FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP

shoes22
Known as the free photoshop all over the internet, it has been voted the #1 Image Editing and Manipulating software, that is free. What are your opinions on it?
tony
i love the gimp! there's a reason it's voted #1. ive used gimp and photoshop cs2 and i actually have to say i prefer gimp despite the fact photoshop cs2 costs hundreds of dollars. gimp runs faster, is easier to use, and works on linux unlike photoshop. this is yet another example of free OS software outperforming expensive proprietary software.
bnbrown
The Gimp is great!
dray101
Gimp is great! I love free software especially when it is so good! I must admit though that I have never really used Photoshop. Wink

So if you haven't brought Photoshop and haven't downloaded Gimp, Get Gimp now! Razz
redice
I use linux, I like gimp!
DEViANCE
gimp is good.
but i like PS more Very Happy
hellrahul
Thanx for telling about GIMP.
I am going to check it out.

Thanx dude. Hoping it to be better than Photoshop CS2
Ranfaroth
GIMP may seems difficult to use, if you've never tried Images manipulations softwares, but it's the case for each of those softwares.
So instead of learning how to use Photoshop, learn using GIMP, which has a better future (more and more used by profesionnals, thanks to it's modularity...)
{name here}
A less clunky interface would be nice - tabbed image editing wrapped up in a single window would be an addition I'd love to see. Until them I'm sticking to FW.
darvit
I've downloaded the GIMP after running out of 30-day free trials on Photoshop. I have to say though, that I still like Photoshop better because the GIMP's navigation is too cluttered, and I've been so used to Photoshop's navigation and commands that the transition to the GIMP has been a not-so-smooth one. Sad

Thankfully, I now have my full copy of Photoshop CS2, so now I won't be using the GIMP anymore.

I find the GIMP quite unappealing. That's just my opinion, though. Peace. Wink
peroxide
I find it hard to use too, as I've been using Photoshop for quite some time. It's too cluttered and is it really necessary to split a program into 2-3 windows? Many times I've been frustrated by trying to figure out how to do a simple crop or levels or h/s/b.

Photoshop for me.
saurabh.sauron
i say if u cant afford PS, go in for GIMP. it has nearly all the features of PS. the only drawback is the somewhat cluttered interface. but once u get used to, it can match PS as it is equally powerful.
Xcelerate
Other than the different windows it uses, I think it is pretty nice. Plus the free aspect is always a great plus. Very Happy
djclue917
Xcelerate wrote:
Other than the different windows it uses, I think it is pretty nice. Plus the free aspect is always a great plus. Very Happy

There's a software called the GIMPshop. It's basically like a fork of The GIMP. In simple terms, it's simply The GIMP modified to use Photoshop's conventions (i.e., menu ordering, single window, etc.)
Phil
Quote:
There's a software called the GIMPshop. It's basically like a fork of The GIMP. In simple terms, it's simply The GIMP modified to use Photoshop's conventions (i.e., menu ordering, single window, etc.)

I've tried GIMPShop and find it nothing but trouble.

About the only drawback to GIMP is it's interface. Those windows all over the place can be annoying, especially if you like working with a full screen.

That said, the GIMP is definately a viable alternative to Photoshop. And new resources for GIMP are popping up everyday.
I have a little list of sites Here.
For a very active forum on the GIMP check out
GIMPTalk.
To sum up what everyone else here is saying: "Try GIMP!"
mwilson82
Since I do most of my photo editing at work (and no, its not what I'm supposed to be doing) I like GIMP much better since they have a portable version and its the closest way to get like a portable Photoshop, although on the home system I definately prefer my PS better.
THE11thROCK™
Gimp is not as user friendly as Photoshop CS2. There's long way to go for Gimp to outclass or outmatch PS. I tried Gimp but I still stick with PS.
snowboardalliance
No way can I afford photoshop, so GIMP is just great being free.
wimvpetegem
Yes, GIMP is in my opinion good enough for a free photo-editor program.
I'm not using it many times but if I need a photo-editor program I will use GIMP.
crasso
It's always difficult to explain Photoshop's user why GIMP is worth alternative, so that ends with a free of charge reason or being multiplatform.

But, may I say, it is only the matter of routine. The next generations of users would get the routine of using GIMP just like the users of the Photoshop did untill these days.
DaniDarko
GIMP is awesome

even though youve got to find out the tricks of the trade for yourself, its worth it. totally awesome. i use it everyday. and i find out new things about it almost everyday.

GIMP is the bessssssssssssst. Very Happy
falconfx
I think that GIMP is the best image manipulation software among free/open source ones. It isn't worth spending hundreds of $ to get a program you'll never completely use.

The only thing I would improve is the main interface: a well designed MDI one will surely be better.

Happy GIMPing!
S3nd K3ys

Oh, wrong gimp. Embarassed

I used PS for a while. Gimp does everything I've been able to do in PS and more. (morphing is cool) And you don't have to worry about the cost, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Besides, at some point in your life you'll realize that pirating PS is not worth it, especially if you actually put anything on the web created with pirated PS. Wink
{name here}
djclue917 wrote:
Xcelerate wrote:

It's basically GIMP with a big window around it. It's the same clunky interface it's alway's had with its two windows and additional windows per picture.

