FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Test/Experimental Design

Donutey
I've got an experimental design I've been working on to try out some new ideas. It's still got some issues, notably a horizontal scroll bar in IE 6 that refuses to go away. It's a fluid design down to 800*600 and up from there, and (depending if i'm editing it) it's be valid code. Tell me what you think.

http://www.donutey.frihost.net/
puredazzle
nice site! i have some suggestions:

when you move your mouse over the links in the menu. I think that the underline would be nicer if it was rounded in bouth corners.

i dont understand why you got two different menus?

and in the links menu it would be nice if you had some hoovereffect!

but after all, nice site!!

g luck!
venkateshwarans
The bottom bar with sitemap... could be more centred. The site looks neat.
Donutey
If you look at the code, the footer isn't supposed to be centered. It's artistically off center Rolling Eyes.

To have a fluid design both corners can't be rounded on the hover for the main menu, I think I'll figure out something though.

The side link section was done quickly, but I'm not sure I'll add a hover effect, because I already have it on the main menu. (Too much of a good thing eh?) But I'm still working on how that #main section is presented.

If you look at most websites, they have primary and secondary menus, most put them one on top of the other, I've just put the secondary one to the right.
However, I'm pondering using something like http://www.theregister.com.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Tomppe
Nice design. But the bottom bar look's really stupid.. It should be centered like the main site.
photographerguy
I have to agree about the bottom not looking good to the left.
I don't like the lines in the background, it is distracting and takes away from the otherwise good layout and colors.

I think I understand where you are coming from with the off center bottom. On monitors with 1024x768 resolutiuon, it may look OK, but with higher res, the bottom is just way too far off center. On a lower res, it won't be as extreme. Something you may want to consider.
Donutey
photographerguy wrote:
I have to agree about the bottom not looking good to the left.
I don't like the lines in the background, it is distracting and takes away from the otherwise good layout and colors.

I think I understand where you are coming from with the off center bottom. On monitors with 1024x768 resolutiuon, it may look OK, but with higher res, the bottom is just way too far off center. On a lower res, it won't be as extreme. Something you may want to consider.

True, I've not gotten to testing it in different resolutions, I usually stick with 1024x768 when I'm designing stuff. I'll center it.

Yea, I've been thinking of getting rid of the lines, or making it look less prominent(sp?)... I'm working fixing those two things right now.

Donutey
Worked on the footer, and link section. Also made the page wider. The verdict is still out on the background striping... I think I'm going to make the color difference next to nothing to make it really subtle.
Bengt
how did you solve the horizontal scrollbar prob ?
i have had it as well grr
photographerguy
It looks much better with the bottom centered.
Nice work.
Donutey
Bengt wrote:
how did you solve the horizontal scrollbar prob ?
i have had it as well grr

Well, I haven't, but I think it has something to do with how IE handles percentages... ie. it adds them up and gets more than 100%...
Tomppe
Donutey wrote:
Worked on the footer, and link section. Also made the page wider. The verdict is still out on the background striping... I think I'm going to make the color difference next to nothing to make it really subtle.

Now the page looks more clean than before, nice job!
Donutey
I've put the design up for the rest of the site, so you can just click on my signature to see it now. Rolling Eyes

Also, used:
Code:

html {
   overflow-x: hidden;
   overflow-y: auto;
}

To make sure horizontal scroll bars never show up, however, I made sure my site is fluid down to sufficiently low resolutions that you'll never need a horizontal scroll bar.

engeland
It's a little too spacious on the body. I suggest you increase the size of the banner, it'll take the glare away of the white bg from the body
fx-trading-education
When you click on the language menu at the bottom you get automatic translation of the page. I don't know for other languages but for French you end up with some very strange or funny translations (it is always the case with automatic translation).
So, I think it's better to avoid it because if people cannot understand English they will not understnad the French either
rein
hey, great site man. Looks really professional and clean.
On a higher resolution (i have 1152x864 here) the content gets a bit wide though. Maybe you should slap a maxwidth on the div#center?

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.
Donutey
fx-trading-education wrote:
When you click on the language menu at the bottom you get automatic translation of the page. I don't know for other languages but for French you end up with some very strange or funny translations (it is always the case with automatic translation).
So, I think it's better to avoid it because if people cannot understand English they will not understnad the French either

I think machine translation in general is not that great, but I'll look at different translation services (maybe worldlingo?) and see how they compare. I think part of the problem is that a lot of the language is technical, which doesn't do well with machine translation.

rein wrote:

hey, great site man. Looks really professional and clean.
On a higher resolution (i have 1152x864 here) the content gets a bit wide though. Maybe you should slap a maxwidth on the div#center?

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

I'm going to play around with the body width a little. I'll post when I've updated it. I'm sort of against any sort of fixed width, for compatibility, but I'll look into it.

