FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Asp or PHP ??

iron_trooper
Asp or PHP ?? what is the best ??
manumiglani
Both languages has their advantages and disadvantages..... It simply depend on the user....

PHP is found on almost every web host but ASP is mainly found of windows servers and requires MS Sql that makes the cost higher.....

here is a great resource about this http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20051222ASPvsPHP.html
Shirish
well i prefer PHP over ASP

Though ASP.NET is better than ASP..

But inbuilt library support in php is just gr8..

you have numerous functions to do almost any task even image handling , encryption which are absent in ASP

So either look for ASP.NET or PHP

Leave Aside ASP for beginners
BruceTheDauber
What about JSP? Seems like corporates are big fans of JSP. I got hold of the Tomcat server to see what it was all about, but I haven't spent enough time with it yet to know if it is better than the alternatives.
bugra9
i prefer PHP but Flash is the best. Very Happy
manumiglani
BruceTheDauber wrote:
What about JSP? Seems like corporates are big fans of JSP. I got hold of the Tomcat server to see what it was all about, but I haven't spent enough time with it yet to know if it is better than the alternatives.

yeah I heard about Jsp a lot from my friends...... Some even beleive it is better than asp and php.....
D'Artagnan
bugra9 wrote:

I prefer flash with php Laughing ...
Or Action Script have reached a point that it can be used like php...

About JSP i really don't see any ASP/PHP conflictant "project" it's really good idea to do a forum or a CMS in jsp?

I heard sometigh about cfm is a option, i really don't know so much about cfm, just looks like that's too linked with Cold Fusion... or asp is ISS only and talking to much?
novisdesign
I like to use php.
surdy
I have used PHP and am very comfortable with it. It works for me . I never tried ASP.
Both have their own pros and cons. But i stick to PHP because above all its open source and readily available.
Stubru Freak
They're both really good, php slightly better in my opinion, but asp is way more expensive.
hellrahul
bugra9 wrote:

Asp.net is the best till now.

Php is better than Asp.

I use php language.

About Flash. I don't prefer it. Only one problem with flash is that indexers or spiders can't index the flash pages. So you can't find more details of flash page if you are serching for it.
Stubru Freak
hellrahul wrote:
bugra9 wrote:

Asp.net is the best till now.

Php is better than Asp.

I use php language.

About Flash. I don't prefer it. Only one problem with flash is that indexers or spiders can't index the flash pages. So you can't find more details of flash page if you are serching for it.

Flash is totally unrelated to php. Flash is client-side, php is server-side. Flash/actionscript can be compared to html/css/javascript
tony
php is my favorite scripting language. here's why...

-it's easy to learn - i tought myself the basics in just a few weeks
-it's powerful - the mysql/php api is particularly useful
-it's open-source
-it's updated frequently to resolve security flaws and improve functions
-it's licensed for fsf-friendly free use
-it's easy to install on linux (for arch: pacman -Sy php)

ASP can't offer those^. JSP can't offer those^. Flash is not a scripting language, but a protocol w/ a built in client-side scripting language called ActionScript, which can't offer those^.

Stubru freak: there are 10 types of ppl in the world. 11 is 3...
iflash
D'Artagnan wrote:
bugra9 wrote:

About JSP i really don't see any ASP/PHP conflictant "project" it's really good idea to do a forum or a CMS in jsp?

I heard sometigh about cfm is a option, i really don't know so much about cfm, just looks like that's too linked with Cold Fusion... or asp is ISS only and talking to much?

Action Script is oriented to run in localmachine mode, PHP is a backend code. means that PHP run on the server, (connect Data Bases, files, etc.)

For the moment Action Script is taken the XML way to reach backends proposes.
redice
iflash wrote:
D'Artagnan wrote:
bugra9 wrote:

Action Script is oriented to run in localmachine mode, PHP is a backend code. means that PHP run on the server, (connect Data Bases, files, etc.)

For the moment Action Script is taken the XML way to reach backends proposes.