After you use Macromedia Fireworks you realize every other control scheme and interface is crap for editing images. I can't believe anyone else has figured out tabbed image editing.
S3nd K3ys
{name here} wrote:

After you use Macromedia Fireworks you realize every other control scheme and interface is crap for editing images.

That's a matter of opinion. I seriously doubt you are even remotely qualified enough to make judgements for everyone's taste and preference. Rolling Eyes
votd
GIMP is good, it helped me a lot when I worked on a contest site layout. Well, there wasn't Paint Shop Pro, but only GIMP. It's very easy to use even for a novice and it's functional too. It's also freeware. But, it's not perfect, and Paint Shop Pro is better.

But it's not Paint either! It's advanced graphic editor with many functions and basic, aswell as advanced effects and tricks.
Da Rossa
This made me interested in the GIMP....
but some basic questions:
What are the system requirements;
The total size
The average memory usage
and.... what features you don't find in GIMP but do in PS?
quartz
Gimp was not easy to understand how it is working when i tried it. So i use PS. Gonna getn new version and try it now. I would like to use it because its free.
Da Rossa
Anyone knows a easy/friendly tutorial for beginners?
budazz
Its been discussed million times lready... it is free good image editing software it is the counter part of photoshop/...
mike_phi
Hi there, I am new to the whole image editing game, and used a few other free editors then got on to Gimp, ok I have never used PhotoShop but I think Gim is really good and very poerfull.

I have a question about image amnipulating, I need some tips in two aspects.

(a) How can I mearge or morph two images together seamleasly, both images are very dark but when I put them together I can still see the join.

(b) How can I cloud out selected parts of an image e.g.the edges or part of an edge

cheers
Studio Madcrow
The GIMP is good, but it lacks a few important features such as native CMYK support (useless if you just work for the web and home printing, but essential if you need higher end output) and support for color depths greater than 24/32 (depending on if you have an alpha channel or not) There IS a KDE image editor called Krita that does these things, but it's more aimed at creators of original art work a la Corel Painter (lots of natural media tools, little in the way of photo manipulation tools)
S3nd K3ys
Da Rossa wrote:
This made me interested in the GIMP....
but some basic questions:
What are the system requirements;
The total size
The average memory usage

Depends on your OS

Depends on your OS

Depends on your OS

None that I've ever needed. More features I've found PS does NOT have that Gimp DOES have.

Also, you can get Gimpshop which is a version built to mimick the look/feel of photoshop, if you like that sort of thing.

Wink
ocalhoun
Da Rossa wrote:

Well, there are a few. What I miss the most is the layer properties dialog. GIMP can still do many of the things that you can do with that, but not all of them, and not so nicely organized.
mike_phi
Hi there I would like to get hold of a published book on the Gimp with a few tutorials and various effects and use of tools similar to what exists from photoshop if anyone knows of any cool publications on Gimp please let me know

cheers
raaeft1
I downloaded GIMP for my laptop as it is free but I am at sea how to use it.It would be better indeed if there are detailed tutorials on how to use the free software.
Moreover, the developers should improve the interface and reduce the clutter and bring GIMP's functionality at par with PS.
Animal
raaeft1 wrote:
I downloaded GIMP for my laptop as it is free but I am at sea how to use it.It would be better indeed if there are detailed tutorials on how to use the free software.
Moreover, the developers should improve the interface and reduce the clutter and bring GIMP's functionality at par with PS.

GIMP's functionality is pretty much the same as Photoshop as far as I'm aware. As with any software, it takes time to get used to a new interface, but you may find GIMPshop easier to use. It is essentially GIMP, but has had the UI changed to look the same as Photoshop, and has had a few commands renamed to make it more familliar to Photoshop users.
liuxu
GIMP is good, but not excellent. I find I have to use Photoshop in many cases.
Q5U8
Yes, but Photoshop cost some bucks, and GIMP is free to use. Wink
sabe
OK for the 3rd time. Those of you using Gimp do you know of any good tutorials?

I am thinking of teaching my students to use it but need an easy tutorial before I can do it.
Studio Madcrow
sabe wrote:
OK for the 3rd time. Those of you using Gimp do you know of any good tutorials?

I am thinking of teaching my students to use it but need an easy tutorial before I can do it.

The e-Book "Grokking the GIMP" is good, but covers the GIMP 1.x The basics are the same, but you'll have to adapt some of the lessons to whatever newer version you're using. Find it at: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/
sabe
Thanks for the link.

It looks good. I can modify, as needed, and use it. This really helps. Laughing
carlospro7
i agree, it is the best free image editing tool to exist. I love the program and how good it is. Not only do I use it for linux, but I also downloaded the windows version of it.
blk3
I've tried both GIMP and Photoshop I have to say my money (just kidding coz its free) goes to GIMP. My reasons includes aside from being free, it uses very little disc space, I think it uses less than 50MB (the Installer is I think just less than 20 MB). Also It has versions for both Windows or Linux. and for those complaining that its hard to use, you just need a little getting use to its like for those people who gets used using Linux then switched to Windows or vice versa, at first you have to get a hang on how certain things are done. Same with GIMP, migrating from PS into GImP is not that really hard..