FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you know how to love?

ppalayo
I want to know how you show you love somebody. I am asking that because I had a girlfriend who did not say that she loved me. I do not why. I think some people does not know how to say I love you or express a feeling.
ehunter
How to say it Question Shocked

Hmmmm, I would open my mouth and slowly spell I Y E U O O L V. Oops wrong order I L O V E Y O U.

Laughing
Sadow
You can also show your love by buying something nice. When I met my gf I bought her a couple of silver earrings and she loved them (and me).
honestman
Whilst I would always tell me g/f that I love her and she me, I do think that actions speak louder than words. Caring for someone, or doing this unselfishly for them ans shoing a bit of tenderness can say I love You many times over in one day.

It always works for me.
tlambert
There's a difference between several ways of showing / saying you love someone. Loving like "I love you" at the start of a relationship is hardly the same as "I love you" some years later.

I think it's weird to say "I love you" is showing your love. Like saying it is the solution to make sure the other one knows it. Aren't there enough other ways? Like small things in a relationship (making coffee, offering a biscuit,...) that make you sure you're loved?
danito
Maybe she didn't say she loved you because she didn't love you. or would that be too simple an explanation? those 3 words get tossed around like tourists at the running of the bulls in Pampalona. It's lost the meaning. What probably 75% of people mean when they say "I love you" is "I really really like you alot"
girlcalledjay
I agree with Danito...but perhaps I would have said it more gently Smile

Another thing that you might consider is that she didn't know how to say it. Many girls are afraid to say I love you to someone in case it scares that someone away. Also, they don't necessarily want to be the first to say it.

I think that dwelling on this is not good. Move on. Find a new girl and don't be waiting to hear those words...look at her actions and treatment of you. That will tell you far more.
Da Rossa
I've seen unhappy things in this topic already.
Some said "how to love" - The answer is: make it in your own way, man! Love shall not follow a pattern. Love is unexplainable, it is hard to accept this idea but it is. It has no explanation, you don't actually control it. Then, being worried about how to "do" it is, in fact, a waste.
Some said "how to tell her it?" - The answer is... the same as above. And I advise you not to put it all in a gift or something expensive, 'having' is ephemeral, 'being' is eternal. They will forget the gifts, but may not forget who you are. Perhaps the advice would be "buy something nice" - much better. Nice doesn't mean expensive, personally I respect and care more about girls/women that get happy with small things, and sees beyond the appearances of each thing. Those ones that feels the reasons to be happy in each particular and ordinary thing. This is the kind of woman I like. Now ask how to tell some of this kind of woman how you love her? Pick a flower from the ground and give it to her, and make sure you won't say any pre-invented words. Make it natural. Ok, this is not the same as saying "I love you" but when she puts all these things together she will naturally KNOW it. Proceding that way, you stay protected from the implications from a dry "I love you" sentence.
varon
you know you love someone if you're willing to give your whole life for that person without asking for anything in return. you stop thinking about yourself and you begin to prioritize the other person. if the person loves you, she'll do the same thing for you, and there you have it, an ideal relationship. Razz

don't mind the fact that she never told you she loved you; maybe she shows it in her actions. in which case, it's just so much better. (though of course it WOULD be nice if you heard "i love you" every now and then! words are just as important as speaking it in action!)
Da Rossa
varon wrote:
you know you love someone if you're willing to give your whole life for that person without asking for anything in return. you stop thinking about yourself and you begin to prioritize the other person. if the person loves you, she'll do the same thing for you, and there you have it, an ideal relationship. Razz

don't mind the fact that she never told you she loved you; maybe she shows it in her actions. in which case, it's just so much better. (though of course it WOULD be nice if you heard "i love you" every now and then! words are just as important as speaking it in action!)

This is dangerous. Experienced men have told me that: "when it is about their wives, their children's mother, then it is worth to sacrifice everyting for her. But, if you're not married yet, and you're facing a difficult relationship with your girlfriend, then, when it's finished, you shall say: "F*** off!! I've sacrificed me entirely for this... bit**?"" <-- then you grow up.