--

On an off note, it would be really awesome if somebody running Safari or konquerer(sp?) could send me a screenshot of my site in those browsers. I would like to check if they're showing up right. 10Frih for each screenshot. Thanks.
cr3ativ3
I like the design where the page is centerd in the middle of page the nav bar is pretty cool only thing. I don't realy like is how the ads are positioned some of the times the ads will go off your center part of the page and it makes it look a lil bad so yeah.

Other then that I think it looks great! Smile
ninjakannon
Your site is not cluttered, has fluent design, all links work (that I've found Razz) and it's easy to use. It's also quite interesing.

One improvement though, I clicked a few of the translation links, and they work fine. But then... I couldn't get back into English without pressing back a few times. You need a translate to English button when the site is not viewed in English, although I'm not sure you can do that. It would look a bit odd if you had a translate to English button on the English pages, but you have the buttons there for the other languages when they're being viewed in that language, so it wouldn't be too bad I suppose.
simplyw00x
I really like the page; one small issue is that the page scrolls too far - I assume the main box is meant to extend right to the bootom of the page and it doesn't. Otherwise, I'm seriously impressed!
Marston
simplyw00x wrote:
I really like the page; one small issue is that the page scrolls too far - I assume the main box is meant to extend right to the bootom of the page and it doesn't. Otherwise, I'm seriously impressed!
Exactly what I was thinking.
iflash
the blue top is the best.
consider use more graphics, I count 6. One picture...........
I am a Flash designer and I miss it in your site Sad

the bg stripes is a good one, maybe you can use in a different way.
ninjakannon
I've just noticed another thing, on this page the Google adsence was in French ("Annonces Google Afficher des annonces sur"). There was a little box with a button next to it that allows you to search for anything you like on google, but this too was in french.

EDIT: I wasn't looking at the page in French, it was in English. Just so you know.
ANOTHER EDIT: The Google ads at the bottom of the page are also in French.
SamiTheBerber
You have done good work with your site. It has good layout and seems to be well-coded. Information is good, so I will rate it 9/10.
sprinqles
I'd also rate it a 9 out of 10. The menu text is a bit large for me and its a bit too simple. Very Happy
Donutey
cr3ativ3 wrote:
I like the design where the page is centerd in the middle of page the nav bar is pretty cool only thing. I don't realy like is how the ads are positioned some of the times the ads will go off your center part of the page and it makes it look a lil bad so yeah.

Other then that I think it looks great! Smile

Problem fixed, although as IE 6 ignores min-width statements it still might show up if you're using 640x480 resolution...

Thanks.
Donutey
Marston wrote:
simplyw00x wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking.

Fixed, a margin setting was carrying over to another paragraph class.

Thanks.
Donutey
iflash wrote:
the blue top is the best.
consider use more graphics, I count 6. One picture...........
I am a Flash designer and I miss it in your site Sad

the bg stripes is a good one, maybe you can use in a different way.

I've been working on increasing the picture count, but on any given page there are 18 images (not all obvious) Rolling Eyes.

Thanks.
Donutey
ninjakannon wrote:
I've just noticed another thing, on this page the Google adsence was in French ("Annonces Google Afficher des annonces sur"). There was a little box with a button next to it that allows you to search for anything you like on google, but this too was in french.

EDIT: I wasn't looking at the page in French, it was in English. Just so you know.
ANOTHER EDIT: The Google ads at the bottom of the page are also in French.

That happens when the page hasn't yet been indexed by Google, not sure why though. (I signed up for English ads.) I think it might have something to do with the "Traduire en Français" title and alt text for the French translation button.

Thanks.
ninjakannon
The ads on that page are now in English, you'll be pleased to know (if you didn't change it yourself Razz)

I've just realised that you're site is .frihost, and not .frih, and that your site appears on google when you search it. How come? Mine site, and every other site on the frihost servers that I've visited (visited and noticed Cool) is a subdomain of http://frih.net, not http://frihost.net Shocked (Both instantly redirect to http://www.frihost.com though).
Donutey
ninjakannon wrote:
The ads on that page are now in English, you'll be pleased to know (if you didn't change it yourself Razz)

I've just realised that you're site is .frihost, and not .frih, and that your site appears on google when you search it. How come? Mine site, and every other site on the frihost servers that I've visited (visited and noticed Cool) is a subdomain of http://frih.net, not http://frihost.net Shocked (Both instantly redirect to http://www.frihost.com though).

The earlier/earliest FriHost members are hosted on the first server, which uses the .frihost.net domain. All new members are on the second server with a .frih.net domain.

To get on google you should submit your site to google, google treats subdomains as individual sites, although it may take several weeks before your pages show up.

Hope that helps.
ninjakannon
Ahh, Ok. Thanks a lot for that.

I've added my url to google using the feature they offer. Now I'm just gonna wait a while and see what happens Cool