I think PHP is the best. Use it under linux, it will give extra performance than M$ system on same hardware.
zorindart
There is an additional advantage for using PHP: Hosting is usually much cheaper for Php than for Asp
lukeropro
zorindart wrote:
There is an additional advantage for using PHP: Hosting is usually much cheaper for Php than for Asp

Yeah, windows servers are expensive. For me, PHP is easier to understand. ASP is just greek to me
Talk2Tom11
I would prefer ASP.NET over PHP because i am more familiar with the .net languages... however... more servers support php so i do use that more then ASP.
orcaz
I prefer PHP to ASP.NET. it is compatible in more servers... currently learning php programming now...
asteriks
Of course Php. This is new, exiting programing language. You can do many thing in php. Its border much bigger than asp. It is continuously developing. But some people see this as a negative side of php. I think this show the php's power. The things that cannot be done in asp, can be done in php.
ck88
I prefer php over ASP. As mentioned above it's easier to get to and cheaper to use. If you set up your own server (e.g. Apache) it is actually for free. I can't follow the question unrelated arguments about JSP though. I have used both, php and JSP with MYSql or postgres databases and I do not see a big difference in them. I guess if you are a web programmer that is used to html, css and Javascript PHP might be your first choice. If you are used to program in JAVA, JSP is as easy as PHP.
balaum
i use asp, but i prefer PHP, when the application needs speed and robusy you don't have to hesitate to choose PHP

other fact is the price to host PHP.. its cheaper than asp
Al-Mo7tref
I prefer PHP lang. it is more flexiable than ASP
zjosie729
I like PHP better than ASP.
osbits
I read from top to the bottom,It seems that I'd better choose PHP for my beginning of web design...
Bless me!
THE11thROCK™
PHP is great considering the many modifications it offers. It's always evolving and upgrading. In other words, it is dynamic. Best of all, it is open source.
wimvpetegem
For me depends PHP as best, but that's is totally my personal opinion...
PHP is fast enough and is simple to learn.
orcaz
yea... php is so simple to start off with... i already could create a blog using php and mysql after 0.5 day sitting in front of my comp searching and learning on Google!
saurabh.sauron
i like PHP as it is cross platform, platforum independent and is really easy to learn. combined with MySQL, it is extremely powerful...
sprk3
Dear Friends

I am planning to design a cj publisher website.Shall i design it in php or asp.My site use lot of affilate links & Database.
kingy2k6
My choice would certainly have to be PHP. I started using it in conjunction with MySQL about a year ago and i have never looked back. I learnt ASP.net at university, but i have found that despite the lack of a decent development environment for PHP, it is simpler to learn and easy to understand how it work. I write PHP code using KWrite on my linux box (similar to but better than Notepad) and think that writing the code yourself gives you a better understanding and more control anyway. With ASP.net things seem more complicated.

However which ever language you choose, my advise to a beginner would be...

Don't think you can get away from learning HTML first.
proto
i would choose PHP since its free and it uses FREE mySQL
although i use ASP in coding some of my work
quartz
I also would use php because its free and easy to understand
umeshtangnu
iron_trooper wrote:
Asp or PHP ?? what is the best ??

Asp or Php Well it depends on various things

1)Your Platform
2)Your Site Size
3)Function of your site

If you r using windows iis server and intend to make a basic site with no or little data base use u can use asp quite well;

If you r developing a website that is catering to a specific app domain and has a lot of data base acess then u can use php along with my sql

but the factors that tilt the scale in favour of Php over other technologies like asp ,asp.net ,jsp ect is that is is free ,robust and does not need any specialized platform to work on just download the zip file and you can program the world
bytebase
PHP, sure!
toasterintheoven
PHP, ASP is too bland
welshsteve
I think this is all down to personal preference. Personally I'd go with PHP because its open source and there's plenty of forums and website offering free advice, script etc, whereas ASP, and particulary ASP.NET can be expensive.
silverdown
PHP is what I use normally, I never liked ASP or ASP.NET but that is just my opinion.... hope it helps! Shocked
nvision
well..!! i wolud suggest asp.nrt is slightly better tha php..!!! bt it has a disadv as only a few host support asp.net..!!