Now, before doing what you say, I'd advise to.... spend a long time studying the person. Seems to be unnatural but that would prevent a lot of suffering.
c'tair
^ TOTALLY agreed man. Id love to be in some relationship with a somebody, but Im afraid its too early, that I dont know her enough yet, she doesnt know me enough to actually devote herself to me. Although I am willing to make the first step, show her that she means something for me, show her that she's not just the next, because I actually believe in this. Anyways, about showing love, you must show her care, not by buying stuff for her and other such materialistic stuff. First come emotions, true ones. If you know her a month and buy her earings and think you both love her then in most cases itll fail, and youll get stung and itll hurt. But you will learn. As I learned the hard way.
tingkagol
saying i love you these days is so cliche.

you'll know someone loves you even if she's mute.
Da Rossa
tingkagol wrote:
saying i love you these days is so cliche.

you'll know someone loves you even if she's mute.

Not exactly... the movies and soap-operas made the sentence become so cliche, but it's still valid: it's up to the lovers to notice whether the one who says "I love you" is doing according to the essence. The situation will tell you.
apple
tlambert wrote:
There's a difference between several ways of showing / saying you love someone. Loving like "I love you" at the start of a relationship is hardly the same as "I love you" some years later.

I think it's weird to say "I love you" is showing your love. Like saying it is the solution to make sure the other one knows it. Aren't there enough other ways? Like small things in a relationship (making coffee, offering a biscuit,...) that make you sure you're loved?

the highlighted quote above makes the world of sense to me...

saying the words "i love you"...has it's place and its importance....

but "SHOWING" your love is even more effective....

for me...love is not the superficial "i like u a lot" feeling....
love goes beyond the boundaries.....

love will not stand by and watch you hurt or be hurt...
love will not hold on to you when it knows you want to go....etc...

i think if i love someone....and they expressed that they want out of the relationship....the biggest display of my love would be to let them go and still be there for them if they need me....

notice i said if they "need" me....not be on their beck and call like a fool...dats another topic.
Eclipse
All right, so I'm hardly in a position to give advice on the subject, but oh well.

If you wish to say "I Love You" wait for an appropriate time. Saying it everyday almost demeans it. Therefore, do something special for him/her and then say.

Example; Charter a single-engine airplane. Take her over a beautiful stretch of land, wherever it is, and let her take in the sights. On the way back be sure to include it casual conversation, however you can.

Another example is if your low on money try using some resource to your advantage. If you or a relative owns a boat and you know a river that's close by then take her for a late-night rendevous under the stars. Try to be silent so she can take it all in. That usually works well.

If your underage or don't have the budget for something like this have her over to your house and make her a meal. It doesn't take that much to cook and you should learn how anyway.

...did that help?
BosLady
I have been with my husband for 14 years. After being together that long, the words, "I Love You" just come natural. We don't even realize we are saying them. Words are just words, people can say them without meaning them or they can mean it and feel that way but never utter the words.

Love to me is all in action. Showing your love. Buying someone things may be a way of showing love but I don't agree that it is a good way to go about it. Love has nothing to do with items, baubles, etc. it is about feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to turn away a gift my husband buys me. What I am trying to get at is, it is not the gift it is the thought involved in the gift. If you love someone, you should know them real well. When I buy a little something for my husband, it is not to show my love, it is for my enjoyment of seeing his surprise or happiness about what I picked out for him.

Showing our love is a big thing in this house. Making my husband's lunch for him, starting the car for the other person in the morning, making brownies for your wife who is having a "monthly thing", holding hands. These little things show love more than the actual words could ever allow.

~Tiffany
carlospro7
BosLady wrote:
I have been with my husband for 14 years. After being together that long, the words, "I Love You" just come natural. We don't even realize we are saying them. Words are just words, people can say them without meaning them or they can mean it and feel that way but never utter the words.

Love to me is all in action. Showing your love. Buying someone things may be a way of showing love but I don't agree that it is a good way to go about it. Love has nothing to do with items, baubles, etc. it is about feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to turn away a gift my husband buys me. What I am trying to get at is, it is not the gift it is the thought involved in the gift. If you love someone, you should know them real well. When I buy a little something for my husband, it is not to show my love, it is for my enjoyment of seeing his surprise or happiness about what I picked out for him.

Showing our love is a big thing in this house. Making my husband's lunch for him, starting the car for the other person in the morning, making brownies for your wife who is having a "monthly thing", holding hands. These little things show love more than the actual words could ever allow.

~Tiffany

I agree, love comes from your heart and your feelings. Not the words, or materials. Gifts are nice, but I don't think they should be uses as a main form of expression.
mialynavahy
i love you is very hard to say, especially if you dont know how you feel... i think it will take a long long time to say I love U to someone