FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Starting with PHP and going to place with no internet.

DeadX
Hi,

I'm recently started with php (about a week ago now) to make my crappy site more intresting and dynamic (the site itself has never been further than my hard disk because I felt it was not ready to put online, that it lacks something). After 'brainstorming' for a while I decided to remake it but dynamic, with an (mysql) database, sort of portal, but an self writen one, because I like to make stuff for myself. I think the best way to do that is to use php.

Because I go on holiday soon and I have no internet there I'm searching for must-now tips and suggestions how to prepare myself to learn php without al the handy tutorials and forums about php on the net.

I've already downloaded the php documentation from php.net, installed an apache webserver with the php-module and mysql, I even have found an book about php at the library (sort of reference book).

anyone has suggestions or tips ?
smartbei
Look for tutorials (google) and save them onto your hard disk.
Don't underestimate the power of a good editor (Smile).
Go to: http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/php/ and download the cheat sheets for MySQL and PHP.
Download the MySQL documentation if you can, and some good tutorials for that as well if possible.
snowboardalliance
I always recommend
http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/index.php

It's how I learned, they say don't download the whole, waste of bandwidth, etc., but it might be a good idea if your going away.
DeadX
Thanks for the tips,

Now I've noticed that the versions of PHP and MySQL are different on my private localhost and om frihost (server 2),
on my localhost :
MySQL version 5.0.21
PHP Version 5.1.4

on frih.net (server 2) :
MySQL version 4.0.23
PHP Version 4.4.2

I've looked at the php doc site, well, it seems they keep one documetation for al their versions, so prolly they point out differences in their manual.
For Mysql I found out that verion 5.0 has an separate documentantion, so I've downloaded both the doc for 4 and 5.

After about trying some basic stuff in php I figured out that notepad really isn't good for programming :p,
I now use notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net), it's stil 'basic' but thanks to the color-coding it's easier to find typo's and () {} mistakes.

I've also downloaded the pdf versions of those 'cheat sheets', I guess I will print them out as that will be handier than alt-tabbing :p. Most probably I will also donwload other articles form that site as they seem very handy to me. I will also search for good tutorials with google, but thats for later today.

For the hudzilla phpbook, I certainly look at it, but I don't know if I'm gonna download the whole book (due those 'warnings'), with a bit of luck the book will be at the library when I go back a day or two before I go away, but I certainly will make a selection of the most intresting parts of the book
snowboardalliance
DeadX wrote:
For the hudzilla phpbook, I certainly look at it, but I don't know if I'm gonna download the whole book (due those 'warnings'), with a bit of luck the book will be at the library when I go back a day or two before I go away, but I certainly will make a selection of the most intresting parts of the book

Well I think it covers the same stuff as php.net, I just found it to be a little easier to get into than the official documentation. It's written more for beginners, while the official doc can be a little confusing at times when you don't know anything about php.
DeadX
I'm going away for the first +/- week now, after that I will be home again for 1 or 2 days. This week I won't have much time, so I've just packed some printed files (like the cheats cheats) and the one book from the library. When I come back for the 1 or 2 days I will be going to the library again en search for that one book from paul hudson.

If someone knows links to good tutorials for php/mysql, please post them, I will appreciate that Wink

Thanks to everyone that helped me already
and thanks in advance for those who will be helping me after this post Smile