alien invasion happens it will be pretty much one sided battle. If they are technologically superior to travel between stars then they could take care of everything we throw at them. That's unless they are like us, thinking landing on another world is more important thing finding answers to more immediate and common problems.
coolclay
An instantaneous time adjustable black hole.

You can program it for different amounts of gravity and different lengths of existence.

Set it off near the buggars, and they get sucked to a new dimension and your black hole is gone before it causes any severe collateral damage.